HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
You need both inner conductor and the outer braid connected.
In fact having a gap in the geometry is probably not good. It needs to be continuous coax cable to guide the RF correctly.
(The signal actually travels in the insulator, not the wires. The conductors serves to guide the waveform)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable

Send it to Horizon. They are usually good about repairs in and out of warranty.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:03 AM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Whats Wrong

Help needed please.
I built up the the Attiny 2313 version of this project using a plug in version on
vector board as a breadboard. I'm using a Futaba FP-T7UAP 7 channel transmitter
for testing. This is the first time I've used the Tiny series chips although I have used the Microchips. I downloaded the Hex code and used PonyProg to load the program.The following test where made.

Checked VCC +3.34v
Checked Clock OSC for 4.0MHZ
Checked input signal on pin 11 of 2313 + going pulses from the Futaba 3.3v.
this is with the emitter follower removed and pin 11 direct to pin 2 of the radio
with pull up resistor.

Now the problem. when checking with a scope on the 2313 output pin3 I see no output unless the power is cycled on an off many times (sometimes messing with the reset pin will start ouput) When there is output it looks normal except again
using the scope the output data bits are changing without any stick changes on
the Futaba. As a test I connected the 2.4 transmitter strip and although it bound
with the receiver all the servos and throttle cycled back and forth.
I would appear that there is a problem problem the burning the code. As I have
no experience with the ATTINY series this could be the problem can anyone give me any idea on where to start?

Thanks Joe
Joe P is offline Find More Posts by Joe P
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Looks like I screwed up the fuse bits by not unclicking the divide by8 box 8 and locking the fuse
bits. Anyone on list that can properly burn a 2313 for this project please contact me.

Joe
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Good news,

After a false start with the ATMEL chip everything is sorted out
and working with a Futaba radio to control a VAPOR plane.
Elevator,aileron and motor all on the correct channel using the transmitter
module from a Spectrum DX4E. I haven't been able to figure out the proper method to Bind the system yet it seems cycling the power is what does it. Does anyone know the exact procedure? If the industry switches to DSMX will the same 2313 code still work with a new transmitter module?

Joe
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Good news,

After a false start with the ATMEL chip everything is sorted out
and working with a Futaba radio to control a VAPOR plane.
Elevator,aileron and motor all on the correct channel using the transmitter
module from a Spectrum DX4E. I haven't been able to figure out the proper method to Bind the system yet it seems cycling the power is what does it. Does anyone know the exact procedure? If the industry switches to DSMX will the same 2313 code still work with a new transmitter module?

Joe
All the codes for binding, range test and various operating modes were described earlier in the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=309

Second byte in the packet is the model match number. The DX4e module will operate in DSMx mode.

DSM2/DSMX mode selection is all done at bind time by the module.
If you bind to a DSMX receiver the module will not work with previously bound DSM2 receivers, and visa versa. (Till you rebind and switch it back again)
So unless you need DSMX mode, operate it in DSM2 only mode for all receivers.

All of this works as described in the link above, and is the basis for the ER9X implementation of DSM2

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:37 AM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Good,bad & ugly

Final results on the ATMEL 2313 DSM2 project.

It works sort of, will only bind to a Vapor plane no other receiver
and then with only the proper procedure, that is turning on the TX then
powering the RX and finally cycling the transmitter training switch
several times this interrupts the PPM signal line to the 22313 module.
This was a interesting experiment but not being able to bind to other receivers ended up making this project little value. At this point I will look at other options such as the 9X modification.

Thanks Joe
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Final results on the ATMEL 2313 DSM2 project.

It works sort of, will only bind to a Vapor plane no other receiver
and then with only the proper procedure, that is turning on the TX then
powering the RX and finally cycling the transmitter training switch
several times this interrupts the PPM signal line to the 22313 module.
This was a interesting experiment but not being able to bind to other receivers ended up making this project little value. At this point I will look at other options such as the 9X modification.

Thanks Joe
What code did you use? If it was the original code then it was intended for auto bind modules. The DX4e does not auto bind on power up.

Post a link to the schematic and the code you used and I might be able to hack in binding function. It should just be a matter of adding a switch and a bit of code to change the first byte if it detects the switch on power up.
(I would need the source, not the hex file)

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for taking a interest in my post, as a old-timer with no coding
ability I'm way over my head.

Post #52 as the schematic and post #77 the Hex code I used version
TXDSM2-V1_1 I don't know where or if ever the source code was posted.

I used the transmitter module that was removed from a Spectrum DX4E transmitter the actual RF printed circuit board (module) has bar code sticker with DX5e marked. I assumed (you know the result of that) that I could use it instead of the LP5DSM shown on the schematic.
At this point I'm totally confused about which DSM2 module does what
and any help would be appreciated.

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Need a bit of help as I wired up a module using the schemematic and the exact component and code posted here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=237.

First the radio wouldn't bind to the receiver but i have sorted that now and it binds to the ar6400 but now I can't get it to respond to any input. I'm using a futaba t8uaf or ff8 whichever and the same rf module as is in the post any help would be greatly appreciated or if you have any ideas on what i can do.
Thanks in advance
dragon56 is offline Find More Posts by dragon56
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
[removed: those crazy 9x'ers had me confused]
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,033 Posts
surprisingly nobody has mentioned the new hk dsm/dsmx module here. a fraction the cost of even low end spektrum radios. its ready to go with ppm built-in. of course you could rip out the pmm interface and build your own avr version from scratch. lol!

dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Found one problem with the board i made and that was that the pro mini i bought was a 168 with 16mhz and not a 328 with 8mhz, is there anything i can do to get it to run as arduino is not something i have used before any help would be good?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
You might try looking for this line in your source code:

#define TICKS_PER_uS 1 // number of timer ticks per microsecond

I believe this is for 8MHz. You could try setting this to 2 for 16MHz clock. I expect to be playing with a 328P (Arduino Extracore) at 16MHz in the next week or two, and I'll be finding out for sure what changes I need to make to the timer routines. With any luck, the above is all it will take

Ziggy
ZigmundRat is offline Find More Posts by ZigmundRat
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
in the code there is a timer multiplier that needs to be changed to work on 16Mhz. I think it needs to be changed to 0x62 I believe, but I could be wrong. The instructions to do this property are actually commented in the code, just look for that and you should be fine, don't change the tics per us setting.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Well i've tried chaging the ticks per us and that has done nothing, the timer multiplier i couldn't find so i tried TCCR1A = 0x62 and that made no difference, if you could be a bit more specific on where this multiplier is as i have not done anything with arduino before. I thought this would have been fairly straight forward but seems not so any more ideas that i could try would be great and thanks for the ones so far.