HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:40 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,663 Posts
I've been reading more about the 787 batts. This might have been mentioned prior but the article said these are lithium cobalt's and not the traditional LiPos. The article went on that these are more violent or unpredictable. Anyone have more?
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Quote:
I would disagree. I bought a Fun Cub last year that was plagued with the a vibration which shook the fuse apart. Many others encountered the same problem. Someone started building and selling a lite ply motor mount solution to overcome this design flaw.
Quote:
Most of those, from what I've read, came when overly large motors were installed. I love mine! A friend (I bought the cub from him) has the parkmaster. It is currently his favorite 3d plane and extremely durable.
So much for "design flaw". More like "end user error".

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
So much for "design flaw". More like "end user error".

mw
My Cub has a 480 and runs on 1300s on up. In fairness many over power theirs and get spectacular perfomance. The do have to beef up the nose as it vibrates something fierce. When I took out the Power 15 and reoves the 4 fishing weights in the nose I now have a high wing beauty that flies inverted with a little flap.

These same people have to do major LG mods to keep the prop from breaking when they land. To each his own.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,028 Posts
Almost all of our RC batteries are LiCo or lithium cobalt chemistry. This chemistry is the most "unstable" as compared to the LiMn and LiFe chemistry packs.
For instance, the Thunder Power packs.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
278 Posts
I'm new to RC and all of this talk about storage/charging/discharging/balancing lipo batteries has me wanting to ditch it all-together...

I just want to fly my RC plane without burning down my house!
Kayak83 is offline Find More Posts by Kayak83
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:03 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
I'm new to RC and all of this talk about storage/charging/discharging/balancing lipo batteries has me wanting to ditch it all-together...

Welcome to the sport. Just fly man. It will all be good. Primary rules, don't charge/store unattended and store in a fire safe or ammo can outside or in garage. The rest you will work out and learn for yourself.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Most of those, from what I've read, came when overly large motors were installed. I love mine! A friend (I bought the cub from him) has the parkmaster. It is currently his favorite 3d plane and extremely durable.

For what it's worth.
Mine occurred with the stock motor.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post

Just do a little reading on the care and feeding of lipos and be sensible. Take care when charging. Beware of any packs after a crash, store them in a safe fire resistant way and you will be fine. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:27 AM
Cealapa
Joined Nov 2010
69 Posts
Hellow,

I do not read all those page (but most off them).
What about if You can not charge them in garage or outside house ?
I can only charge the Lipos in my badroom , putted in safe bag from HK.
Anyway..i think that if they get fire, even puted on the bags, the room will not be a nice place where to stay a while.
Once at some month, i prefer to trow away the old Lipos and get new one instead.
I hope that never happend to me.

I almost forget the most important part.
I travel allot with the campervan, and in the summer..I even live on it for long time, so I keep the Lipos with me.
I can not have bags for eacch lippo, and keep more batt in one bag.
Anyone have better solution for this ?
It's not big camper, but only campervan, and the space is limited ..non mention safe space that is inexistent.
When I drive, most of the time , the lipo bags are on the bed, when i go to sleep, I put the bags on front driver seat.
In case of fire, I do not see verry well the situation. What else I can do ?
Don't tell me to leave home the lipos
Cosrxn is offline Find More Posts by Cosrxn
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Here is some more info about LiPo's, charging, using etc. that might be helpful. Also, there is a picture of a LiPo on fire from charging incorrectly.
http://www.rcsailplanekits.com/lipo-battery-charging/
RCSailplaneKits is offline Find More Posts by RCSailplaneKits
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artelian View Post
Hellow,

I do not read all those page (but most off them).
What about if You can not charge them in garage or outside house ?
I can only charge the Lipos in my badroom , putted in safe bag from HK.
Anyway..i think that if they get fire, even puted on the bags, the room will not be a nice place where to stay a while.
Once at some month, i prefer to trow away the old Lipos and get new one instead.
I hope that never happend to me.

I almost forget the most important part.
I travel allot with the campervan, and in the summer..I even live on it for long time, so I keep the Lipos with me.
I can not have bags for eacch lippo, and keep more batt in one bag.
Anyone have better solution for this ?
It's not big camper, but only campervan, and the space is limited ..non mention safe space that is inexistent.
When I drive, most of the time , the lipo bags are on the bed, when i go to sleep, I put the bags on front driver seat.
In case of fire, I do not see verry well the situation. What else I can do ?
Don't tell me to leave home the lipos
Get a vented ammo can covered to keep water out and store outside?

Have to keep them from extreme temps though.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
I just puffied two eflight 1800 lipos other day. Fairly new batts. I neglected my 1C rule and tried 5C as I thought I may have been being too conservative. Listening to others pumping mega watts into theirs I guess. O well. Expensive leason.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,348 Posts
Cheap lessons are soon forgotten.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:55 PM
Cealapa
Joined Nov 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Get a vented ammo can covered to keep water out and store outside?

Have to keep them from extreme temps though.
This will not be easy, because the van stay loot in sun, and the ammo can will be verry hot.
But anyway ..I like the idea and I will search some cheap ammo can, even if I have to keep that inside the van, it's still better then only fire bag.
What about if I have a hole in front of the of the passenger legs, under documents box , and I manage to mount some ammo can with a tube that go outside the van for ventilate the can ?
In case of fire, to direct all the smoke outside the van, so I will be more safe inside when I sleep.
I supposed that even if the can is not ventilated from default, with that tube will be the same think (or not ) ?
Can be this a solution, anyone try something similar before ?
Cosrxn is offline Find More Posts by Cosrxn
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artelian View Post
This will not be easy, because the van stay loot in sun, and the ammo can will be verry hot.
But anyway ..I like the idea and I will search some cheap ammo can, even if I have to keep that inside the van, it's still better then only fire bag.
What about if I have a hole in front of the of the passenger legs, under documents box , and I manage to mount some ammo can with a tube that go outside the van for ventilate the can ?
In case of fire, to direct all the smoke outside the van, so I will be more safe inside when I sleep.
I supposed that even if the can is not ventilated from default, with that tube will be the same think (or not ) ?
Can be this a solution, anyone try something similar before ?
This sounds plausible, but test it with a CO2 cartridge or something. (Carefully.)

A general point that people often fail to mention: Don't store fully charged if you are worried. A partially charged battery has less energy in it. Admittedly, it's a pain in the neck to have to charge shortly before flight, so YMMV.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor