HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Bert,

You're welcome. How did yours turn out?

Frank
Got the components for mine already, but have not assembled it yet. I will do so within the next couple of days

I have three packs that need to be discarded properly, all three are Thunder Powers mind you.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,751 Posts
All of my packs have Deans Ultra female plugs. I was lazy and simply soldered a bulb to a male Deans connector. Works fine. I do not cut, chop, pierce or otherwise multilate a discharged lipo however. Cut and tape the wires of a fully discharged pack and dispose of in the trash is what I was told.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SntaCruz83
Have there been any cases of spontaneous explosions? I just got my first two lipo's in the mail today and I haven't had a chance to get something to contain them in to store outside, so I have them in my garage sitting in a pot with a larger pot on top of it. Heck, I don't even have my charger yet. I'm too scared to have the batteries in my house and I'm trying to convince myself i'm just being paranoid.
SntaCruz83;

You're not alone my friend.. I just built my second plane - a Pico Tiger Moth and was all ready to get a lipo when I read this thread. Man, it feels like inviting Charles Manson into your basement (ok a bit .. or more than a bit of drama). It amazes me that they can even ship these things through the mail. It seems like good ol American ingenuity would have figured something out by now in regards to making them less volatile.

Anyway, now I'm second guessing the Lipo because I know I'll be crashing..

Joe
joet10012 is offline Find More Posts by joet10012
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:31 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Joe,

Don't worry, the TM will not catch your lipo on fire when you crash. It is too slow and light to really hurt the battery. That is a very popular plane, i have seen it fly many times, and also crash. Trust me, the TM will not crash so bad that your plane will be in pieces.

Just get a good lipo balancing charger, I got into lipos just a few months ago, so far no problems. Plus, I have heard of people getting 30+ min flights using lipos.
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Sep 15, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence flyin_C!

Joe
joet10012 is offline Find More Posts by joet10012
Old Sep 15, 2007, 09:21 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
My Pico T/M has well over 500 flights under its wings, and I have yet to crash it. It is on its fourth factory motor.

400 plus of those flights have been using Li-Pos, 28 plus minute flights with 640 mil two cell Li-Po packs are the norm. I have seen T/Ms snap their wings in flight after a series of wild loops. Wings get glued back together and the T/M is airborne in no time flat.

The reason for wings snapping is due to the rather powerful brushless motors some owners put up front. Them motors and the T/M wings don't get along too well under such stressful flight conditions (for the wings, that is).
Old Oct 04, 2007, 10:51 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
I don't remember where, but there is a thread here that lists the causes of various fires (if known) and the conditions of the accident(S). I asked the same question last year and got a quite a few responses; to make a long story short there were no acutal verified inicidents, BUT there were a number that were mysterious that seemed to have no other explanation...
So - when I asked the same question the answer was "it's possible."
Still makes me nervous. I use a battery bunker, watch them charge for a few minutes after starting, and am careful to make sure all wires are insulated... Still, when I have them sitting and waiting for next week's flying I worry. I usually keep them in the battery bunker between flight days. Another tip was to not store them in a fully charged state, always keep them below 70% when storing.
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SntaCruz83
Have there been any cases of spontaneous explosions? I just got my first two lipo's in the mail today and I haven't had a chance to get something to contain them in to store outside, so I have them in my garage sitting in a pot with a larger pot on top of it. Heck, I don't even have my charger yet. I'm too scared to have the batteries in my house and I'm trying to convince myself i'm just being paranoid.
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2007
124 Posts
My battery just got hot an lumpy, should I throw it away?
oscaryu1 is offline Find More Posts by oscaryu1
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaryu1
My battery just got hot an lumpy, should I throw it away?
Better be safe that sorry. How puffed up is it? I'm in the camp of "I'd rather lose $30 than my house," so I'd toss it.

If you do decide to dispose of it, make sure it's fully discharged. Or you could just take it to a RadioShack.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Last edited by Spackles94; Oct 13, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
I agree. Discharge it and toss it. Once it balloons it is a goner anyway, in your case it also got hot. Not good.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:01 PM
China
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
be careful next time.
joanna is offline Find More Posts by joanna
Old Nov 01, 2007, 09:30 AM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I've been one of the resisters of lipo although I did have a couple ofthe original etec packs. Both of them are long puffed and gone but I am now converting over to lipo. I am one of those naturally cautious people and would always prefer to manually set the charge rather than trust some device to get it right. Even with doing it myself, I still charge my lipos in a heavy ceramic crock with a lid and carry them in a sturdy metal container.

Mistakes with nimh can ruin a pack but mistakes with lipo can ruin a plane, car or house!
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
Anyone w/ advice on transporting lipos ? Were moving and the plan is for then to go into tractor trailer .thanks RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Anyone w/ advice on transporting lipos ? Were moving and the plan is for then to go into tractor trailer .thanks RTR

Here are some options.

1. Carry them with you. Better safe than sorry.

2. Put them into a firesafe. Sentry makes some, and they're for sale at Wal-Mart for about $20. That's where I store mine *and also inside of a LipoSack.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
THANKS spack
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon