HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:06 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
initial fuselage detail

The initial fuselage assy goes just as they say in the manual. the parts fall in plance and the cuts are square providing a perfect gluing surface on the stringers.
pval3 is online now Find More Posts by pval3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:47 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
more update pics

here is a second pic of the fuselage framed up most of the way. We are abot ready here for the rear fuselage assy
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:55 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
tail assy - tricky

OK, so far, the kit goes together so easily that it lulls you into a flase sence of security . . .building at 11PM doesnt help matters either . .

When you look at the assy, you must consider that the bottom stick will pull the top down as you are gluing over the board. When I put this together it looked perfect - then I went to put the rudder on and realized the top "spine" was under tension and was warping downward.

When you put this together, use the rudder as the guide for the line on the top of the fuselage and spray the bottom stick with ammonia to allow it to warp into shape BEFORE you gue the whole thing together. Allowing this bottom stick to take the load is the way to go. You will see in this pic how it warped down before I fixed it....next pic shows it done right.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:00 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Re: AERC F-4 progress report more pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by pilatus turbo
This picture shows the way I am mounting the alevons to the servo.
I thought about using elevons on my F-4, but because of the possible adverse yaw associated with the extreme anahedral, decided to use separate elevators and ailerons. This worked very well for me. I'd be interested to see how the elevons work on yours.

Is this what the plans call out for? How did it work on the prototype?

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:02 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
tail assy 2

OK, as I said above - as did pilatus turbo, be vigilant on this portion. It goes fast and it can mean minutes to do it right or an hour to fix it.....trust me on this one!

Here is the disassy tail assy correctingd for the warp. Bottom stick has been soaked in ammonia and is drying without the clamps on it so you can see what I am talking about.

The grain of the rear rudder is such that it needs a little reinforcement to prevent it from breaking. I have added a piece of 1/32 balsa strip on the trailing edge just to provide a little cross grain support from "hanger rash"...

To this point, we are looking at 2 hrs of building time.
Last edited by pval3; Nov 20, 2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:02 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drbird
Those that aren't can be found at http://www.rc-plans.com or http://www.aerc.biz/rcplans/
You might need to check your code.

Once on your site and when trying to view the decals or click on any of the links, this page comes up:

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
The request line contained invalid characters following the protocol string.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:25 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
first night's building - and photography comes to a close

So here we are, the end of the fist building stint, 2 hrs and 20 minutes into the process, this is where we stop.

All up weight of the structure to this point including the fans, vac form parts and the horizontal stabs is 3.8 ounces - Wow, that is light!

Overall, this kit has been a joy to assy. The quality of the wood, laser cutting, fit and directions have been great. My only complaint comes from my own complacency in not paying closer attention to the tail assy, in particular, the bottom stick. Itshould be installed to provide pressure aaft toward the tailcone, not pulling down on the overall assy. Use the rubber as the guide, not the eye!Next comes the duct work,rest of the strings, installation of the servos on the horizontal stabilizers and the wings...

phil
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:37 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
tailplane

Hey Daren,

The two servos in the tail are remeniscent of the Kyosho F16. I have never had luck with this type of set up in larger airplanes because of the loads imposed on tailplanes at high speed. Since this is a park type plane, I can not imagine those type of loads being imposed so it should not be a problem.

I have no idea why AERC used this particular config of control. I would be interested to hear the wherefores and whyfores of their decision to go in this direction as well as any effects - if any -caused by the anhedral.

Phil
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:03 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
The tailerons worked well for the prototype. You have to remember though to set the throws a little lower than normal with tailerons. Turns and spins are very easy to "over-do" if set to high. Remember also that with EDF's all the power is being forced from the back so if you try to climb to quickly and your CG is not correct you will stall every time. The plane is so light in the end that tailerons are all you need.

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:16 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
speeds

John,

What kind of weight have you found to be "standard" so far for the completed F-4's or what did your betas come out to?

What kind of speed have you seen from the model? How are the slow flight/ glide characteristics?

Any particular flight characteristics to be aware of?

What manner have you found to be best to wire the motors . . Y harness in parallel or just soldering them together behind the "firewall" with one end to the speed controller?

The plan does not specify a mounting patform for the flight battery. What did you use for secure it for flight? was it a permanent install or a removable option (based on location and access from plans)

The model seems wide, where is the best "grip point" for launch and is there enough meat there to support the launch?

Thanks for the input

Phil
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Well I hate to place a number on the weight and speed because they vary so much with equipment used. The AERC prototype came out to a little over 14 oz. and we tried to add some weight just to make sure flying capabilities were same for heavier models. I'm a terrible judge of speed but I thought it flew very nicely! It wasn't as slow as an indoor model although you could throttle back and fly it indoors, and it certainly wasn't as fast as the average glow. That may be a little vague but again I'm terrible when it comes to predicting speed! Slow flight is like a dream! WIth the large wing span and low weight you would think this thing hovers into a landing! I made a Y-Harness for my two fans which is also on the webpage listed in the construction manual. It goes through the parts needed and the procedure. Takes about a minute and then you can use it for all of your other two fan jets! My battery was removable. What I did was not what was suggested on the plans but that is because I'm too lazy to make a seperate battery hatch! What I did is sheet the bottom of the fuesalage and then placed the battery between the ducting in relatively the same spot as shown in the plans. The ducting secured the battery and provides a sort of cusion for it if you will. I hand launch all my EDF's from the rear with one finger used to propel it from the farthest point on the fuesalge. Now I have been told this is a terrible way becuase we naturally have a tendency to point the niose at an upward angle which means your going to stall and tumble over into a crash. I have had this happen to me with another model but I think I may to far along and stuck in my ways to change at this point!

John
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:45 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,491 Posts
This sounds like a great kit. I'm going to have to get one. I'm glad we have the Ezone, otherwise I may not have noticed the little allignment issue on the tail.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2002, 03:17 PM
Syracuse, NY
Joined Nov 2002
46 Posts
Sounds like you hav ea nice kit here DrBird. What is next? I would love to see a twin GWS EDF 50 F-14 Tomcat. There are no EDF 50's of the F-14 (or am I wrong) and it is a very nice plane. It doesn't even need to have a wing swing (would be very nice). Maybe even a F-14 for the new GWS EDF 75?
Bembo9 is offline Find More Posts by Bembo9
Old Nov 20, 2002, 03:36 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Very nice following construction you guys.

This one is definitely moving up on the "must have" list.

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bembo9
Sounds like you hav ea nice kit here DrBird. What is next? I would love to see a twin GWS EDF 50 F-14 Tomcat. There are no EDF 50's of the F-14 (or am I wrong) and it is a very nice plane. It doesn't even need to have a wing swing (would be very nice). Maybe even a F-14 for the new GWS EDF 75?

The next kit to be released will most likely be the EuroFighter 2000 that most of you have seen FANMAN (aka. Glenn DelConte) Designing) - Glenn is also the designer of the F-4! If you haven't checked out his site then I reccomend stopping by:
http://www.aircadkits.com

John
http://www.rc-plans.com