HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,673 Posts
Lots of analog servos are not happy below 11 msec.
Even those of the same model number some will work, and others won't.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
every one of the dozen or so different servos (vigor, towerpro, hk, 500, 900, etc) work fine down to around 3ms. i actually use 8m rate because 8mhz avr is not capable of proper 20ms period. it will do 2ms but that wont work for obvious reasons.
You're referring to the ability of the servo to rapidly accept commands from a directly connected receiver (or whatever other device like an Ardupilot APM). I was talking about how rapidly you can send a command to the radio with good results--which can't handle more than one command every 10-ish milliseconds at best. This is a limitation of either the radio or the receiver and has little to do with the servo's capabilities beyond providing us with a way to visually observe the result of the commands sent to the radio.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I will confirm that karl's situation is not the radio at this point, but an incompatibility with the particular receiver. I have used the same code with the same radio and the same DSM2 module and have not had any problems.

I have not however used the setup with any of the UMX RXs, so some modification may be in order to make them compatible.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
I've changed this portion of the code to keep the frame rate from being too quick.
Any comments?

Code:
#define FRAMEinterval    15

void sendDSM2() {
  if(currentMillis - previousMillis > FRAMEinterval) // wait for proper frame rate
     {            
    previousMillis = currentMillis;                
    Serial.write(DSM2_Header, 2);
    Serial.write(DSM2_Channel, DSM2_CHANNELS*2);
     }
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:25 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Lots of analog servos are not happy below 11 msec.
Even those of the same model number some will work, and others won't.
that could be. we are talking at least couple hundred run at 8ms no problem but i may have just been lucky. all mine are super cheapie type. maybe "brand" servos are not so forgiviing.

savior, you are right about my comment referring to servo signals only. nothing to do with what goes in and out of the different rxs. thats more unpredictable. i know shorter than normal frame rates do cause trouble with escs hence the i2c and reflash cults.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
That didn't work.

Back to the drawing board
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Is the frame rate just slightly too long? This reading is taken on pin 3 (TX) of the atmega328

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347683100.058294.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 102.3 KB
Description:

Here is the PPM stream timing:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347683328.433741.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 103.5 KB
Description:
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Whats your clock speed?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:39 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
8MHz
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Is 8MHz not proper?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
It should work, I have no clue whats going on, do you have a different Rx you sould try? It could be something specific to the rx they use in the umx things.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
When I did have an AR6115 (?) laying around last time I built the module, it did the same thing.

I've tried different UMX planes and different transmitter boards (DX5e, HP6DSM, LP4DSM) and get the same result.

I just put the board from the HP6DSM that I used in the video into a 9x that uses ER9x firmware to send the signal to the board and it works properly. Nice and smooth. I'm stumped.

Everything should work properly built up on a breadboard, correct? The breadboard won't cause any problems with signal, will it?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Futaba ch assignments

Has anyone tried the version of this thread using the Tiny 2313 using a futaba
transmitter? Are the channel assignments the same as the Spectrum?
I would like to use the Fatuba with indoor planes such as the Vapor It will only
function as long as the channels are the same.

Thanks Joe
Joe P is online now Find More Posts by Joe P
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
You mean the first version of this mod? Yes it works fine with a Futaba 9C and with my Microstar2000 when I set the channel order to Futaba.

I haven't installed the "digital direct" module into the Microstar yet, but it should work fine with the latest firmware in the encoder.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, MI, Haslett
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Help with dx6i 2.4ghz board plug ripped out

Hi
This is probably way below the caliber of this thread by I need help with my DX6I
2.4 ghz board. I pulled the coaxial plug off the board while trying to change my antenna. Horizon will not sell me a knew plug in board and by the time I ship it too them and pay for parts it will be way too expensive. Can I just solder the center wire of the coaxial cable to the wire going from the now ripped out coaxial plug on the board. Is there also a hookup required on the sheath wire of the coaxial or does this stay neutral? If I just have to hook up the center wire to the wire going into the pc board I can handle the soldering job. If I also have to hook up the sheathing I don't think I would have much luck with that.
lklansingkiter is offline Find More Posts by lklansingkiter