HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:52 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Wow!!! What an impressive video! I just wouldn't fly around full scales like that though....isn't it against AMA rules???
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:02 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
waiver!

Hey Don, no, I would think they would have had to precleared with a waiver from the FAA to fly low level at the airshow in the first place

We all know how diligent and thoughtfull the FAA is in ensuring that the highest levels of safety and security are maintained at these events.

I am also sure they received proper clearance from the appropriate ATC facility in charge of the event. Without prior clearance from the AMA for the sanctioning of the event, the ATC fatility would never have cleaer them to do the fly by.

Since all sanctioned events carry site liability - all was - O K !

Speaking of ATC and FAA, all of you in the north east duck - - Im going to be flying over your heads going into PHL tonight!!!

Finally have to work!

dont laugh!!!!!

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 25, 2003, 06:26 PM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
OK.. I'm ready to Fly!

All ready to go... just waiting for some warmer weather now. I needed .75oz in the nose for balance. Total weight is 15.5oz. -- A little heavier than I was hoping for, but I strengthened some areas...
FlyingV is offline Find More Posts by FlyingV
Old Jan 25, 2003, 06:27 PM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Nose Shot

I've customized it a little...
Old Jan 25, 2003, 06:28 PM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Final Shot....

Bottom View
Old Jan 25, 2003, 06:31 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Beautiful!!!!
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jan 25, 2003, 08:07 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
I agree that is an awesome looking F-4!!

Ok - at least we are getting closer to the video!

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Jan 25, 2003, 09:27 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
WOW that is TOO cool! Now thats a great candidate for video!!
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:11 PM
I fly Army UAVs!
West Saint Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
563 Posts
Thats the reason I didnt deck mine out cause if I had one like that I would never fly it cause I would be too afraid I would crash it up on the first flight!!

Great looking plane!!!!!!!!!

Harry
Kwesdog is offline Find More Posts by Kwesdog
Old Jan 26, 2003, 04:33 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Thanx!

Thanx for the compliments. It's been too cold for me to fly lately, so I've spent a little more time on some of the details. I think I sometimes have more fun building than flying. I've found that once I start flying a plane, I rarely go back to "customize" or add details... Probably because I've got something else on the bench! I've really enjoyed working on this plane, mostly because of its size & wow factor. I've always wanted a ducted fan but didn't have the thousands of dollars for it or the place to fly it. Plus, I can fit this in the trunk of my car! I usually build .25 to .60 size gas planes. Last summer I got a GWS Tiger Moth and flew it around in my back yard (before they built 3 new houses back there) and now have become hooked on electric... Besides, I can fit twice as many electric planes in my workshop!
Last edited by FlyingV; Jan 26, 2003 at 04:57 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 07:20 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
CG update

All,
I have restarted building my F4 now that replacement parts have arrived (thanks again, John). I have the fuse mostly frames up and I am looking at placing equipment. This brings up our old friend, CG location. I know it has been talked about at length on this thread. I have searched through the pages and hte last mention I can find of an actual location is from Phil, to move it forward 2.75" from the location indicated on the plans. Is this still correct? Has any one done more experiments to fins tune that location?

I have a couple of choices for battery but one is significantly heavier than the other and would thus need to be placed further aft than the lighter one.

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Jan 27, 2003, 05:06 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
cg

Joe,
Im on the road but . . if I can remember correctly, the CG I found to work for me was 3.6" in front of F4, this is the cg on the original plans.

I would suggest a slightly foreward cg . no more than 3.75" for the first flight, this will stabilize the pitch a little for you.

CG is critical on this airplane.

You are far better using a heavier pack to change the cg to the appropriate point. More Mah in lue of clay or lead up front is the way to go.

Good luck

read the flying posts carefully before you fly . . for many, this is the first jet...fly it like one!

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:42 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
CG

Phil,

Thanks for the info. Kwesdog sent me a PM confirming this info as well. I just got the servos installed (not permanently) in the tail. Now, I need to attach the tailerons to the servos.

Do you (or anyone) have suggestions for screws? I would think that they need to be really small for this but I don't know where to get any that small. It also seems to me that screwing into the balsa would not be very strong. I was thinking of deepening the notch in the taileron by 1/8 inch and then building it back up with 1/8 square hardwood. This would give me something stronger to screw into.

Also, I have just ordered several of the new HECELLs to see if they will work. According to the web site I ordered them from, a 7 cell pack of these would weigh a little over 4.5 oz and give about 1000mah of capacity.

Thanks,

Joe

BTW. This will probably be my first jet to fly. But, I also just finished a Kyosho T-33 and I have two of Haldors MIG's partially built. I think I have been bitten by the EDF bug!
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:11 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
flying V, it looks like the duct intake is flat, is that right? Just wondering if it should have a rounder lip to help with airflow.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Dave -

The intake lip is flat. I guess you could sand it into a more rounded shape but the F-4 is not lacking in power by any means. The thrust you would gain by rounding the intake lip is going to be marginal so I don't think you need to but for those who want more power I say go for it! Although former F-2 is very light so be careful not to apply too much pressure.

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird