HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2002, 01:25 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
batteries

Thanks Glenn! I have some more of those batteries like I gave you. I am going to solder a pack together that will give me 7.2 AAA 1440Mah NIMH. That should warrant a few passes. I also have a 2/3AA 7.2 600 mah pack that I need to put together. I will use this as a back up to my Moth. Cheers and Happy New Years.

Mike
FF
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2002, 03:56 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,935 Posts
bateries

Hey mike,

I flew mine using the maxcell AAA 720 Mah NMHI cells I picked up here on Ezone for .75/ each . . I love them for the park fliers . . this plane was no difference.

Fanman is right, anything above 7.2 V and you are pushing the little buggers. I like the 7 cells packs (8.4V) but realize there is going to be a price long term. . . . Im not real worried about it, that is the "price of performance".

On the 8.4 V pack, the plane leaps out of your hands and flies a a very respectable clip . . much faster than any traditional park flier. It is not so fast that it is hard to fly, just fast enought ot keep you busy and gives a great scale speed....I had been flying my wedgie at the field before I flew mine to get the thumbs warmed up . . it never raised and eyebrow, the F4 did though . . .real nice on the eye and kind on your stomach . . no butterflies like others I have flown.

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:08 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Bending Balsa

Hey Guys! Thanx for all of your help! This forum has been a great influence and resource for me on building this kit.

As others have stated, the packaging is great (basically overkill) and the laser cut parts are very nice. I thought it might only be fair for me to contribute some of my photos/ideas as well....

Noticing some having trouble with the compound curve on the tail section, I decided to soak the wood in alcohol and pin it to the plans. After drying, a little thin CA helped keep the form for easy assembly:
FlyingV is offline Find More Posts by FlyingV
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:16 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Tail Photos... 1 of 3

Here are some of my Tail construction pictures. I know there have been some questions as to the servo stringers... Hope these help. I extended the 1/8 x 1/8 stringer from F6 to F7 for additional covering surface:

Note: The servos are not attached yet, just a snug fit until after the covering.
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:18 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Tail Photos... 2 of 3

Another Photo:
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:29 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Tail Photos... 3 of 3

This photo shows a good view of how I've mounted the Top Servo Stringers level with the center support at F8. I first glued the stringers from F7 to F8. After the glue set, I soaked the balsa (F7 forward) with alcohol and bent it down to meet F6:

Note: The zip ties are temporary and will be removed after tying the wires in place with some light thread. If I have issues later with the servos, I will just remove the covering...

Speaking of covering, Thanx Pilatus Turbo for the color influence!
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:34 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Vertical Fin

The balsa for the fin was very light & flexible. Iíve reinforced as shown in this photoÖ this made a big difference in rigidity:
Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:48 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Intake

I decided to use the clear over-head transparency film (I knew the pack I was saving would come in handy some day!). On the intake side I found it much easier to go around the outside of the fans. No bending at full power & I think they look cool. F2 is very delicate... You may want to try and strengthen the thin outer areas prior to assembly.
Old Jan 01, 2003, 08:53 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
f-4 build

Looks good!
Old Jan 01, 2003, 09:47 AM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,354 Posts
Tailerons

Thats one awesome looking build!

I couldnt help but notice (and its not really a big dea)l, but the servos are supposed to be mounted, such that the top of the servo, is almost flush to the side of the fuselage. In fact the cases of both servos, literally touch each other.

In other words, when the taileron is attached to the servo, the gap should not be as much as seen on several of the first planes built.

The idea was that the notch in the taileron, could be made deeper (depending on servo type) and the gap would optimally be 1/8", just an FYI........
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Last edited by FANMAN; Jan 01, 2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2003, 10:29 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
Tail Servos

Yes. You are correct...The servos haven't been mounted yet and noticed earlier that the my servos are almost 1/8" taller than the ones shown on the plans. I'm still debating on finding shorter servos or cutting the center "spar" and building a profile extension to match up to the tailerons. I'll probably go with the later since I'm not too excited about buying more servos...
Old Jan 05, 2003, 03:56 AM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Great build and thanks for sharing the pics as well! We never had any problems with the ducting but if the general consensus is that the overhead transperency plastic works better then it may be beneficial to use them. They should add a little thrust although I really don't think you should ever need it for the F-4!

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Jan 05, 2003, 07:48 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
**beating a dead horse**

V*I*D*E*O?
Old Jan 05, 2003, 05:20 PM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
I'm with you Foamflyer!

Plus I want to hear what it sounds like!
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Jan 05, 2003, 07:23 PM
I fly Army UAVs!
West Saint Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
555 Posts
Foam my F4 is about done and if I stop procrastinating I will have the first flights done this weekend and would be happy to do a video of it if there isnt one posted by then.

Harry
Kwesdog is offline Find More Posts by Kwesdog