HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:42 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I heard about this phone thing and thought it sounded a little fishy. Cellphone bats are tiny, I wondered how the heck it could have killed a guy!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,321 Posts
Accidental homicide not cell phone.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:25 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellDude
Of course we all do. I'm amazed at the number of people out there that immediately assume that a counter to their opinion is suppression of information.

Typical flow:

Person 1 states opinion w/ supporting information

Person 2 states opinion

Person 1 counters opinion of person 2

Person 2 becomes agitated and / or offended and says that Person 1 isn't allowing them to express themselves

Sad, but true.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:26 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Nice find Mark!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Thanks for the link. I suppose this puts this particular issue to rest. No pun intended, BTW.

Quote:
Co-worker confesses to killing quarry worker with drilling vehicle
ASSOCIATED PRESS

4:55 a.m. November 30, 2007

SEOUL, South Korea A death originally thought to have been caused by an exploding cell phone is now being blamed on a co-worker, who confessed to making up the story after accidentally striking the victim with a drilling vehicle, South Korean police said Friday.
The quarry worker, only identified by his family name Seo, was found dead Wednesday with a melted phone battery in his shirt pocket. Police and a local doctor who examined his body said a malfunctioning battery may have killed the man.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:58 PM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
After reading of the actual chain of events, I kinda wish it would've been a Li* accident.

Sad story... Thanks for following-up
ShellDude is offline Find More Posts by ShellDude
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:44 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
These are pictures of my Giant Stinger that was setup for Electric Flight. We had 10 LiPo cells of 7400mah range. This plane ran a 24x12 prop and sucked about 95 amps constant. We had a cell burst while in flight and the plane actually was in flames on landing. These are what is left of the plane. Mind you the charger said the cells were charged perfect after charging. We let the batteries set for a few minutes after charge and took off. 1-1/2 minutes into the flight we saw a extremely dense smoke trail , at that point we knew we were in trouble. Good news is the skydiver on the bottom did jump for his life and was fine!!
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by edge_pilot; May 01, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:27 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Wow edge pilot, wow. . .

I am glad it was safely landed and not just a flying heap of fire!
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
We did not even think of the receiver being on fire until we landed and opened the hatch up. The receiver was a melted ball of plastic and copper wire. Woke me up to the proper care of large cell LiPo packs.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,390 Posts
I witnessed a similar "in-flight" fire to that one last year at our field.

After careful dissection the fire was determined to have been started by a faulty and very expensive brand new ESC, not the battery pack. The battery pack joined in the "in-flight" conflgration making for a spectacular smokey display.

The smell was hideous, though.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
17 Posts
So I'm going to have to join the "Well, I'm dumb" club when it comes to Lipo batteries. I'm just getting into lipo's and building my own packs. So today my order of 31 cells came in and I had soldered a couple connectors onto a couple different cells to do some testing with and see how long I could make a Walmart special AirHogs Plane run with one of my new 600mAh cells when my 6 year old daughter walks in. She goes to pick up a couple of the cells to look at and I gave her a lecture on lipo safety and if they short or get punctured they could blow up and that she should never even pick them up if i'm not around. So I was putting the cells away in their containers and I noticed one of the cells move on the table. Sure enough, one of the insulators on the - side came off and it was shorting the two poles across a screw driver and beginning to heat up and balloon. Luckily for me and my house I was prepared for what could happen and grabbed the cell, ran out on the deck and threw it in a pile of snow to watch the explosion. To my surprise, it cooled down shrunk back to normal and held it's charge, I let it sit for about 30 minutes outside, checked voltage and put it on the charger. It charges fully to 4.14v just .03 short of the other cells. I won't ever use this cell in a pack, but it may be ok for testing things with and who knows, maybe one day i'll make my own lipo destruction video to post here.
chaosgk is offline Find More Posts by chaosgk
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:52 AM
Suspended Account
P.R.C.
Joined Nov 2007
23 Posts
The reasons for lipo fireing is multifarious.
The quality,the storage,the operation.....
So we should take more care of the products,and flying.
In a word,safe or not depend on ourselves.
hjh956 is offline Find More Posts by hjh956
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
11 Posts
lipos in cooler or compact fridge in garage??

I have read several posts on storing lipos, and if I go that route, would like to determine the best place for storgage.

Some store in a garage, but some say, it is too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter, and not the ideal place. Some say they don't want to store in the house due to the danger of the toxic fumes corroding the house should one set off, even if the fire is contained.

If they were kept in the garage, what about in a vented fireproof safe (sentry 1100), with the lipos in a lipo bag, and put the safe in a good ole fashion plastic food cooler lined w/ sand, or even a compact fridge from walmart for $70, since some also store them in the fridge?

I would like to store them in the garage and in Colo, the winters and summers are not too extreme, but it can get cold and hot at times. The cooler and/or compact fridge would also provide additional protection from fire? I could even run a garden hose from the cooler drain hole to the outside for additional venting to the outside?

Heck, I could store my fish bait in the compact fridge too if I didn't go the cooler route. Any thoughts? I now have to explain to the wife why I have a new additional fire extinguisher, smoke alarms, cinder blocks, firesafe and flower pots.
rckymtn1 is offline Find More Posts by rckymtn1
Last edited by rckymtn1; Jan 28, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2008, 01:23 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Actual excerpt from a label on a new Toyota forklift (6+ years ago):

DO NOT OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT IF IT'S ON FIRE

Well DUH!

Pete
Don't forget the"DANGER: AVOID DEATH" on a tractor.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/2007-1...warnings_N.htm
deathkenli is offline Find More Posts by deathkenli
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'll frame U!
Joined Aug 2006
154 Posts
hehehe, right....
If you want to play it realy safe, just put the packs in individual bags (to prevent shorts from the leads touching), and place them in a clay planter or pot, filled with dry sand. Then put a clay lid on top of that. Even if a battery burts into flame (and why the H. should it do that?), all you'll get is a smoking pot.

I have kept my lipos in my "battery fiel-box" (just a toolbox large enough to carry the charger, balacer, all the cables I need, plus the batteries) in the house, for some years now.

If you got a bad lipo that you planned to recycle anyway - go outside to a far away dirt road and try to make it burn... keep a safe distance and all that, to be sure. You will be quite disapointed, or astonished, how hard it actually is, to make them blow.

I have seen lipos that got shorted from badly done plugs. What usually happens is that the solder tabs melt through, or they just desolder.
The only 2 ways to make them actually bloat, burst and burn is to overcharge them, or drain a lot of amps (enough to make the cell in the middle get real hot, without any chance to get rid of the heat).
Bogomir67 is offline Find More Posts by Bogomir67
Last edited by Bogomir67; Feb 11, 2008 at 07:20 AM.