Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:57 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally posted by drbird
The next kit to be released will most likely be the EuroFighter 2000 that most of you have seen FANMAN (aka. Glenn DelConte) Designing) - Glenn is also the designer of the F-4! If you haven't checked out his site then I reccomend stopping by:
http://www.aircadkits.com

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
YEAH.........F-14 (and F-15) for EDF-50????
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:21 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Great thread, this kit will be on the building board next (as soon as I clean up the mess made foamie bashing the C141B-K)! Might start this weekend!!!

Fanman, my post regarding the photo paper was a question, had not thought about weight of paper as an issue. Look forward to the F15!!!!

How 'bout an advesary for the F4, you think a Mig21 or 23 has enough wing area? Better yet a Mig25, that way when I burn up the little GWS EDF50 up because I used too many cells, the smoke coming out would look "scale"!
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:30 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Anythings possible

Quote:
Originally posted by jah
Great thread, this kit will be on the building board next (as soon as I clean up the mess made foamie bashing the C141B-K)! Might start this weekend!!!

Fanman, my post regarding the photo paper was a question, had not thought about weight of paper as an issue. Look forward to the F15!!!!

How 'bout an advesary for the F4, you think a Mig21 or 23 has enough wing area? Better yet a Mig25, that way when I burn up the little GWS EDF50 up because I used too many cells, the smoke coming out would look "scale"!
CALL me crazy, but what I want to do (But I cant find them) is to have one of those little toy whistles, we had them as kids, and as you blow thru the tube, a tiny spinning whistler would turn and whistle like mad, well If anyone knows where to find them, let me know, I want to servo activate opening the front of this `whistle' attached to maybe the underside, and during a dive, pop open the front of it for what I think would be a cool as heck fly by
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:55 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
F4

Hey guys,

How about the Mig 15 that some of the folks are working on . . .. I havent seen one fly but Ill bet that would make a great on field warbird fight!

I dont know if you would be able to hear the whistle over these little fans screaming away.

My neighbors had a fit when I went out in my front yard and "lit it up" after dinner" (got home at 11PM from a trip, jad dinner and went flying) . . . how about that - noise complaints from an electric!!

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:56 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
I have seen in the foamie forum guys taking the whistle out of nerf footballs (specfically "vortex nerf footbal"), and putting them on Zagi's. Here is a post showing pics:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=nerf+football
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:57 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Control options

Glenn,

Someone was asking earlier what other control options you tried out on the F-4 ??

How do you find the durability of the tailerons and the mounts shown on the plans??
Old Nov 21, 2002, 05:37 PM
Hoosier Hobby Hangar
Cicero, Indiana
Joined Oct 2002
266 Posts
FANMAN: I have a novelty catalogue around here somewhere that I will find that sells "Whizzers" Little plastic whistle like the ones you are talking about.

Kevin

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Kevin P is offline Find More Posts by Kevin P
Old Nov 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Yes please!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin P
FANMAN: I have a novelty catalogue around here somewhere that I will find that sells "Whizzers" Little plastic whistle like the ones you are talking about.

Kevin

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Let me know what you find........
Old Nov 21, 2002, 05:54 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Re: Control options

Quote:
Originally posted by pval3
Glenn,

Someone was asking earlier what other control options you tried out on the F-4 ??

How do you find the durability of the tailerons and the mounts shown on the plans??
The controls should be set to Dual Rate, with mixing, and you shouldnt have any problems, the original F-4 style wing would force somewhat small ailerons, though options are always possible. The amount of force on the tail surfaces can only be dictated by the amount of throw you place upon them, hope the opinions help? The servo arm to the elevator should be epoxied, with small screws inserted as well.

Its not easy cramming a servo in between 2 fans
Old Nov 22, 2002, 01:39 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Changing the engines

Are the GWS fan engines accessible when they burn up and need to be replaced?
Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Old Nov 22, 2002, 02:52 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
It depends on where you place the hatch - the hatch for the prototype is on the bottom of the aircraft which gives you accesibility to the fan units.

John
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:36 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
replacement motors

Hey there,

from my perspective - they are - -with a little work

The fan ducting is paper that is glued using CA to the fan, there are several pieces of ducting that can be removed and reinstalled without much of a headache.

Several of the folks on the forum have talked about sheeting the bottom of the fuselage as the battery area.. this can be set to allow access as needed to the fan unit.

I have been using a GWS fan in a Bonez for a while and have not burned a mtor yet. I have been running it on 8 cells - no problem so far like the DX drive motors have proven to be on 8 cells . . maybe ive been lucky but . . . .

FWIW
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:38 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Yeah I have several EDF-50's I have had for quite some time with no damage - in fact the only ones I have burned up are from doing explicitly what they tell you not to do!

John
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:21 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Next step - ducting

Backto the grind stone, got a few hrs of building time before the festivities this evening!

I started on the duct work. This is a tedious job in that the former walls are very thin and very delicate before you install all of the stringers. The ducting is a tight fit and front ducts are not just tubes - they conform to the front of the inlets to make it look better and allow clearance for the fuselage. Sounds simple until you try to work your way around the formers and adjust the ducting to fit tight.

Earlier in the thread the material for the duct was discussed. As I went into my favorite office supply store to get copies of the duct paper on 24# stock, I was met by the sales guy who I talked to last week trying to figure out what other options were out there. I expressed that the transparency would not work because of the heat and he explained that the laser copy transparency film is designed to take heat (from the projectors). I decided to try it and believe it or not, it took a direct hit from the heat gun for more than 5 seconds at 2" before it started to even slightly become effected. After the frustration of trying to get the paper to fit, I canged my mind and decided to try 1/2 ofthe duct material with the transparency material...more to come on that.....

It is a ton easier to use than the paper, stays where you put it and does not move once you get it in place because it is more rigid than the paper yet flexible to conform to the inlet.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:32 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Ducting

So, the first 1/2 of the ducting wa a learning experience, the second side went smoothly with the addition of the laser copy transparency maerial for the duct in the front end of the aircraft.. This went 90% better as it is just rigir enough to make life easier in setting up the forms.

I recommend leaving a little material on the front side of the foreward most duct to allow "working room" while you are maneuvering it in plane. The right side I cut it right on the line and I needed to be an OB-GYN to make it work right . . . .If I had little petite fingers Id be fine -- but I don's. Leave yourself some material to play the fit right. You can trim it away once you get it glued in the former.