HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:44 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,178 Posts
Cool
Remote Aiptek Shutter Control - An offer to eZoners

Attention: I receive a lot PM's & emails asking if the CamMan-Aiptek kit is still available. Yes, it is. This very first post provides links to price, installation, and so on. To help me out, please obtain this basic info from the links provided below:

Edit 1: 12-01-2002
Special eZone CamMan kit offer (pricing info):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...740#post616740

Edit 2: 12-02-2002
Aiptek Mini PenCam 1.3 instructions are found here:
http://www.rc-cam.com/camman.htm

Aiptek PenCam SD 1.3M instructions are found here:
http://www.rc-cam.com/cammansd.htm

Edit 3: 12-13-2003
If you want to purchase the CamMan-Aiptek PIC kit then please PM me -- do not send an email. PayPal is used to handle the funds (I will also accept a US postal money order).

Sorry, but I do not offer ready-to-use cameras. I do not offer a camera modification (kit installation) service either.

Edit 4: 12-15-2003
I have received several PM's asking various things such as "Is the kit still available? How much does the CamMan-Aiptek kit cost? What parts are included? Is the PIC programmed?"
Answers: [1] Yes. [2] PIC12C508 U1, 4.7K R1, and .1uF C1. [3] Yes it is programmed.
The links shown in this post should answer ALL these questions. You only need to PM me to obtain my PayPal acct name or payment mailing address (please specify how you will be paying). Please use the info found here to obtain the details (honest, it is all in the above links).

Edit 5: 09-14-2004
Yes, the CamMan-Aiptek PIC kit is still available. This kit will allow you to modify the Aiptek "Mini PenCam" or "SD" camera. Pricing and installation details are found by reviewing the links seen above. I also have other CamMan PIC variants for the Mustek GSmart and Sony DSCU20/U30 cameras (different chips, so be specific when you contact me).

Edit 6: 02-01-2007
Yes, the CamMan-Aiptek PIC kit is still available.

By popular request, the PayPal only requirement is now relaxed. You can also send me a US Postal Money order. But, I prefer PayPal for its convenience.

----------- START OF ORIGINAL NOV 2002 THREAD -----------------

If you are interested in building a cheap electronic shutter controller for your Aiptek PenCam, then please read on.

There are a lot of folks that have hacked their Aiptek PenCam for R/C photography use. I see a lot of interest in the USB power modification as well as various shutter controls. Some folks are gluing servos to the camera to trip the shutter. Others are more sophisticated and do it with some electronic hacking.

But I think we can do it even better. Complexity? How about one 8-pin IC (PIC microcontroller), one cap, one resistor, and some wire?

The problem that has come up is that not too many eZoners are comfortable with buying a PIC programmer (a $25 expense). Some are unsure if they could "burn" the code into the needed PIC microcontroller even if they had such a gadget (yes you could).

Here is where the "offer" comes in. I would be willing to develop the PIC software to do the one chip magic that I have in mind. The problem is that I would need to borrow someones PenCam. I have been visiting Wally World on a regular basis with the thought of buying one, but I would rather not (I do not need another gadget to fill my closet). I would rather borrow one. BTW, it would be modified for free and returned in a prompt manner.

Lastly, I will probably {for a short time only} offer the programmed PIC chip at low cost (~$6) so that other eZoners can modify their camera. Those that know me will understand that this is something that I do not normally do (it is a hassle for me). But I'll do a few just to get things going for the early birds.

If there is any interest please chime in now. Going forward depends on the level of interest. I have some free time coming up in a couple of weeks (Thanksgiving day vacation), so the timing works for me this month. But as I said, I need to borrow an Aiptek PenCam to do my thing.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
www.rc-cam.com
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Feb 01, 2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Status Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2002, 03:08 AM
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2002
90 Posts
Very Interested

Mr. RC-Cam,

I have an Aiptek Pencam I'm willing to loan you for development purposes. This will be going on a slow stick which I haven't built let alone fly yet. You can PM the details and I'll send you the camera.

Danny
dbx824 is offline Find More Posts by dbx824
Last edited by dbx824; Nov 14, 2002 at 03:10 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:02 AM
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Dec 1996
354 Posts
I have a PIC programmer and would be willing to program some chips as well, if RC-CAM would provide the hex code.
cnims is online now Find More Posts by cnims
Old Nov 14, 2002, 06:25 PM
Nebraska
Joined Apr 2002
598 Posts
I am one of those guys Mr. RC Cam is referring to, when he says Ezoners are not comfortable buying a PIC programmer. I am trying to round up a few projects which use the programmer to justify buying one. I thrive on learning this type of stuff, ie.. NAV light system from MR RC Cam. But, just can't justify the exspense of a PIC programmer for one NAV light system. Now that there is another possible use for the PIC programmer, I am starting to have a use for one.

I have a different brand of digital camera, so mine will do you no good.
stevem1928 is offline Find More Posts by stevem1928
Old Nov 14, 2002, 07:58 PM
Woodland, CA , USA
Joined Sep 2001
288 Posts
Interested. Also willing to loan cam. Steve.
weflyon is offline Find More Posts by weflyon
Old Nov 14, 2002, 08:09 PM
Green Bay, WI
Joined Dec 2000
433 Posts
Hello
Put me down as very interested!
Thanks Ed Mc
rccrashed is offline Find More Posts by rccrashed
Old Nov 14, 2002, 09:07 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I'd be willing to buy this "One Chip Wonder" when it's done, and have no problem doing the mod myself.

Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Nov 16, 2002, 08:09 PM
Mission Viejo
Joined Nov 2002
1 Posts
Remote Aiptek Shutter Control offer

I just got one at Circuit City and would love not to have to glue a servo on. You can count me in. Just say when you want the camera.
Denair is offline Find More Posts by Denair
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:03 PM
Havin FUN
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
Interested

I'm interested along with the others. Thanks Don
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:35 PM
NON PayPal Member
Sacramento Metro, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
373 Posts
MR RC-CAM
I would like 3 of them,where do I send the money?

Bill Schimpf
wildbill95823 is offline Find More Posts by wildbill95823
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:50 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,178 Posts
Ok, the project is a "go." I am currently waiting to hear a final response from the fellow that first offered to lend a camera. If things do not work out, I will be calling on someone else.

Just to make it clear to those that are kind enough to lend me the camera, I WILL be taking it apart and poking around inside. If you want me to ship it back with the PIC fully wired, then there will be a little cable hanging out that will connect to your Rx. If you do not like the idea of me installing the circuit then I can return the camera unmodified and let you add the PIC.

But in either case, a total stranger will be dorking with your prized camera. It will be opened up and all its little guts will be exposed so that I can design the PIC for the most efficient installation. Keep that in mind if you receive a PM from me asking to borrow your little Aiptek. I do promise to be nice to it though.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Old Nov 18, 2002, 07:58 AM
Ontario,Canada
Joined Aug 2002
26 Posts
I found this website
http://www.ayucr.com/cgi-bin/timerme...ntent=articles
where the pencam is modified and used along with a timer circuit.
Also on the site is a description and photo's for modifying an Olympus Stylus for a remote shutter.
The only problem i have with the pencam is that the lens is far from the center.
Does anyone use compact 35mm point and shoots?
I may try a mod using the stylus, because of it's fast shutter speed (1/1000), position and quality of lens, and also it's price. If anyone has tried that one, or has any other suggestions or advice any input would be great.
mechpb is offline Find More Posts by mechpb
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 1996
354 Posts
RC-CAM,

How are you planning to implement this mod? Are you going to come up with a circuit that can control 2 switches (shutter and mode) using 1 R/C channel?

Just curious.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:40 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,178 Posts
Quote:
How are you planning to implement this mod?
I'm not sure what the final form will be. The Goal is one PIC IC and a cap, with the ability to snap a photo from the Tx (shared throttle or aux channel). The rest is just icing on the cake.

I will try to allow for switching between the still and movie modes, but using one channel may not be practical. This would require that the PIC manipulate the mode button. I won't know what is best until I have some hands-on experience with the camera. The final features will depend on how cooperative the camera is.

For those that can't wait, the PanCam and Nav-light PIC chips can be used for shutter control. Only four components to implement them to trigger the shutter. Projects are discussed on the web site.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
www.rc-cam.com
Old Nov 18, 2002, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 1996
354 Posts
Would it be possible to program the PIC chip so that moving the stick in one direction would activate one switch and moving it in the other direction activate the other? In order words, moving the stick to the left takes a picture and moving it to the right changes the mode?