HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Question
what size motor to convers speed 400 e-plane to glo

I have the GP EP Lancair... Thought I would try electric but just not up for it. What size glo motor would this take.. Weight is approx 30 oz. with battery, etc... I assume that would hold true with a motor and tank in their place regarding weight. Like an .10 - .15? It's a streamlined design.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCP1&P=ML

Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:29 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,533 Posts
.15 is usually the equivalent of a Speed 400. But from what I've seen the Lancair has never been designed for glow power - I'm not sure it'll take the punishment of the engine torque going from its peak during the power stroke to a negative value during the compression stroke. Electrics provide their power with relatively constant torque.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
.15 is usually the equivalent of a Speed 400. But from what I've seen the Lancair has never been designed for glow power - I'm not sure it'll take the punishment of the engine torque going from its peak during the power stroke to a negative value during the compression stroke. Electrics provide their power with relatively constant torque.

Ivan
True... i was thinking of strengthening the forward fuse a bit.. but I guess it could still shake apart. the fuse is thin fiberglass with lite ply innards..

It's real nice..I just had issues with the charger i purchased and got a bad taste in my mouth ... I have 3 1800 mah nimh batts for it as well... and it's been sitting for awhile.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 01, 2007, 12:05 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,533 Posts
I hear ya!

The best investment I've made in the hobby was a good charger (actually two ). I have the AccuCycle Elite, so I can charge 2 packs at the same time - NiCd (I don't use), NiMH (all receiver and transmitter packs) and LiPos (all electrics).

When I bought my first LiPos, I never looked back at NiXX for power in electrics. Once charged they are ready for flight when the opportunity strikes.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2007, 12:53 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
Buying a decent Lipo is going to end up costing as much as the .15 engine but it will certainly involve less work. The nickel packs are just too heavy and for most 400 size planes. You need at least 9.6v to get them to fly the way they're supposed to. Compare that to an 11.1v 3s Lipo pack.

Take a look at the Hobbico Quick Field Charger Mk II or the Great Planes Triton Jr. Both are excellent and inexpensive.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635