HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:52 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Discussion
Digital Video Recorder - Has anyone found a really good quality recording device ???

Has anyone found a really good quality digital video recorder ??? Using a Mini DV Camcorder gives great quality, but there is the disadvantage of having to deal with and change tapes, size, and shorter battery life. Some of the solid state portable video recorders look like a good small solution, but most reports indicate that the video quality is not that great when played back on a big screen at home. Has anyone found a digital recorder with really good video quality yet ???

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
The biggest problem I had, as well as others, is that with the cheap recorders, when the video drops out even for a second, it confuses the recorder enough to either lock up or corrupt files. I gave up on that and have been using a good old 8MM analog video camera to record, which has an LCD. Then I capture from it with a DVD Xpress from ADS Tech.

I too would like to know what digital recorders work and don't work. As far as I know the Aiptek MPVR is supposed to do well as a camera, and as a recorder, for about $100.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,256 Posts
JettPilot..Ck. out Canons TX-1 , Hi-Def. 8oz. under500.00 ............ps love your videos.R.T.R.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:18 AM
Joined Dec 2006
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
JettPilot..Ck. out Canons TX-1 , Hi-Def. 8oz. under500.00 ............ps love your videos.R.T.R.
Don't see a Video in on this unit?
Wmacky is offline Find More Posts by Wmacky
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:57 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Although they no longer make it there are a few Sony VRD-MC1 DVD recorders left in the stores. They are going up, up, up in price. I bought mine for $150 in Feb. They are up to $470 on amazon. They are also 12VDC.

The new Sony VRD-MC1 DVDirect allows both video and digital photos to be recorded to DVD without requiring a PC. DVDirect has video inputs on one side for direct connection of a camcorder/VCR/PVR for easy direct recording of video to DVD+R/+RW discs. DVDirect also has memory card slots for the 5 popular camera memory cards and will directly record images from the memory card to DVD-R/-RW as a DVD slideshow. It's even possible to connect a compatible PictBridge printer to DVDirect and directly print photos from camera memory cards or photo DVDs created with DVDirect. DVDirect can also be connected to a PC via USB 2.0 and make copies of Video/photo DVDs, advanced DVD projects, and much more.

Record Directly from Analog/Digital Camcorders, VCR, PVR, Etc.

Record From Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, SD, xD, and Compact Flash Memory Cards

2" Color LCD Screen

Record Directly To DVD - No PC Required

Zip Zoom Fly has them for $229 EDIT: WARNING, the Zip Zoom Fly units are "OPEN BOX", i.e., returns.

And just with the flip of a switch it does double duty as a cd/dvd player/memory reader for my PC based ground station.

Good luck

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Jul 29, 2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:20 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
712 Posts
Or 110,99$ here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-VRD-MC1-DVD...QQcmdZViewItem

//Matte
Impulze is offline Find More Posts by Impulze
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:36 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky
Don't see a Video in on this unit?
I know it's another added expense but does that Canon TX-1 have a "DV" or firewire input port for PC editing?

If so I snagged an ADS Pyro AV unit that works with or without a PC that allows a mix of almost any media type for recording or playback.

You can plug the composite output of your video receiver into the video in and a firewire to the "output" side and plug it into the "DV" in on any DV camcorder that has record functions! Presto! Instant DV quality recordings from your AV receiver to your DV camcorder. AND NO PC NEEDED!

Camship
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,289 Posts
The DVD recorder is even bigger than a camcorder, and he already thought that was too "bulky"... so I don't think he'll be happy to carry 2 devices with him either.

In short, no. Get yourself a Canon MV960, or a HV10.

I'm actually about to order a HV10, it's REAL tiny.
Quote:
The HV10 measures 56mm x 104mm x 106mm and weighs in at 440g (15.5 oz.)
You can even directly plug a 2s lipo in the DC jack if battery life is a problem
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Jul 29, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
The DVD recorder is even bigger than a camcorder, and he already thought that was too "bulky"... so I don't think he'll be happy to carry 2 devices with him either.

In short, no. Get yourself a Canon MV960, or a HV10.

I'm actually about to order a HV10, it's REAL tiny.

You can even directly plug a 2s lipo in the DC jack if battery life is a problem
Kilrah,

Actually it was an either or situation. I should have been clearer. The Pyro link was in response to the digital camcorder dilemma. Most do not have a composite "video input". I have seen some digital video cameras that will record from the DV connection and that is where the Pyro AV might come in handy if you already have an expensive digital camcorder with DV in capability. And most don't realize it is a stand-alone device as well as a PC device just like the Sony DVD MC1.

I use it for it's PC applications. It is the Video input/output break-out for the Ground station. I can record to or from a wide variety of common digital and analog media/format with this set-up. With the DVD recorder it also has media card readers built in so I don't need a seperate one of those either.

Camship
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
The Sony Direct DVD recorder sounds great. I end up making DVD's out of all my videos anyways, so that would be perfect and save me an extra step. Is the quality true DVD when you replay it, have you ever looked at somethig recorded on the VRD-MC1 DVD played back on a big screen ? How long does the battery last camship ? Does it have an external power input ?

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship
Kilrah,

Actually it was an either or situation. I should have been clearer. The Pyro link was in response to the digital camcorder dilemma. Most do not have a composite "video input". I have seen some digital video cameras that will record from the DV connection and that is where the Pyro AV might come in handy if you already have an expensive digital camcorder with DV in capability.
No need to be clearer, I had understood the thing and had also talked about it a couple of times - but I was referring to Jett saying one of miniDV recorders' downside was size. If he already considers today's small devices to be too big, I don't imagine him carrying one PLUS the Pyro box.

But the HV10 is actually nearly smaller than some Archos recorders, while it can actually also film good HD video as a "bonus"

Sony just released a portable HDV recorder (like they had for DV): http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...eck--33020.htm

OK this can be nice for professionals as there's a load of interfaces etc, but personally I wouldn't get one when you can actually get a full camcorder which will let you do most of what you would with one for half the price...

I intend to use the HV10 as a secondary cam next to my FX7 for a couple of productions, one of them being a big full-scale airshow in 1 month. Having the smallest HD cam you can find will be a blast to use in some places like inside aircraft. From the reviews it's the perfect complement to the good, big and handy FX7, as it's really really small but still has a good image, and a lot of manual controls.
The described downsides are handling (small dials etc, not easy to adjust while shooting,...), lack of audio features, no HDMI out... but intending to take the cam, adjust it, strap it in place, hit record and stop when the plane comes back, or just use it for some additional shots none of those actually apply to me, the main job still being done by the FX7.
Of course, it will serve as a recorder at some point too
I can't wait to receive it.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2006
382 Posts
There is just no longer any good "new" choices for FPV at a reasonable price. I went throught this earlier. With the lack of composite in on the new units the sitiuation will only get worse. The MV960's appear to not be availible in the US, and the HV10 is extrememly expensive for a dead format. I ended up with a aiptek SD recorder for general use, and will use a laptop for when I need better. It's just a bad situiation all around. it seems composite users have been orphaned.
Wmacky is offline Find More Posts by Wmacky
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky
and the HV10 is extrememly expensive for a dead format.
What the
Dead format? I think you need to revise your copy, even brand new professional gear uses HDV. Consumer camcorders that have DVD/HD drives also always come in a tape version as well. Sony just released a portable HDV studio recorder too.
There's no other non-broadcast format that offers the same quality as HDV to date. HDV is still top-of-line for anything under $10k and will remain so for at least a couple of years. Even if a new format was introduced today, it would be about 2 years until it would be fully supported.

Just ordered my HV10 for about $750. Was about to get it from a store for ~900 when I did a quick check on my favorite auction site... that paid off and will compensate for the wide angle lens/batteries/filters

A friend of mine just ordered a MV960 new from a store here, I also thought it couldn't be found anymore but a few places apparently still have some stock. About $420.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:01 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Warning! Danger Will Robinson!

ARGH! Have I been stupid. I don't have a DV camcorder so I have never looked at that section of the manual for the PYRO AV in detail but enought to notice the blurb about output to a DV camera.

Well, It does, but ONLY previously digitized, (i.e., presumably your PC) media to copy.

So I was dead wrong about it's capabilities! Hope no-one was too hasy with the BUY button! Sorry!

Camship
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,289 Posts
Nono you were right with your first statement:
Quote:
Convert between devices (from DV to Analog or Analog to DV) without using a computer