Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:08 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,006 Posts
Discussion
Trying to Learn About Micro/Mini Indoor Planes.

Hi All:

I am looking to get a micro or mini plane for indoor flying. I do not want to use Actuators as I want a proportional control. That limits me to Mini then I take it?

I have looked about on the forum but not seen much about servos only actuators.

I really do not want a RTF with TX and RX but would like to get all the other parts.

What Motors do we use?
what Servos?
Can I use a Spektrum AR6100 RX?

What ESC?

Thanks

SWR
ShokWaveRider is online now Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
Joined Aug 2004
38 Posts
SWR...Actuators do provide proportional control...Search the threads...
lots of info on how they work.

Motors used are brushed types - Superslicks, Didel's, other pager motor types.

Some brushless is showing up for micro but are $$.

I've gone to IR gear for micro as I like to build my own. Can be very small
and light.

I'm sure someone else will add there thoughts......Bob...
BobC is offline Find More Posts by BobC
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:28 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Actuators are fully proportional, on micro planes you can't tell the difference from servos. That is a long established fact.

Go to the top of the page and start reading through the Micro Thread Index - Best Place to Start. You will find an archive of articles covering all facets of micro flight. When you get a basic education in this, then we can answer more pointed questions. Have fun, it is a lot of reading, but a wealth of knowledge.

If you can spend $150, the new Kyosho Cessna is a great place to start, and when you wear out the plane, you can pull the gear and build your own. It uses servos.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
Crash & Burn Eh Maverick?
UK, near the middle of....
Joined Jul 2007
85 Posts
Yes,

I too would recommend the Kyosho Cessna 210 as a first model, its FAB
leccy R/C Pilot is offline Find More Posts by leccy R/C Pilot
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:12 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
For the same $150 you can get a Plantraco starter set #2 and one or two planes to go with the electronics. It's on sale right now, so you might want to hurry.

My plane is half done, so I'll know more first hand later, but it looks like decent stuff, especially for the prices. As with most things getting over the initial hump of the first big purchase is the tough part.

Also... Foam safe medium thick CA and maybe hardener is a must. I'm building my micro racer with Gorilla Glue, and while it works it is incredibly slow going. I would have flown my new system by now IF I had bought some of the correct adhesives.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot