SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,681 Posts
Smaller would be great, but that looks like it is not available. One of the problems with Mini DV tapes, and DVD's is having to change them every hour. Im just not a fan of tape, as it is fragile, very succeptable to moisture or any dust, etc. and vibration. I always fly for over 2 hours when I fly FPV, so I am changing tapes 3 times a day, gets to be a pain. If nothing cheaper and smaller is available, the Sony Hard Drive Camcorders would be a great choice, they are supposed to record for many hours of video on thier internal hard drive.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Sony Hard Drive Camcorders would be a great choice, they are supposed to record for many hours of video on thier internal hard drive.
Yep, but none of them has an analog input, so that would mean using the box camship linked.
Also be sure you get a SD HDD camcorder if you do, because the AVCHD format the HD ones use is simply unusable.
There's not even a software that will play that nicely on a PC, and for editing Sony Vegas is the only program that will accept it.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Nono you were right with your first statement:
I was just looking at mine and wondering why it only had a 4 wire "DV" in and no 4 wire "DV" out.

In the manual it is somewhat confusing on that point. Wish I had a working scanner handy, or better yet a DV cam to find out for certain.

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
Israel
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
I have the Archos 604WiFi and I'm very happy with it.
Itzik Ronen is online now Find More Posts by Itzik Ronen
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship
I was just looking at mine and wondering why it only had a 4 wire "DV" in and no 4 wire "DV" out.
Well, it has a 6-wire DV plug on the other side... if the 4-pin one is input only you can use that one instead, there are 4->6 wire cables
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,681 Posts
Quote:
Yep, but none of them has an analog input, so that would mean using the box camship linked.
Also be sure you get a SD HDD camcorder if you do, because the AVCHD format the HD ones use is simply unusable.
There's not even a software that will play that nicely on a PC, and for editing Sony Vegas is the only program that will accept it.
That SUCKS !!! I just assumed the Sony Hard Drive camcorders had video in, and firewire out like thier Mini DV camcorders. Its starting to look like I will be using Mini DV tapes for the foreseeable future.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
had video in, and firewire out like thier Mini DV camcorders
That's pretty much outdated too. All their newer models since ~2005-2006 have no more analog input. In their list of "current models" the last one to have one is the DCR-HC96. This one is still pretty easy to find, but as it's the "high-end" model it's about $450 here.

Canon and from what I've heard Samsung are pretty much the only ones to still (or more like again) carry them.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
not that small (or inexpensive) but i suppose better than archos.

http://www.redcorp.com/newproducts/p...?pref=53203289

http://www.redcorp.com/newproducts/p...51&mincat=3660
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Jul 30, 2007, 01:17 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Well looks like Kilrah is right on his choice of camcorder! As for direct DVD burning, yeah the quality is just as good as Kilrah's choice of camcorder since Sergio00 has been bragging about his (SONY DVDRW) $99.00 Ebay special for a while now. I watched one of Sergio00's first vid on RC-CAM with his DVD recorder and it was crystal clear but perhaps a little bulky in general compared to the.... camcorder solution. Also I noticed Sergio00 was attached to his vehicle Good and bad on both idea, cheap and bulky VS more expensive but compact. I think I'll stick to what I have for now.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:13 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebandre
Those are what I mentioned higher. You can get an HV10 for nearly half the price, and it can film HD video too
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:04 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,822 Posts
Quote:
A friend of mine just ordered a MV960 new from a store here, I also thought it couldn't be found anymore but a few places apparently still have some stock.
Turns out that all stores who supposedly had it according to their websites don't

Quote:
In their list of "current models" the last one to have one is the DCR-HC96.
So I just looked at it closer, apparently on the HC96 the analog input is only available through the docking station, which means you have to leave this thing on

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...r-Features.htm
Last edited by Kilrah; Jul 30, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:38 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
I have looked and looked and true d-1 resolution in a mobile package is over $2000.00.

http://www.mobilevideodevices.com/products_230.html

Or just build your own. I got tired of looking and built a custom mobile system for encoding that cost about $700.00 but is WAAAY more useful, (I'm typing on it now). (It even has XM Radio!). I intend to do live netcasts with this thing.

It will fit in a much more compact enclosure than the one I am presently using. The present case also contains lots of interconnect wire and ancilliary equipment.

Good Luck

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship