SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:44 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
THANKS spack
No problem!

Either way, a firesafe and a LipoSack are good things to have in the first place. That's how I charge all my batteries, every time, and I always carry mine to the field in the LipoSack (and occasionally the firesafe, too).
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
LiIon strikes again!

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...-Explosion.php

Poor guy.
ShellDude is offline Find More Posts by ShellDude
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:44 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
I wonder who makes the battery packs for LG cellular telephones?
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Nov 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,251 Posts
I dunno, but when I'm talking to you, it's usually on my LG
L8TR,
Pete

BTW, have you seen the new T-craft from Horizon????? I think I'm in love
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:23 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
I dunno, but when I'm talking to you, it's usually on my LG
L8TR,
Pete

BTW, have you seen the new T-craft from Horizon????? I think I'm in love
UGH!

Me too!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellDude
I find it impossible that a lipo can break rib bones and the spine. There must be an explanation. Besides, for a lipo to explode and break someone's spine, I find it hard to believe they can still identify the phone let alone just seeing a melted phone. I'm betting he some how broke his spine, and that action crushed the lipo causing it heat up and melt. I mean, the guy was found in a quarry, he probably fell.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:25 PM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
Not according to the doctor and I'm assuming it was an Lithium Ion pack / cell. I've seen some spectacular lithium ion explosions.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:12 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
I find it impossible that a lipo can break rib bones and the spine. There must be an explanation. Besides, for a lipo to explode and break someone's spine, I find it hard to believe they can still identify the phone let alone just seeing a melted phone. I'm betting he some how broke his spine, and that action crushed the lipo causing it heat up and melt. I mean, the guy was found in a quarry, he probably fell.
I tend to agree with you since for a pack to explode and do so much damage to the man's skeletal structure, the phone would have not melted but would have been blown to smitherens.

Perhaps this man was the victim of foul play, or of an unfortunate accident that caused his cell phone battery to ignite and melt the case. Interesting they do not mention burns to his body or clothing in the article.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
Are we reading the same article?

Quote:
"We presume that the cell phone battery exploded," the police official said on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.

Kim Hoon, a doctor who examined the body, said the death was probably caused by an explosion of the battery.

"He sustained an injury that is similar to a burn in the left chest and his ribs and spine were broken," Yonhap news agency quoted Kim as saying.
I definitely admit it's suspicious. Perhaps we'll learn more about the details before the media drops coverage all-together.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
Mythbusters anyone? Perhaps they can get one to explode with sufficient force to do some damage. Cell phone batts are sometimes in hard cases, so there could be some pressure build up, but I would be very surprized if there are not vents designed to prevent explosion. Othewise it seems most likely that the battery cooking off was enough to startle or stun the guy, and then he fell which caused the damage to the ribs and spine. If he was in his living room, then maybe not, but a quarry is not the safest place on the planet.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
I gotta wonder. My cell phone wasn't charging properly a few months ago and when I opened it up, the back of the case jumped off! Seems the battery swelled. This link has a pic of the cell battery. It didn't vent so I'm not sure what it would have done ultimately.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:07 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
During a 3D competition, a lipo ignited in the hip pocket of a competitor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490345
3 photos of the event
http://www.wrcc.cc/picpage/pyramid06.../NM1N6762.html
http://www.wrcc.cc/picpage/pyramid06.../NM1N6763.html
http://www.wrcc.cc/picpage/pyramid06.../NM1N6764.html

Only lost his pants
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Anyone w/ advice on transporting lipos ? Were moving and the plan is for then to go into tractor trailer .thanks RTR
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...36#post5024536
Post 5 is from AstroBob and how he travels with lipos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=5
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:17 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellDude
Are we reading the same article?

Quote:
"We presume that the cell phone battery exploded," the police official said on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.

Kim Hoon, a doctor who examined the body, said the death was probably caused by an explosion of the battery.

"He sustained an injury that is similar to a burn in the left chest and his ribs and spine were broken," Yonhap news agency quoted Kim as saying.

I definitely admit it's suspicious. Perhaps we'll learn more about the details before the media drops coverage all-together.
Yes, I suppose we are.

"We presume" is not a definite case closing statement, IMHO.

The force required to break the man's ribs and spine would have blown the cell phone up and would have, in all likelihood put a hole in his chest, something akin to injuries sustained by people who have had M80s explode while hodling them. Hand mangled badly if not gone altogether.

Post Mortem (if one is performed) will definitely state cause of death of this man. As I have stated before, he could have been the victim of an unfortunate accident (fall, heart attack, whatever) or foul play which may have caused him to hit something hard enough to break his bones and damage his cell phone in the process, thereby damaging it and causing its battery pack to ignite and melt its case.

Since we have no photos, all we can do is speculate. We all have a right to express our opinions, which is exactly what we are doing here.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:31 AM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
Quote:
We all have a right to express our opinions
Of course we all do. I'm amazed at the number of people out there that immediately assume that a counter to their opinion is suppression of information.

Typical flow:

Person 1 states opinion w/ supporting information

Person 2 states opinion

Person 1 counters opinion of person 2

Person 2 becomes agitated and / or offended and says that Person 1 isn't allowing them to express themselves

Last edited by ShellDude; Nov 29, 2007 at 10:35 AM.