HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:14 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenjaysdad
I'm just getting started in electric rc airplanes. Will need to buy an extra battery and charger for a cessna small plane. What kind of batteries are available, and same question for chargers. What is the lipo battery? What is the nicad?
Read these articles and you will know more than 99% of electric flyers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=8
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:56 AM
Barcelona
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
After watching those videos i think i was quite lucky. I didnt get the flame, only the black smoke cloud. I now am the owner of 2 ammo boxes and have split my batteries between the two boxes so that one incident doesnt take out 10 batteries!
400driver is offline Find More Posts by 400driver
Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roballoba
I recently got to see first hand what can happen if you are not careful about charging your lipos.
Robert
Sorry for Your friend BUT

Careless handling + powerful energy source (any type) = possible fire / explosion or other damage.

LiPo's for RC are less protected (lighter) than other batteries
and should be handled with extra care.
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:31 AM
AZ
Joined Oct 2004
51 Posts
Can someone post some pictures of a "poofed" cell lipo or any other signs of a damaged lipo i should look for?

I've had a little co-axial heli running off a 2 cell 1000mah lipo and it came with a very simple wall charger with just a couple of lights. I've charged it many of times and landed the heli right on the battery itself pretty hard. Now after reading all this info I'm freaking out a bit.
Grabbit is offline Find More Posts by Grabbit
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:21 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbit
Can someone post some pictures of a "poofed" cell lipo or any other signs of a damaged lipo i should look for?

I've had a little co-axial heli running off a 2 cell 1000mah lipo and it came with a very simple wall charger with just a couple of lights. I've charged it many of times and landed the heli right on the battery itself pretty hard. Now after reading all this info I'm freaking out a bit.
squeeze it between two fingers.
If it doesn't feel solid (i.e. more like an air bubble), it's puffed.
If it's puffed and not only slightly but you can feel there is pressure inside, that's particularly bad.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
AZ
Joined Oct 2004
51 Posts
Are the "Lipo Guard" sold on ebay any good? Pretty good price.
Grabbit is offline Find More Posts by Grabbit
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
My god!
southtop is offline Find More Posts by southtop
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
After reading a few of these stories I am a little concerned. I have friends who have been flying for years and never had any troubles. Are these failures from user error or are lipos as volitile as these stories make them out to be? My concern is that I store all of my equipment in the same case when I transport them. Now I am kinda paranoid about keeping my lipos in with my very spendy radio and charger.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,279 Posts
I wouldn't keep my lipos together with anything I value.

Accidents happen, that is a fact of life.

Are lipos known to catch fire without a cause?
Very, very unlikely.

Do lipos catch fire?
Yes, for a variety of reasons including overcharging, shorting, puncturing or crash damage, etc.

Will yours catch fire?
?

I've accidently shorted a lipo but caught it before it caught fire because I saw the smoke coming out of the plane. The Deans mini exposed connector got stuck in the balancing plug shorting one or more cells when I shoved it into the battery compartment and closed the hatch.

Chances of the lipos catching fire are probably pretty slim if you take good care of them but what will it cost you to put them in a separate fire safe box and eliminate the risk of damaging your radio altogether?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Problem I have is carrying so much to the field. I like one box. Just me being lazy. I think I'll head down to the local army surplus and get an ammo case and use that for my batteries. I have a lipo sac and I'll keep them in there.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:21 PM
china
Joined Mar 2009
41 Posts
for those safe problem, we can use the intelligent charges. and the LiPo safe bag is popular when charging!
GlenCheng is offline Find More Posts by GlenCheng
Last edited by GlenCheng; Mar 22, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:28 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCheng
for those safe problem, we can use the intelligent charges. and the LiPo safe bag is popular when charging!
Yes, I think a balancing charger - like the Bantam BC-6, for example, is probably the safest way to charge a LiPo.
Nothing is ever certain, but in the majority of cases and in balancer mode, this charger will simply refuse to put more than 4.2 V into any cell. That prevents most of the typical "LiPo-fire-while-charging" incidents (such as, when one cell breaks down and shorts, and the charger tries to charge the remaining (n-1) cell LiPo as n-cell.

BTW I had my ESC toasted last Friday on 12s 5000 mAh cells. Specified burst current (50 C) is 250 amps, and the ESC took "burst" verbatim... once the magic smoke went out, there wasn't much left
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:46 PM
china
Joined Mar 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
BTW I had my ESC toasted last Friday on 12s 5000 mAh cells. Specified burst current (50 C) is 250 amps, and the ESC took "burst" verbatim... once the magic smoke went out, there wasn't much left
hah! it is a pity! too big electric current is.
GlenCheng is offline Find More Posts by GlenCheng
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:41 PM
Got Another Prop?
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Aug 2006
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Read these articles and you will know more than 99% of electric flyers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=8
I can't believe people are still watching that video Sam posted years ago on Google video; "Results of Overcharging a Lipo Battery".

The fact is we did not overcharge the pack, we incorrectly charged a pack that was near death just to see what would happen. We did this outside on the safety of a large driveway that still shows evidence of our little experiment.

Needless to say we both gained serious respect towards Lipo batteries and we always charge/monitor and store our batteries in fire safe containers.
WadesRC is offline Find More Posts by WadesRC
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:21 PM
What Tree
Burnaby B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2002
366 Posts
I couldn't have said it any better. Common sense first, safe storage second.
GUYZER1111 is offline Find More Posts by GUYZER1111