HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:17 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
If you still think it can't happen to you, check out the Survivor's Gallery on our website. These are just the few that allowed us to post the circumstances and pictures. The latest was only a few days ago.
There was also recently an ignition in a well-known hobby shop that we were informed of where a LipoSack prevented damage to the shop.

www.LipoSack.com

mw
and now for a short message from our sponsors
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:48 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
The operative word is "short".

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:58 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
So Dumb !

Just a bit on my lipo fire:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=76

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=80

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Jeez. But, good that damage is somehow limited.

That brings up an interesting question: What sort of fire extinguisher should one get for the hobby room? Apparently, CO2 isn't the best choice. Water maybe ? (Here in Europe it's considered safe up to 1000 V)
Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
CO2 with the soda? may be ok, but it was the pressure that got me in trouble.
Some kind of a wide nozzle or fogging type nozzle may be what we need. Could be things would have gone better if I had not stuck the nozzle right into the crock pot. I got a very powerful blast, mostly because I wasn't thinking straight at the time. You know--You need to think about these things in advance.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,108 Posts
Sand seems to work well.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:01 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,399 Posts
You should be 6' away for most CO2 extinguishers which should have been fine in this case. Though sand is great, it requires you to get right on top of the fire, which is never a good idea. Halon extinguishers are ideal for electrical fires but most of the chemicals are out of production and not available for home use. Water has its own problems when you have a charger or 2 plugged into the wall.

At least you had a loud smoke alarm with good batteries.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Wonder how effective CO2 is on something which can produce O2 during decomposition. Dry powder might be the best bet.
BTW, you can burn magnesium in a pure CO2 atmosphere.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:15 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> Water has its own problems when you have a charger or 2 plugged into the wall.

What problems? At least here in Europe, water hand extinguishers are safe for up to 1 kV. It's written on the extinguisher itself (keep 1 m distance) and the point was addressed when we had the last training a couple of months ago.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:06 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,108 Posts
In regards to using sand. I have a 1 gal plastic bag full of sand. If the need arises I'll drop it on the pack. Hopefully it will hold the pack in place and extinguish the burning vapors...the pack will continue to self destruct releasing smoke (unburned electrolyte) rather than the electrolyte combustion products which might be more corrosive. I hope I never have to implement the plan.

Come to think of it, I'll test it the next time I have a pack that needs to be tossed.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:27 AM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,086 Posts
I don't know if anyone saw is yet. While browsing for new toys on the RR forum, I came across these pics.
The lid from the brief case shorted out the battery.

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t473552p1/
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Why is this thread still going? I personally think it should be locked, we have all seen the dangers of lipos. I think this thread gives people an opportunity to start fires with old lipos and think it's bad idea, also pollutes the environment. My 2 cents.
foamflier84 is offline Find More Posts by foamflier84
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,108 Posts
"Why is this thread still going?"

From the continuing reports of Lipo fires, reminders apparently are still needed.
In fact, some of the most recent fires occurred with balancing chargers....the kind that supposedly can't overcharge a lipo, .
(166) Pack on charger with balancer ignites - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945715
(167) Pack on balancing charger ignites - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947656

There have been several threads started on "How I abused my Lipos" and they have been sent to the scrap pile forum. If you see any posts that you feel are inappropriate, just report them. I don't think closing an informational thread is the way to handle it.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:38 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> I personally think ...
hehehe and I could tell you what _I_ think

Of course it's a free world, and anybody is free to state an opinion.

In the 30+ year history of web forums (+usenet), making seemingly innocuous statements to bait people has been developed to a form of art. Just as a reminder, silence doesn't imply agreement
Last edited by gravityKills; Nov 19, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
>> I personally think ...
hehehe and I could tell you what _I_ think

Of course it's a free world, and anybody is free to state an opinion.

In the 30+ year history of web forums (+usenet), making seemingly innocuous statements to bait people has been developed to a form of art. Just as a reminder, silence doesn't imply agreement

Yeah I agree you would think they would get the picture after the first 40pics and 20 videos huh...

You know people make the lipo vids just for this thread.
foamflier84 is offline Find More Posts by foamflier84