HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Jun 2008
93 Posts
Hi all

seems the Graupner mc32 directly supports the serial protocol for modules connected to ext ppm. The only thing needed is a voltage converter to bring it down to 3.3V. I have an mc32 and an lp4dsm2 module, will test it and report back the results as soon as I get the voltage regulator. However, to select the correct regulator, I should know the current the DSM module draws is 50 mA enough?

greez chris

PS: I am thinking of this converter:
http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/ik120...0?Ntt=IK1203SA

It seems to provide 75 mA @ 3.3V, I guess this should be fine?
seuchato is offline Find More Posts by seuchato
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfliboy View Post
First off thanks to all that have made this thread come alive. Great work here.

I've been working this now for aquite a few days with no success. Using Cs original post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=237

I've had no luck at all. My changes are as follows.

5V UBEC in line after TX 9.6v power to a 3.3v reg (removed from DX4E) 5V to raw and to 3.3v reg.

No changes to code at all. Futaba 7U (shows RF signal on display) or my trusty 7C that I already use with a chainlink LRS.

I have 2 DX4E modules available and both do the same. I am able to rehook to DX4E Tx and verify working with a AR6400 brick/rx.

In bind mode I get the red 4/sec flashes and normal I get the green 1/sec flashes.

I am able to get a serial monitor screenshot but thats greek to me, no offense to any greeks LOL

Any and all hel;p greatly appreciated

Still trying to get it to work here. I've now swapped in a MLP4DSM module, Still a no go. The led does light on the tx module, I'm still getting the 4/sec flash in bind mode. Not sure where to look now. I'm running C2PO's code only no changes or anything else on the arduino. Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! We have success. After hours of troubleshooting and trying a total of 3 different modules (2 DX4E and 1 MLP4DSM) we have fully working spektrum module with the DX4E. All my mistake..... I had forgotten the TX pin on the Arduino, when I first soldered the arduino to the PCBoard. So I added the pin from the top and thought my connection to the PCBoard was fine. I just now soldered directly to the top pin of the arduino and waaalaaa SUCCESS. Thanks to al that have thrown out the ideas. Great Project

I just finished flying my MQX with my old Futaba Conquest Radio (my first radio) THanks all.
mrfliboy is online now Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Last edited by mrfliboy; May 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Hi
I already read most of the thread but I have still two questions to build my SW.
Maybe someone can answer:
1. Is the RF module capable of transmitting 8 channels or only 6 channels?
2. How should the binding values look like?
Should they contain the actual values (with changed header = 0x98, 0x00) or should it be fixed? If fixed, how are the values look like for 8 channels? I only found a sequence for 6 channels.
Thanks
Rooby is offline Find More Posts by Rooby
Old May 22, 2012, 04:39 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Build your own DSM2 transmitter module

step 1. purchase dsm2 transmitter

step 2. remove dsm2 module

step 3. add arduino controller

step 4. install in dsm2 transmitter

lol!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
step 1. purchase dsm2 transmitter

step 2. remove dsm2 module

step 3. add arduino controller

step 4. install in dsm2 transmitter

lol!
Ok and what was the question?
Old May 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
no question. just commenting on the irony that first step in building diy dsm2 rf module is to go out and buy a dsm2 rf module.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
There is no irony. You take out the DSM2 rf module and use it with something that ISN'T a DSM2 transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooby View Post
Hi
I already read most of the thread but I have still two questions to build my SW.
Maybe someone can answer:
1. Is the RF module capable of transmitting 8 channels or only 6 channels?
2. How should the binding values look like?
Should they contain the actual values (with changed header = 0x98, 0x00) or should it be fixed? If fixed, how are the values look like for 8 channels? I only found a sequence for 6 channels.
Thanks
#1: Depends on the hardware. I don't know of any that support less than 6. I think upwards of 14 could be possible depending on which module you're working with. Also, you could alternate between model match ID's using multiple receivers. I'm having good success with 2 orangeRx receivers at once.

See the first page of the thread for the answer to #2.. I think the channel values can be zero or the centermost value--this might not be the same for all receivers.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; May 22, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:31 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
actually i read the whole thread some time ago and understand whats going on. i do agree that adding some capability to a radio thats lacking is worthwhile. ive been converting sim and toy heli remotes to turnigy 9x as can be seen in my thread in radio section. but the thread title here does seem ironic that to make a diy dsm2 module first you have to go out and get one. probably could have been worded better.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:36 PM
ROFLCOPTER
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
You're confusing two separate things that have the same name. "RF module" customarily means a self-contained unit that is made to be swapped out for other similar modules on a radio. In this context, the rf module is circuitry that is taken from a transmitter that doesn't have the aforementioned interchangeable "RF module" and you use that hardware to make it into such an interchangeable device. They're just homonyms.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
actually "rf module" often refers to a small circuit board inside the radio as well as removeable unit. if i could find low cost dsm2 boards id also add that to my collection of radio options.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Hi Iron Savior

thanks for the answer but

#1 The question was if the DX4E module (AMTX11) can transmit 8 channels or even more when I feed them with 8 channels info over the UART.

#2 On your link I cannot see any info regarding binding.
I see 3 choices:
-Take a fixed sequence after the header info (but I have never seen a sequence for 8 channel in the web)
-Take the last values of the sticks before going into the binding and repeat them.
-Take always the actual stick values while sending binding info (header 0x98 0x00)
It would be intersting how DX8 is working.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
I tried sending more than 6 to the DX4e and LP modules when working on the ER9X/DSM2 firmware and was unable to get it to work.

ER9X uses actual channel outputs when binding, which sets the correct turn on defaults.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
ROFLCOPTER
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
actually "rf module" often refers to a small circuit board inside the radio as well as removeable unit.
That's what I said.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
In case anyone cares.
Mine works flawlessly so far.
Runs on a 2s lipo, 3.3v regulator inside, based on an Atmega168p. If you can make your own boards, using the arduino mini
'is a fair waste of money, all I needed to put on was the Atmega, 2 resistors, the regulator, an 8mhz oscillator, a switch, and a peizo.

Dead simple, costs around $5 without the lipo or module. I'm still refining the board layout, but it definitely works.

I included the board layout if anyone wants to use it, along with the schematic (eagle) if anyone wants to re design the board layout or make it better.
the board included isn't physically the same as the one In my module, but it should be easier to etch. It's single sided, and that PDF is pre-reversed.
--pics later--
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Last edited by Legot; May 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:24 AM
jxx
Denmark, Region Syddanmark, Esbjerg
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Hi

Will there be a diagram ? (I will use it to Futaba F9 transmitter) and why are you using external battery packs for the system ?, Would it be possible to make it smaller, I want it in the original module hole on F9 ( atmega168v-10p SMD ? )
jxx is offline Find More Posts by jxx
Last edited by jxx; Jun 19, 2012 at 03:38 AM.