SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:54 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Right & Down Thrust on Pusher Wing ?

Hi Guys

Can anyoe help me out? I understand that in some models it's desirable to have right thrust and downthrust on the motor to counteract torque & stuff. That's on a conventional 'puller' prop set up.

I have just built a foam wing with a speed 300 DD pusher with a Gunther prop. It flies great, except ...

When I come out of a turn it pitches up, and I mean right up. Once I correctthe pitch up it seems to fly straight and level O.K. It looks like it's speed related somehow.

I also have full right aileron trim dialled in so I thought torque was a problem too.

On a 'pusher' set up do I still need down and right thrust on the motor? Or should I say would down and/or right thrust solve the problems I have.

Andy
Andycart is offline Find More Posts by Andycart
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2002, 02:36 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Andy,

I would think that you need "up-thrust" on your motor (shaft pointing downward). That could be the reason your plane is pitching up. Try about 5 degrees down to start.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Nov 15, 2002, 07:44 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Thanks VP

That is what I meant I thoght if the prop was pointing down that was downthrust, my mistake. What about left and right thrust to counter the prop torque?

Andy
Andycart is offline Find More Posts by Andycart
Old Nov 15, 2002, 08:44 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
I'd try manually adjusting the elevons first to see if that helps. I've never heard of using right/left thrust on a pusher, but someone else could amybe help on this.

VP
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:43 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andycart
. . . . I thought if the prop was pointing down that was downthrust, . . . .
If the prop is up front, it is.

VP
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:17 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
i fly the deltawing pusher mirage 2000 and the manual stated that i need 2mm up elevator and 2 degree of that "up thrust" on the motor. but i do not know the conventional wisdom on this matter.
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000