Old Jul 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
urth bound
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
62 Posts
Discussion
Tower Pro MAG 8 ESC 20- Programming?

Hi folks,

I just picked up one of the NEWEST Mag8 20 amp ESC's from UnitedHobbies. For $9.99 I just had to try it. So far I've had no luck programming it with my TX. The beep codes are COMPLETELY different from the instructions I've seen posted around the net (so please dont re-post those instructions here as a solution)

Here is what I get when I fire up the TX at full throttle, then plug in the ESC to program:

b-be-bee, be-be-bee (musical tone)
<5 second pause>
be-be-BEE-BEE
<5 second pause>
be, be, be, be, be,
be-be, be-be, be-be, be-be, be-be,
be-be-be, be-be-be, be-be-be, be-be-be, be-be-be,
be-be-be-be, be-be-be-be, be-be-be-be, be-be-be-be, be-be-be-be
beee-beee-beee-beee-beee
beee-be, beee-be, beee-be, beee-be, beee-be,
be-be, be-be, be-be, be-be, be-be,
beee-be-beee, beee-be-beee, beee-be-beee, beee-be-beee, beee-be-beee
<2 second pause>
<repeat>

If I throttle down 50% during any of these beeps I get a 'be-bee', and then more codes to follow, but throttling back up doesn't seem to program any of them.

Anyone else have these same ESC codes?
Anyone else have any luck deciphering them?

Thanks!
Urthman is offline Find More Posts by Urthman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Well, now you know why they're so cheap

I bought a Hextronic ESC from UH and it also came with NO INSTRUCTIONS

Your beep codes appear to be similar to those in the current Towerpro ESC User Guide, but with a few more options. According to the instructions, you have to pull the throttle low for 1 second to save the settings. Have you tried doing this?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
urth bound
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
62 Posts
Yeah, ya get what ya pay for, right? Which is why I only bought one. If it ends up in the trash, it's a cheap experiment

And yes, I've tried *ALL* the instructions I could find with similar codes and none of the methods have seemed to work (full throttle, partial throttle, no throttle.. blablabla ad nauseum)

I've seen a few threads on other boards with people having the same issue as me- but haven't seen any solutions yet.
Urthman is offline Find More Posts by Urthman
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Is there a reset or return to defaults somewhere that I can try?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Aug 01, 2007, 09:27 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
I'll try and help.

I got one of these. If ya really want to get rid of it let me know.

Throttle 100 plug in esc. I'm using 1's and 2's instead of be's.
Let it do it's little song and dance.

At 1-1-1-1-1 during this sound pull to 50%. Tone will change.

You now hear 1-1-1-1-1 WAIT unless you got nimh's
2-2-2-2-2 etc..

2 is for lipo 2 cell. Push to 100% to select it.

3 is for lipo 3 cell. Push to 100% to select it.

You'l hear some tones. (It's saying OK)

Now you gotta start all over. I just unplug and re-plug to make it easy.

1-1-1-1-1 BATTS
2-2-2-2-2 BRAKE pull to 50% tone changes

1-1-1-1-1 push to 100% NO BRAKE
Little song plays. Go fly or start over.

Let me know if it helps. I could make a little video for ya if ya want.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Last edited by DRITCH; Aug 01, 2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
52 Posts
I sure would like to see the video of how to program one of these as I have several ordered.

Thanks
cwdance1 is offline Find More Posts by cwdance1
Old Aug 01, 2007, 05:21 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
odd thing about the 2 I got from UH recently...one had 2 stickers on it one small green one with QC on it, and the other was on the back and had "acro" written on it. This one nearly refuses 2 cells and when it does something isn't right in the power that it puts out. The other programs using the directions I found on here and other places just fine, the one with the odd stickers...refuses to program anything.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Old Aug 02, 2007, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Man, these Tower Pro ESC programming threads keep popping up like weeds. Please do a little searching in this forum before posting next time. Search for a master thread that starts with the word "Coution" (Caution spelled wrong) in the tittle. It has some hard work, re-edited instructions, and other info done by users that were way ahead of you. I just got a Mag8 30 amper with the green label and it programs like the last one I mentioned on there.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
Urthman, your ESC appears to be the same one that I have, since it's making the same noise. Does it have the "ACRO" sticker on it? This one: TP 20A ACRO

I asked about programming from Towerpro's support. They replied:

"Dear Sir,

Thanks for using Towerpro products.
Please check your 20A ESC first to see if there is a small sticker "ACRO" type ESC.

If you buy this kind of ESC, it needs ESC setup box to change setting. If you don't have ESC setup box, it is ok too. Just plug in connector then it works just can't change any setting of it.

We will change web site manual soon. The manual you see there it is N type 20A . It's different than 20A ESC ACRO. That's why we put in a manual for your reference.

If you still have any problem to using that, you can bring it to your local dealer for total sulation help.
Thanks and best regards,
Christine"

Now, they seem to have some instructions at Unitedhobbies pages. And the best thing, the programming box is available too. Programming box

I ordered one of those. It is on it's way from HK. I'll tell you guys how it works after trying it out.

Harri
hjv1527 is offline Find More Posts by hjv1527
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
yes my recent order of 2 of their escs with the 2410-08 and 2410-09 motors 1 one was the older model, and 1 was the newer one with the acro sticker. Being that it had a "QC" marking on it as well, I assumed it was either a faulty one or marked as being returned or something. I noticed a few days later that they had listed a new version having the "acro" sticker and that a program box was needed to change settings.

So I guess my next order will include the $6 box so I can program it. Anyone have one of these newer ones and know if it can actually be programmed for 2s lipo? The instructions say 3-4-5 cells but wondered why 2 was missing.

Todd
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
I just recieved a couple of Tower Pro Mag 8 18 amps ESCs with no instructions. My ESCs don't have the acro sticker on them. It looks like these instructions on the hextroniks website work for mine.

http://www.hextronik.com/docs/hextronikescecono.pdf

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
Bruchpilot
berlin/germany
Joined Aug 2007
57 Posts
this guys from UH seem to be very funny *lol*

"f you buy this kind of ESC, it needs ESC setup box to change setting. If you don't have ESC setup box, it is ok too. Just plug in connector then it works just can't change any setting of it."

But they shipped it with 3s lipo cutoff and my motor runs with 2s (so it does not spin up).... seems i gotta wait for the damn controller to arrive
el_bloom is offline Find More Posts by el_bloom
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
yep, same with mine...motor will spin up but waay less pull than my other esc on the same setup

Todd
Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
The box works just all right. Way easier than trying to listen to some beeps.

Only thing I would like to get is some memory. When you unplug the battery, and then plug it back again, you have to go through all the settings again.
hjv1527 is offline Find More Posts by hjv1527
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:58 PM
France neer Paris
Joined May 2007
270 Posts
Hi , I just burn my "prog acro box" because i plug it with a 2s lipo ( 8.4V ).

I 'm french and i don' t understand in this thread , if i can re-prog my "Tower Pro MAG 8 ESC 20" without the box.

I have got a hellis honney bee and i must to have the "brake off" , and a soft speed acceleration.

I' m furious because on the datasheet of the prog box , it' s not writed that a 2s lipo can do damage.

I wish you greats flying.
barney 69 is offline Find More Posts by barney 69