SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2002, 08:59 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,551 Posts
What's Going On With The Canadian Postal Service

I shipped some batteries out to a Fellow Zoner and they have been lost in the shuffle.

Last year it happened again but this time I mailed an international M.O., Via international priority mail and it never got there. (It was $225.00 for a Kontronics package deal) It's been a year and I haven't gotten a refund from the post office!!!

How can this be avoided?
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:36 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Seems mishaps like this can only be avoided by not shipping to Canada.

I've had things take 3 weeks to arrive in Canada. In the time spent waiting, the buyers were all over my case, asking where their stuff was. I mean, how should I know? And THAT'S why I quit shipping north of the border.

It's nothing against Canadiens, it's just their slow delivery service.
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:25 AM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Shipping to Canada

I don't think it's fair to put the blame solely on the Canadian postal service for slow or late delivery of packages. You need to understand the entire delivery process and who gets what and in what order before pointing fingers.

I have done a lot of business south of the border and for the most part, everything has worked out perfectly. In fact, buying from Dave Thacker at Radical RC has resulted in super fast shipping to me in Canada. I do not profess to understand all the ins and outs of mail delivery, but based on my experiences here is what I know of the process.

When an item is shipped through the post office from the US, the US Postal Services are the first to get their hands on the package. Assuming they do their job properly, it then passes to the US/Canada border where it may be delayed by Customs to asses any extra duty/taxes. Once cleared at the border, Canada Post take over delivery for regular mail and the package is delivered to the Canadian address.

For packages sent USPS Priority mail, Purolator ends up with the package and they deliver in Canada. This is a result of some postal agreement and I don't know anything about it so don't ask.

There are too many players in all of this to simply say that the Canadian mail is slow. As a Canadian that shops in the US for a good part of my hobby related items, I understand that there may be delays in delivery and I don't panic when something takes 3 weeks to arrive. That's just the reality of dealing with so many different players.

Additionally, and as a result of recent events, delays can be expected as security within both the US and Canada has increased.

Anyway, my 5 cents worth (inflation) of feedback on this topic.

Steve
SRM is online now Find More Posts by SRM
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:32 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,551 Posts
That was well worth the 5 cents (10 cents canadian).

Thanks for the enlightenment.
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:48 AM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
That exchange rate is pretty close!! Ouch...

Quote:
Originally posted by dr.E
That was well worth the 5 cents (10 cents canadian).

Thanks for the enlightenment.
SRM is online now Find More Posts by SRM
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:08 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
I think it has something to do with any government-afiliated postal service. I recently had USPS lose a shipment of 300 HE cells destined for the hobby shop I work in

Letters do seem to take longer to get TO the states that to get FROM the States (LSF forms, contest entries, MO's etc). Not sure who's fault that is...
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:30 PM
Jerzy
North Bay, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
173 Posts
Shipping

I'm little surprise to hear about these complains.
After Sept 11 mail is slower on both sides of the border.I'm doing a lot of business with USA customers, mail normally takes 5-10 working days to USA and from USA to Canada,it doesn't matter who is delivering.
We still have a border,even we have a free trade.
Maybe ,I'm one "lucky camper" . I never had any problem yet.
DR.E ,I think you had a bad luck.

This is my 5 cents

Regards
Jerzy
jerzy is offline Find More Posts by jerzy
Old Nov 14, 2002, 07:56 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
The Canada Post STINKS! I ordered some batteries for my camera from a guy on Ebay & it took 3-weeks to get to me! I was afraid that it had gotten lost but NO, it was just in the Canada Postal System.
I thought our US Postal service was bad but they look simply stellar compared to those clowns!
-Mike-

P.S. - I needed those Digital Camera batteries for my Vacation but I figured 2-weeks would be plenty. I have a new rule, I don't sell to anyone in Canada & I don't buy from anyone in Canada!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Nov 14, 2002, 09:10 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
On the other hand, the problem could be with U.S. Customs. Or Canadian customs, for that matter. Until I pack myself in a box and ship myself up to Quebec and back, I have no way of knowing the source of the delay. This may have nothing at all to do with the Canadian postal service. One thing is for certain, huge delays often exist between shipment and receipt of parcels in either direction between the U.S. and Canada. I don't know why this exists; only that it's a shame that it does, especially considering that Nippon Dave somehow works his magic to ensure that my package arrives from Japan in 3-4 days from the time I order, all for $2.50.

- chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old Nov 14, 2002, 09:44 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
While I have no real love for unionized government employees (Customs, Post Office, etc.; they are arrogant and don't care), I find that their service and delivery is usually quite efficient ...IF.... packages are labled properly, and contents are clearly labled.

I have ordered batteries, a box of depron, an F-18 model jet, an E3D and sent a motor and speed control to Astro Flight for modification and return, all within the last year, with no problems and no delivery taking more than 2 weeks.

If you don't like the Post Office, use UPS or Fed Ex.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:18 PM
Edmonton, AB Can.
Joined Feb 2002
32 Posts
Something is seriously wrong when it takes three weeks just to get the 5 dollar hobby lobby catalogue. I had a confirmation that it was shipped on the day it was ordered, but it didn't get to my door for over three weeks.

Must be a customs problem because province to province service has been good in my experience.

How hard is it to send it through customs. Not much to inspect.

The inspectors must have been interested in all of the pretty new e-planes available! LOL

Wes
liteflyer is offline Find More Posts by liteflyer