SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:29 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I purposely shorted a small 3 cell lipo last night to dispose of it. It took a good 1 1/2 - 2 minutes before it started to smoke and swell. It never did flame. I have done this 3 or 4 times now and have never gotten a lipo to flame. Maybe because they were old, tired packs that were not fully charged. I did it outdoors. Had it happened in my house the smell would have been bad.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948
I think this is a good idea. Any thoughts?
OK, since you asked for my thoughts (usually I keep them to myself), sounds like a great academic idea that is going to fail spectacularly in reality.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,284 Posts
Quote:
I think that's a pretty good idea considering what you have to work with.
Most people don't even think nearly that far ahead.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
OK, since you asked for my thoughts (usually I keep them to myself), sounds like a great academic idea that is going to fail spectacularly in reality.
Okay,
I have your thoughts but I would like to know WHY you think it is going to fail "spectacularly". It would be great if you would explain. Is your thinking that I should be using a lipo sack, because to tell you the truth, I've ordered a few since I saw the video of the lipo sack containing a burning lipo....it appeared to better contain the energy than the battery bunker.

Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:01 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
I purposely shorted a small 3 cell lipo last night to dispose of it. It took a good 1 1/2 - 2 minutes before it started to smoke and swell. It never did flame. I have done this 3 or 4 times now and have never gotten a lipo to flame. Maybe because they were old, tired packs that were not fully charged. I did it outdoors. Had it happened in my house the smell would have been bad.
Here's a video of a guy poking a pack -
http://ribolabs.wordpress.com/2007/0...ry-fire-video/
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:09 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Okay,
I have your thoughts but I would like to know WHY you think it is going to fail "spectacularly". It would be great if you would explain. Is your thinking that I should be using a lipo sack, because to tell you the truth, I've ordered a few since I saw the video of the lipo sack containing a burning lipo....it appeared to better contain the energy than the battery bunker.

Mondo
because according to Murphy's law things that can go wrong will go wrong...
for example you'll be five seconds late to turn on the fan, and then the smoke is in the room. The fan would need a huge capacity - have you seen what the fire brigade uses to clear smoke out of buildings, it looks suspiciously like an ultralight plane motor...

My point is, if the smoke will cause damage, that's fine, problem recognized, charge the LiPos somewhere else. But don't create a false sense of safety unless you are sure your solution is reliable.

PS, "spectacularly" (taking Murphy's law to the edge), the fan adds fresh oxygen to the fire
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
And I think one safe bag for charging the battery is needed

Becarefull of your and your family lives
Shirley-Panpan is offline Find More Posts by Shirley-Panpan
Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:50 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,
In reading some of this post, I realized that while I have battery bunkers to charge my batteries in, I hadn't thought about the heavy smoke that could ruin my home. I live in a condo with no basement, so I've been charging my lipo batteries on a bookshelf in my family room, setting the battery bunkers on large ceramic tiles that are fireproof. After looking at a video of an exploding lipo, I realized that the smoke may be a big problem....not just the flame exiting from the battery bunker. So, here's my solution that I'd like to share.

I've placed my 12 volt power source, balancing charger and battery bunker on the toilet tank in my family room bathroom (they fit comfortably). Thus, if a battery blows up, I can turn on the ceiling exhaust fan in the bathroom and hopefully get most of the smoke out of the house quickly (the fan is vented through the roof to the outside, not into the attic).

Thanks in advance,
Mondo
Better idea!
Turn on bathroom fan.
Turn off toilet tank water supply.
Flush toilet, emptying tank.
Charge battery in tank with lid on.
Close bathroom door.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old May 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
So much for water conservation!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old May 16, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ace
Joined Jan 2007
339 Posts
could you place a battery bunker liposack whatever in a large sealed-ish plastic container wit an air filter to let expanding gases out and keep smoke in

yes.. no... i'm an idiot?
atmk is offline Find More Posts by atmk
Old May 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,284 Posts
No. There will be too much gas and smoke to contain in a simple plastic container.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 16, 2008, 01:41 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
He did say with an air filter. I just don't think a typical air filter will do anything for the smoke. You would have to have an activated carbon filter, and even then I don't know if it would have any effect or not.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old May 16, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ace
Joined Jan 2007
339 Posts
HEPA filters most defiantly catch the smoke but is it wrthe the cost
Old May 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,757 Posts
Keep in mind the escaping/burning gasses are very corrosive. I read on here one time that within a couple months everything in the house with exposed metal corroded. TV, VCR, DVD player, PC....
Do it in a shop in a metal container with an exhaust vent to the outdoors.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 17, 2008, 12:09 AM
Ace
Joined Jan 2007
339 Posts
ok... another crazy idea. what about at temperature probe that got taped onto the battery during charging and if it hit too high a temp it would stop the charge or can lipo's spontaneously combust without hitting a critical temperature