HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2001, 08:52 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
The Problem with Electrics is...

it's a bit like helicopters - you spend a half hour tinkering with them, and then get a two minute flight. (told to my son when I took him to join my new club)

I just thought I'd better let all the good people on the 'Zone know so that we can avoid wasting any more time and money before gettng back to some real models. I've got to make a couple of calls to heli pilots so you'll have to excuse me.

Regards, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2001, 08:59 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
The effects of hoof and mouth are truely sad.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old May 27, 2001, 09:08 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Lets see here!

IC:

1. Turn on plane.
2. attach glow plug.
3. prop engine till it starts.
4. let engine warm up to operating temp.
5. adjust needle valve.
6. adjust needle valve some more.
7. Ready to fly.
And thats assuming the engine starts and runs right to begin with...

Electric:

1. Plug in battery.
2. Ready to fly.

I can see how that could take a half hour
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old May 27, 2001, 09:14 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,456 Posts
Either John E is on 'metric' time or obviously he has never flown a ZAGI X.

But to each his own. We should wish him well in his future IC endeavors.

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old May 27, 2001, 09:16 AM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
Nah, he's right.

Don't you find it SO much harder to start an electric motor by opening the throttle, compared to the tried and tested means of the flick-start and glow battery. Then the test to make sure it's running inverted. Then chucking it. Then watching it cut out and land. Repeat. and again. Then after flying, cleaning the gunk off the model?

Seriously, if people are disappointed with the performance of electric flight models, they're flying the wrong model. Simple as that. An easy-street on 8-cells and a decent motor is BALISTIC! I mean scary fast. If that's what you want. Keep at at, you'll find something that "floats your boat"!

Sure, 10 years ago you only really saw trainers and gliders in E-power, but now you can get ANY type of model, and it will work if it's built and set-up right. As with IC motors, electrics do take some skill to set up right (multiplex foamees excepted - they'll usually fly perfectly first time!). It's a very different skill to setting up an IC engine, though, and getting it wrong will always lead to disappointment.

I've flown IC and Electric and now i've gone "all electric" because I think they're so much cleaner and quieter than IC motors, and I like that. I didn't do that ten years ago because I didn't want to fly a trainer or a glider, now I can get whatever I want without the noise, mess (and fuel requirements - yes i used to run out quite often!) of IC motors.

To say you prefer IC is fine, because some people do like the higher Power/Weight ratio and the noise/smell of IC motors (I miss the smell of glow-fumes!) Maybe some have established knowledge of IC and therefore fell more "comfortable" with it. But to say electrics are rubbish is totally unfair and ill-informed as it would be for me to say IC has had it's day and should be outlawed for being noisy, smelly, messy and potentially dangerous. Which, arguably, it is.

Ahhhh, write it and wait for the responces to FLOOD in!
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old May 27, 2001, 09:37 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
John, it sounds like you like to stir the pot with a BIG spoon. You've posted 880 times in this forum, so far anyway. What's the matter, haven't gotten' any lately, good flights that is.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 27, 2001, 09:51 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John E:
it's a bit like helicopters - you spend a half hour tinkering with them, and then get a two minute flight. (told to my son when I took him to join my new club)

Regards, John
It's not hoof and mouth, it's tongue in cheek. Read it again guys. This isn't a diatribe against e-power. The IC guys told his son this. The rest of the post is a clever bit of sarcasm directed towards the know-it-alls. Some of you fellows take this too seriously and are too quick to jump on any perceived criticism. Dave C.

[This message has been edited by davecee (edited 05-27-2001).]
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old May 27, 2001, 09:54 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
gdb1973,

I'm with you. This guy was surprised to hear that I go to the E only evenings but I don't fly gliders. After hearing the comment I quickly took out my Magnetic Mayhem (similar to the 600 Race) powered Electric Scout, switched on, plugged in the battery, and then flew for 10 minutes of aerobatics. I was looking for a reaction after landing, but the guy was gone! I don't know if he will ever get to see my Velkom powered ElectroStreak, but after flying it with the Magnetic Mayhem I am confident that it will put a 600 Race/Easy Street firmly in a corner - that is not a challenge!

Costruction of the Astro 25G/4*40 continues at a pace, so perhaps I'd better take it to the fun fly comps and not reserve it for electric evenings.

Hi Larry, You are clearly impressed with your Zagi X.

BTW, you might like to re-read my original post - perhaps there's a problem with the British humour, or it could just my humour

Regards, John
Old May 27, 2001, 09:57 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Well done Dave C - you got in first!
Old May 27, 2001, 11:06 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I have 6 Gassers sitting in my shop, I can only fit (1) at a time in my car. When I go to the field it takes a Half an hour for setup & fueling, then if I'm lucking the plane will taxi out without the motor stalling, If I can make a good takeoff rollout I will get a 15 minute flight that requires keen concentration because the planes weighs 6 pounds & will make crater if I crash & also smash a $80 receiver to bits.
I have a bandage on my left thumb because last week the prop just tipped my thumb but yet cut clean to the bone! Then when I am ready to leave, I will have to spend another half hour to 45 minutes of disassembly & the required DESLIMING of all that damn castor oil of the entire plane!
My electric plane gives me the same 15 MINUTES of flying time yet requires that I stick in the battery pack, hit the throttle & toss! Now that simplicity & quick fun with NO CLEANUP!
I am considering getting out of slimers, I have not flown much since I got my Sky Scooter & Teddy. If I sell my slimers & equipment I can raise a lot of money for my electric operation, I just may do that! Ebay is calling.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old May 27, 2001, 03:52 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,299 Posts
Hi John

I think some here have missed your point. The person who made that comment to your son will need condiments for his "crow" after a thorough demonstration of the E Streak or Scout. Or perhaps Nigel's P Jet.

Not to take anything away from glow flying, but what could be simpler than installing a battery and launching for an 8 minute flight ?

Some folks may feel there is only one way to do things. Unfortunately, they are missing a lot of life and living. Hopefully this person was smiling when he made that statement.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old May 27, 2001, 04:05 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Here in America John we worry a lot about foot in mouth, but we fail to recognize rampant foot in ear. Now all the defensive people want to know, did you punch him in the mouth for blasphemizing electrics?
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old May 27, 2001, 05:03 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,679 Posts
I just came back from my first ever show!

It was mostly IC but the electrics were impressive too. Everyone liked my Kyosho Flash and 6' Super Zagi.

To my amazement, both IC and e-flight were equally respected and enjoyed!

I guess you can say that there was no problem with ANY type of R/C...
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old May 27, 2001, 05:19 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
Yeah, I think IC and Electric are very different, they've both got advantages and disadvantages. Although electric has come on so far in the last 10 years, it's catching up FAST! I don't think it'll ever replace IC, though, but it WILL form an ever larger section of RC modeling.

It's really a question of what you want out of it, I suppose. If ludicrous speed and noise is your thing (and I fly a twinjet, so it probably IS part of it for me) you like one kind of model, if you want to relax and take it easy to like another. Some days you feel like tearing around like Chuck Yeager on acid, other days you want to drift like a cloud and soar like and eagle. I enjoy both, and on any one day may do either.

Some days I listen to Guns 'N Roses, some days it's Mozart, some days it's Jazz, some days I have silence. Depends what mood i'm in, it's the same with models.

I think a lot of people would enjoy themselves a LOT more if they didn't insist on pidgeon holing themselves as one kind of "modeler" and trying to "be" that person as much as possible.

It's like Bikers, really. Some like Harleys, some like Japanese sports bikes. I love 'em all and some days I enjoy cruisin' and some days Blastin'! But when I ride a Harley I get the piss ripped by JAP riding yuppies and the local Desperate Dans hate my riding a Jap sports bike! Diametrically opposed people, who just happen to hold identical attitudes, from opposing sides.

Sad, really. There was a point to all this, but i've forgotten what it was.
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old May 27, 2001, 05:50 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
That Kyosho Flash is an awesome plane! It will hold its own with any similar sized IC plane - especially when you hop it up with a cobalt or brushless. I've seen them fly a couple of times - wish I had one...

I keep having to talk myself out of one when I go in to EAM. I know if I came home with one I would be sleeping somewhere else!

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor