HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2002, 08:50 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I believe you can get different weights in glossy photo paper as well. I have some that varies from quite thin and light to brick heavy (by comparison) and quite thick. I'll have to weigh some at some point. I'm not sure if it will glue as nicely as bond paper though as it does have a plastic film like surface (soak in water and you can separate it).
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:35 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
AERC F-4 progress report more pictures

More Pictures. This is about 3 days work. 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day.
pilatus turbo is offline Find More Posts by pilatus turbo
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:45 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts

This picture shows the tail and servo mount. So far the most difficult part of the plane.. I got stuck in this area for a day or so. Then, I emailed John from AERC with my problem. He sent me a picture right away. AERC to my oppinion is trying very hard to make this kit successful.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:56 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
AERC F-4 progress report pictures

This picture shows the rudder. As you can see I added 2 extra pieces of 1/8 x 1/8 balsa (included in the kit). The pieces were added to the inside of the rudder (front and back). I did this because of the way the balsa grain goes. It goes horizontal.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:04 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts

This picture show how I am going to mount the elevons to the servo.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:18 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts

This picture shows the way I am mounting the alevons to the servo. Note: I added a piece of ply (small one) between the alevon balsa and the arm. Also, I used to very small screws to attached.

The servo arm is offset down so I can screw the arm to the servo easilly (this is a bit different from the plans) hope it works. Like I mentioned when I started this thread "this is my second EDF". Coming from building glow planes .40 and bigger, working this small is a challenge.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:29 PM
crazy about airliner
forest MS, USA
Joined Mar 2002
292 Posts
check your p.m

hey fanman

check your p.m !!!!!!!!!
jermaine is offline Find More Posts by jermaine
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:35 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
AERC F-4 progress report

This is another picture of the rudders. This is to show I added the 1/8 x 1/8 balsa stringer to the trailing edge to stiffen the alevons. My idea..
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:47 PM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
AERC F-4 Phantom building ideas

To anyone building this kit: be careful with former F2 is very fragile. Also, the tail section is very tricky (see my previous pictures) for refference. I will add more pictures later to show the the location of the equipment. I am waiting on the battery. I am thinking in covering the hole bottom of the plane with a balsa sheet for easy access.

Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:16 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
ducting

well, I am going to use the Litespan covering - which needs the heat gun blast so the plastic ducting is out - thanks for the heads up - never thought that far out!

I am thinking that the 24# is the name of the game.

...here are some pics from tonight's soire

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:37 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
here is what I am going for !!!

this is the version I am shooting for - - black is a bear if you are flying high and far - - since this is a park flier and is relatively large, there should be no problem with it. Decals may be a bear but - we'll figure that out eventually!
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:43 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Phil there is a decal set we are putting up on the webpage listed in the Construction Manual that will be available for you to print out! I think some of those decals from the picture are on there. Those that aren't can be found at http://www.rc-plans.com or http://www.aerc.biz/rcplans/

John
http://www.aerc.biz
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:44 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
progress pics

a couple areas to be attentive on:

I have had my fans come loose many times with CA holding them on, the vibration and loads from transitions cause these things to come loose on me. I opted for the epoxy to adhere the fan to the combined F4 formers. There is no lip for the fan to align on so it is imperative, while the epoxy is curing, to keep checking the parts to make sure they have not shifted.

When applying the epoxy, you only need a thin film around the lip to make it stick - we are dealing with an EDF50, not a roaring .40!

Remember that smooth airflow is paramount so make sure there are no spare epoxy drips dangling into the flow.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:46 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
parts detail

the laser cut parts fell out of the sheet with ease. Be careful with F6 former as it is very delicate.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:58 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
Former 4 detail

The fit on this kit is awesome! The formers - of different material (ply and balsa) fit perfectly in every way.

Quality of the parts is a joy to work with, the kit literally lines itself up on the board!