SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
United States, IA, Marion
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Discussion
Can I use these components with an Easy Star?

I've been searching all morning and I find a TON of information, but I am still a little confused.

I have an E-Sky Honey Bee CP2 with a couple of 3S 1300mah LiPo's and a Hitec Eclipse 7 TX with the Spectra module and a spare 9ch receiver.

If I got the Receiver Ready version of the Easy Star, can I use the 9ch Hitec receiver (I know that I don't need that many channels) from a weight standpoint?

I have read that a 3S LiPo on the stock motor is not a good match. I am just looking for somewhat long flights (at least longer than a 6cell non-LiPo) and don't plan on speed or aerial photography any time soon. I just want a relaxed flier that I can learn and let my kids try out too.

So should I scrap the idea of using the 3S LiPo's? I have an awesome LiPo balancing charger that I really like, so if I kept the motor/ESC stock, what LiPo would people recommend? Again, I am trying to keep costs down by not having to buy a lot of "upgrades" for now. I am sure that they will come in time.

So the recap on the questions:
1) Can I use a 9ch RX (weight wise) knowing that I will need to adjust COG?
2) Will 3S 1300mah LiPo's work with the stock motor/ESC without burning them up?
3) What other LiPo's would you recommend for with the stock motor/ESC (I've seen some references to 2S 2000mah)?

Thanks a ton. I am sure that these have been covered somewhere in the monster threads about the Easy Star, but most references about LiPo's are when people upgrade to brushless, which I am not wanting to do yet.

Thanks again!
nickbuol is offline Find More Posts by nickbuol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Yes you can use a 9ch RX. Unless its the size of a brick you'll be ok.

3s will work with the stock motor although it will limit the life span.

Don't use any lipo's with the stock ESC. Your ESC must be lipo friendly.

A 2s lipo will work on the stock motor although it'll be a little down on power only being 7.4v.

Hope its some help.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Yes, you can use your receiver.
The stock graupner speed 400 motor is made for 7 volts. 12 volts may be too much.
My advice, build the plane, install your electronics.
Balance at the CG using a wad of clay in place of the battery.
Weigh the clay. Get a 2S battery that weighs close.
I needed 104 grams to balance my ES (brushless motor).
This battery weighs 102 grams. http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3791
Here is a data sheet http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...cl-lithium.htm

Regards
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
I am now looking at this maybe being built from the kit if I would have to scrap the ESC anyway.

Here is what I was thinking now...
Multiplex Easy Star Kit 54" $57.99
Great Planes ElectriFly C-12 Micro Brushed ESC w/BEC $24.99
Hitec HS-81 Micro Servo U (QTY 2) $32.98

The above mentioned ESC works with up to 12A LiPo and is designed for a 400 sized brushed motor.

If I went that route, could I at least START with my 3S 1300mah packs from my heli?

If so, then it would run me only about $116 (plus CA, and other misc building stuff). I know that it is about $6 more than the Receiver Ready version, but I can save in the long run if I don't have to buy more batteries (for now), or NIMH charger, etc...

Granted, at some point I will need to upgrade (or replace) the motor if I use 3S LiPos.

Thoughts, ideas? Obviously I would need to work on COG as well, and I appreciate the tips above with the clay. Again, my goal is to get an Easy Star statup for as little initial cost as possible. I have the TX, Receiver, and some new 3S 1300mah LiPos with a nice charger.

What would YOU do (again with initial cost as the key factor)???
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Shopping list?

OK. Now I am looking at brushless after reading a lot more (gee, thanks guys).

If I went with the following, what would I be missing?

Easy Star Kit ($58)
Hitec HS-81 Micro Servos -QTY 2 ($33)
GH2212-06 Brushless Motor and 30Amp ESC from graysonhobby ($40)
Tower Hobbies Build-It CA+ Medium Glue 2 oz. ($6)
Tower Hobbies Build-It Activator 2 oz. w/Pump ($4)
Eclipse 7 TX ($0 - Already own)
Hitec HFD-08RD RX ($0 - Already own)
3S 1300mah Lipos - QTY 2 ($0 - Already own)
DN LiPo Balancing Charger ($0 - Already own)

Total - $141 for a brushless Easy Star

I realize that I will want to get some larger capacity LiPo's at some point, but this would give me a start.

So am I missing anything? Oh, props, what size should I go with (I would like to not have to "notch" out the fuse.)??? What else?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
deleted, should have read closer..
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:16 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
i'm using a het 4w brushless. it is 50ish dollars. and i'm using a 2s 4000 pack, 2s 3600 pack, and 2 2s 3700 packs. the motor is rated for way more power, but for me it is great. i cut down a apc 7x5 prop to 6x5. it pulls around 18 amps and i can fly for over an hour lite on the throttle, and still a good 40 minutes messing around with the throttle and sometimes i spec it out and just let her glide down. some times ( with out thermals) i can glide it around for 5-10 mins off power.

if you are interested i have a new hyperion 2s 2100 litestorm. it is the battery in a link above from another person. i wont use it. i've charged it once and discharged it on my charger.

25 bucks and i'll ship it to you.

anyway i crashed my easy star the other day. i shouldnt fly looking over my shoulder behind me. i was really stupid. but luckily the easy only brok the fuse above the wing, elevator was damaged and the prop took a small chunk out of the left wing. all is fixed.

good luck with your plane. it is very forgiving and lots of fun.
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Thanks punkrockd, but I think that at this point, I want to keep the cost down a little more, although I can only imagine what a 4x brushless with the 4000 pack can do!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
it is actually mild running 2s. i had it on a ritewing running 4s and it was a good 120-130 mph.

yet much more power then the stock motor
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
I've got 3s 1300mah LiPo's to start out with...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:31 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
yeah, i know you posted several times bout the battery
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:31 PM
RC Bum
Riverside, CA
Joined Apr 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol
OK. Now I am looking at brushless after reading a lot more (gee, thanks guys).

If I went with the following, what would I be missing?

Easy Star Kit ($58)
Hitec HS-81 Micro Servos -QTY 2 ($33)
GH2212-06 Brushless Motor and 30Amp ESC from graysonhobby ($40)
Tower Hobbies Build-It CA+ Medium Glue 2 oz. ($6)
Tower Hobbies Build-It Activator 2 oz. w/Pump ($4)
Eclipse 7 TX ($0 - Already own)
Hitec HFD-08RD RX ($0 - Already own)
3S 1300mah Lipos - QTY 2 ($0 - Already own)
DN LiPo Balancing Charger ($0 - Already own)

Total - $141 for a brushless Easy Star

I realize that I will want to get some larger capacity LiPo's at some point, but this would give me a start.

So am I missing anything? Oh, props, what size should I go with (I would like to not have to "notch" out the fuse.)??? What else?

Thanks
The list looks good to me. I don't know the motor or ESC, but the specs are right for the EasyStar. They claim it can pull a 6x4 prop with 3s. The only way to know for sure is with a wattmeter, something you will want to invest in next.

My biggest concern is the battery rating. I don't believe you have mentioned the "C rating" of these batteries. How much continuous and peak current can they provide. This motor is rated at 28A peak. Let's suppose it pulls 20 amps with the 6x4. Can your batteries provide 20 amps of current? Or potentially more?

If not, you can't throttle back to compensate. The motor draws full current even at small throttle openings. It just does it for less time. If you battery can't provide it, it is going to drag the voltage down, and you are going to ruin them in short order.

Good luck with it and enjoy the ES.

Eric
Eric_N57105 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_N57105
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Bummer... They are only 8C..... So I guess I need to factor that in... It might end up being cheaper to get NiMH batteries/charger...
Old Aug 01, 2007, 12:02 AM
Saint Clair Shores , MI
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
I fly my ES with the stock motor and 9.6v 8cell radio shack 1600mah Nimh's.
My CoG is actually right on , and it flies very well.
Granted I only get about 9 minutes of full throttle , but I can keep it up there much longer by gliding it , which is what it was designed for.
I use a Castle Creations 20a esc and a Spektrum BR-6000 reciever.
It flies so well for me that I have no intention of going brushless with it , I'll save that for my Space Scooter.

Hope the info helps , happy flying!
ta2d is offline Find More Posts by ta2d
Old Aug 01, 2007, 01:48 PM
RC Bum
Riverside, CA
Joined Apr 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol
Bummer... They are only 8C..... So I guess I need to factor that in... It might end up being cheaper to get NiMH batteries/charger...
I was afraid that would be the case. My heli batteries are only about 10C.

Ta2d is right that 8 cell (9.6v) NiMhs seem to be the best choice for the stock motor, providing decent performance and reasonable life. And the motors are CHEAP and easy to replace.

Eric
Eric_N57105 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_N57105