HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:39 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
ducting 3

Well, as I said, 1/2 paper and 1/2 of 1/2 transparnecy film.

Granted, I had the practice with the right side first, but, the left side took me 1/6 the time to set up because the film is just easier to work with for this application.

The one question I have is - how tight to the fan housing does the paper have to be. It does not go over the fan with the sizing given, it goes snugly inside the front of the fan unit and the read does the same - not around but inside. the paper does have some give though when the duct is at high speed, I noticed a slight buckling of the paper when the motor does up to max quickly. Does it have any "room" for side draw or should the paper on the front main tude be glued into place to prevent any type of draw from anywhere other than the duct.....

I used CA around all the formers to lock the ducting in place. It adds a great deal of rigidity to the fuselage, much more than I anticipated.
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:45 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
two last ducting suggestions

When you begin the process of working on the foreward most duct, I sugest a drop of thin CA along the outsides of former F2. This former is thin and I am clumsy, for those of us not nimble and adroit, use a little stiffening to make it easier on you in the long run.

When you install the ducting, remember the air has to flow in smoothly. Make sure you go from the rear to the front that way the ducting seams go with the flow not against.

Ducting Done!
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:47 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
ducting glue

I used glue stick to adhere the paper for the ducting together. I find this to be an acceptable bonding material in that it sticks liek contact cement, gives you some working time and dries solid like white glue but with much less weight.

I liked the working time . . you have at least 10 minutes to work something before the glue really sets in. I also used this on the transparency material and it worked fine.

FYI
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:51 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
Wings

OK, I skipped a step while the glue on the ducts was drying....

Wings are about as simple as you can get, simple white foam cores glued to an 8 MM spar on former F4 and a stub on former F3 to guide and hold the wing and the leading edge.

The wings have a main and a tip. There is a 1" rise in the tip.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:53 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
wings

once the tip is sanded to allow for the raise, it can be glued onto the main core of the wing.

Since this plane is so light, it does not need to be complex.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:55 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
wing detail

The wing has to be routed to accommodate the spar coming from former F4, as well as F3.

Check the plan for location and mark
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:55 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
pval3, great job, building and posting! Did you get a chance to compare weights for the transparent vs paper ducting?
You got me scared though, I have built 3 planes out of balsa kits so far, and with all 3 I have broke formers, stringers, ribs, etc just getting my fingers into those "OB-GYN" (stealing your terms! ) spots.

Please keep up the posting durning your building!

Jerry
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:58 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
wing detail 2

Mark the location and use a router bit on a dremel tool and sink a trnech 1 CM deepand 1/2 CM wide the length of the spar in both halves of the wing
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:58 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
wing detail 3

Sink a trench in the wing with the router bit 2MM wide to accommodate the F3 sub spar in the front of the wing
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:07 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
wing final

OK, now that everything is routed out . . here is the fit - - niiiiiice!

Works on both sides, depth is perfect and the wing sits tight against the fuselage...nice design . . no need to bog it down with extended spars, the thing is going to be so light it will be perfect the way it is, no need to sheet.

I will probably add a little thinned white glue to the tips and trailing edge just to help keep it nice and sharp, I tend to get bad TE hanger rash in my "hanger".....

hint . . . . . . . . . . Need bigger hobby room!!!!!!!

Phil
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:25 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
OB-GYN

Jah,

I do not have the most nimble of fingers for the routing of the ducting through the formers. nor much patience when I thin about it. . dont laugh CUE!

The formers are not bad at all if you go in forewarned. A simple drop of CA goes a long way to making your life simple and keeping them in one piece.

The trick is to roll the material between your fingers with the "wet" stick glue loose so you can make fine adjustments to the ducting making it fill the formers alowing a smooth air flow. There is nothing difficult about it - just patience.

This is the first "stick" type plane I have built in a long while and it is the easiest I have built as far as I can remember.

There are just a few little areas that forums like this help call your attention to ......methods for making life easier or learning from someone elses' mistakes!

The airflow out of the back of this thing is wild once you get the ducting fininshed- - I cant believe there is as much air blowing as there is!

This calls for a Tim the Tool Man Taylor aggrrrrrrrr!!! aggrrrrrrrr!!! aggrrrrrrrr!! aggrrrrrrrr !!!aggrrrrrrrr !!
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:29 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Way cool Pval3

Excellent thread, I am doing the EF2000 thing right along side of you, maybe were both on the Hot Topics right now???
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:12 PM
Syracuse, NY
Joined Nov 2002
46 Posts
Excellent! Keep up the good work! Fanman, I understand you designed this plane? What does it fly like? Speed, aerobatics, etc. Thanks.
Bembo9 is offline Find More Posts by Bembo9
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:45 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
stringer assy

Well, the last part of the fuselage assy is the stringer instal. Make sure you have your ducting in order before you start because it will be a bear to reach after you install all of these sticks!

Bottom is clear - that is where the battery hatch is going to go as well as the receiver and speed controller.

The nose section gets real rigid once you get these in too.

Phil
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:54 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
tail assy

Here is a pic of the tail assy for mounting the servos.

The mount is suprosingly strong. I though I was going to have to "do something" but it is just fine. A very sound mout.

I amazes me how much engineering went into this deisgn. All the areas I though would be weak points seem to be fine without any improvment..

Excellent job fanman on the thought that went into the design. This is a quality design and kit!

Phil