HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2007, 03:15 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor
Thanks a lot .I got my self the UH lipoguard.Yeah it also seemed to me littlebit bizzare that you should use some lipoguard and on same time ventilate.Because the lipogurad blocs tha gases.
Thanx

No it doesn't. These bags are meant to contain the heat and flame but they need to vent. Pressure build up is not a good thing.
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2007, 04:16 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude
No it doesn't. These bags are meant to contain the heat and flame but they need to vent. Pressure build up is not a good thing.
The vent on our LipoSack is designed to vent smoke and gases but prevent flaming debris from being thrown about ground zero.
Is there a vent on the UH copy? I haven't seen one.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 04, 2007, 04:34 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
The vent on our LipoSack is designed to vent smoke and gases but prevent flaming debris from being thrown about ground zero.
Is there a vent on the UH copy? I haven't seen one.

mw
My comment was about lipo sacks in general and his misunderstanding of what they are supposed to accomplish. They all vent because none are gas tight.

Where is the vent designed into your sack? Somewhere other than the flap region?
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:30 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Eventually it will, though mine really settles around 1.2C. How long do you let it charge for before stopping it from the charge being too high?

What capacity was the last lipo you charged to completion on the Cellpro?

Dave

i was charging a 3s 2100 battery before at 2 amps, unplugged the charger to reset the settings, and started charging my 2s 900. It was on the charger for 4-5 min. It went from 31% to 64% in that time!!!
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Aug 05, 2007, 11:03 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Quote:
Somewhere other than the flap region?
That's where the two 2" vents are. I've seen copies without a vent. Probably pretty hard on the closure system in an ignition.

mw
Old Aug 05, 2007, 11:20 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin C
i was charging a 3s 2100 battery before at 2 amps, unplugged the charger to reset the settings, and started charging my 2s 900. It was on the charger for 4-5 min. It went from 31% to 64% in that time!!!
Ahhh! That's why! The Cellpro remembers the last pack you charged to completion and starts the next pack off at that value. Again it should only do this for the first few minutes, maybe up to 5 - I don't know for sure, before figuring out "Hey, that's too much!" and start lowering the charge current.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:28 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Mark, maybe the geniuses who copied your design figured your safety vent was a flaw that needed to be corrected.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:18 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Darned seamsters. I'm gonna have to talk to them about those missing seams.

mw
Old Aug 06, 2007, 10:13 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Ahhh! That's why! The Cellpro remembers the last pack you charged to completion and starts the next pack off at that value. Again it should only do this for the first few minutes, maybe up to 5 - I don't know for sure, before figuring out "Hey, that's too much!" and start lowering the charge current.

I charged the same battery last time and today. I put it at 1C, so it should be charging at .90amps, since its a 2s 900mah battery, but it charges at .99-1amp?? Am I going to harm my battery?

It was not a full charge, just from 83% so it only charged at that rate for a few minutes, until the low amp, ''balancing cells'' charge starts.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:48 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,806 Posts
.99-1A is fine. Only 10% over what the standard is at 1C but many charge at 2C with newer pack technology.

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:54 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
As Rick said, you're fine.
The Cellpro doesn't know what capacity battery you hooked up (it can't read the label). It can only calculate what the capacity should be based on the rate of voltage rise over time and at a given current. Mine overall at the 1.0C charge setting settles in at about 1.2C.

Don't worry about it!
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:02 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,248 Posts
As Probedude said, the Cellpro uses a "dynamic" charge rate.
The last time I checked out those stone tablets that some guy with a white beard carried down from the mountain, there was no entry that stated "Thou shalt not charge lipos at over 1C"
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:50 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
The last time I checked out those stone tablets that some guy with a white beard carried down from the mountain, there was no entry that stated "Thou shalt not charge lipos at over 1C"
Pete
It was on the 3rd tablet that he dropped one the way down from the mountain! (Moses looked suspiciously like Mel Brooks. . . .)
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Cellpro 4s....

I charged at 1c on my 2s 900mah battery, but it only charges at around .50-.60 amps?? Am I doing something wrong??
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin C
Cellpro 4s....

I charged at 1c on my 2s 900mah battery, but it only charges at around .50-.60 amps?? Am I doing something wrong??
All the way to the end of the charge it only did 0.5-0.6?
What was the state of charge of the pack when you first put it on?