Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfFear View Post
i need help for my tx.....
why it dosn't work? hmpf

any idea ?
Didn't you mention getting a scope to look at your PPM signals?
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
i self don't have a scope and knows nobody that it have.
but i want to try it with the soundcard on my notebook today
GolfFear is offline Find More Posts by GolfFear
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Now that I have one of these in my hands I can see how different they are from the rf board in the DM8 module.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:25 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
I'm getting erratic behaviour with my module used in my Aurora 9.

Do I need to add a circuit to limit the PPM pulses to 3.3v?
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,410 Posts
I have a strange behaviour. I built 3 converters. One for a FF7 with a DX5e module pulled from a DX4e. Working perfect. Then I built another two, same circuit. One with the small 1mW module, working also fine with a FF9 radio. And then I have my nemesis.

Built the same like the others, a DX5e module from a new V2 mcpx DX4e. I tried everything. checked the code. Checked the serial signal to the RF module. Built a serial interface with a Prolific chip, which is capable of 128kbit (reading the same data like when the module is connected to the DX4e back). When I try to bind, the RX changes flashing, and stops flashing. But afterwards the light does not get solid. If I plug the module to the DX4e back, everything works fine (I soldered a connector for testing on it).

The only difference I found so far is the time between 2 frames. With the DX4e it is about 21ms, with the arduino and T10CP I get 23ms. Can this be the problem ? The impulses of the serial communication are the same length, so the bitrate should be fine.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Joined Dec 2002
16,552 Posts
Are you binding to the MCPx?
It is fussy about the timing being too long, but will work with anything below 22msec, right down to 11msec.

Best time to use is 22msec. Works with everything I tried(AR61xx,AR7000,AR8000,MCPx, DSMx mode where applicable)
(This is the total time for the frame including the data packet, not the time from the end of the data packet to the beginning of the next one)

Pat MacKenzie
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:19 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,410 Posts
I tried binding to a 6100, 6210, I will try an AR8000 today. It seems the frames come with a time of 23ms out of the futaba. Contrary, if I use my first built module, I can get it to bind.

I will take all the modules I built on Monday and compare them systematically.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts
Hi All,

Need some help here.Want to get mode 4 on a DX6i which does not allow channel reassignment as far as the sticks go. Is there any way around this other than pulling the plugs on the main board and switching them. Another way would be to get a Turnigy 9 and stick a DSM2 module in it. Any other way?

Knighteyes0425
knighteyes0425 is offline Find More Posts by knighteyes0425
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,552 Posts
You might be able to do it from the service menus:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905561

Pat MacKenzie
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just found this thread yesterday, and I just wanted to say that you've done some awesome work here!

I have thought about controlling my new mSR X (and more advanced helis) with a computer, and you've finally got me on the right path!

Last night I whipped up a quick Android app that lets me see the values coming out of the controller. You guys made it really easy!

The next step for me is gutting my second controller (just snagged it for $15!) so I can talk to the module directly and fly the heli from my phone.

Here's a video of the app I made that reads the controller:
Blade Helicopter Controller to Android Phone (2 min 0 sec)

I read on another thread (I think) that there is a bit of a binding procedure when you're talking to the radio? I can find or figure it out myself, but if anyone knows what that is or has a link handy, I'd appreciate it.

I'll open source all my code when its a bit cleaner!

Thanks,
-Taylor
tlalexander is offline Find More Posts by tlalexander
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,552 Posts
There are two kinds of modules. Some of them go into bind mode every time the module is powered up. Those are simple to use
The other requires a slightly different header to enter bind mode. Generally those ones require you to push in a stick or something like that on power up to enter bind mode.
Bind mode can only be entered on power up, not later.

You should be able to modify your Android app to display the value of the first two header bytes. to see what is going on.

Can you describe the hardware+software you are using to go from serial into the USB port?

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,105 Posts
@tlalexander: That's pretty cool. Have you looked at these two pages?

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/issues/detail?id=330

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Thanks guys!

@Daryoon - I hadn't seen those pages. I'll look them over!

@pmackenzie - Yeah I'll have to change my app to grab the first header bytes. Right now it just keeps displaying the next packet it finds. I have the kind of transmitter that requires you to press down on the stick to enter bind mode, so I'll have to sort that out.

I do give some description of my setup in the video description (which you have to go to YouTube for, instead of watching the embedded one).

But basically, I have a 3.3v USB to serial board (FTDI type) I got from Sparkfun.com, and I have the RX and ground on that hooked up to the data and GND lines of the controller.

Then I wrote an app that uses an open source FTDI library for android to talk to the FTDI chip. Its all pretty simple actually.

I'm using the standard Android development environment (Eclipse) that they suggest you use (and is free).

See the youtube video for more links.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Got it working! I can fly the heli with my phone now! (well, I can control all the channels... flying with a touchscreen is damn near impossible)

The binding array for my transmitter is:
0x80,0x00,0x00,0xAA,0x05,0xFF,0x09,0xFF,0x0D,0xFF, 0x13, 0x54, 0x14,0xAA

which appears to be a little different than others.

Anyway, I stayed up till 6:30AM to do it, so... I'm gonna go to bed now.

More details later.

-Taylor
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,552 Posts

You can send the channel data after the header bytes during binding
It is used in some receivers to set power on positions and failsafes, and with the MCPx it is used to set the operating mode.

Pat MacKenzie