HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined May 2008
73 Posts
Ok guys.( not to sure about the ok part) I haven't been on this forum in a while and I see your still arguing about storage of lipos. Has anyone of you given any thought about how they are stored at the factory, LHS, and even shipping???? If any of your wild imaginations had any substance, we would have explosions all over the world every day. Or at least fires. People say (including me) that all you need is common sense to take care of your lipos. Obviously there is a lot of that missing on this subject.
Chocks is offline Find More Posts by Chocks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocks View Post
Ok guys.( not to sure about the ok part) I haven't been on this forum in a while and I see your still arguing about storage of lipos. Has anyone of you given any thought about how they are stored at the factory, LHS, and even shipping???? If any of your wild imaginations had any substance, we would have explosions all over the world every day. Or at least fires. People say (including me) that all you need is common sense to take care of your lipos. Obviously there is a lot of that missing on this subject.
There is difference between brand new Lipo's on the shelf, and one's that have been beat around in aircraft. Impacted batts require more attention be payed to them.

Can't figure out why you think people wanting to be 100% safe with Lipo's, are just imaginations running wild? Strange indeed?

It is a discussion, but some see it as an argument.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Jan 21, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:10 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
One thing about the flue without the exaust fan. Like a fireplace chimney, the flue needs to be primed to get the heated smoke to rise. In cold weather that smoke may resist and spill out if the seal fails.

My thought was to use a radon balanced centrifical fan at 400 CFM into a 4 inch PVC pipe. Those fans are more than enough to evacute the smoke. I just cant figure out how to tripthe fan with the smoke detector : (
I would build the box so that there is no chance of gasket failure, and seal it up 100% so the smoke/gas/fumes will be forced up the flue, without the complicated exhaust fan setup, IMHO.

It doesn't need to be "primed" if pressure is forcing the fumes out does it?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined May 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
There is difference between brand new Lipo's on the shelf, and one's that have been beat around in aircraft. Impacted batts require more attention be payed to them.

Can't figure out why you think people wanting to be 100% safe with Lipo's, are just imaginations running wild? Strange indeed?

It is a discussion, but some see it as an argument.
Because I have been doing electrics since it started in the 80's. Me nor anyone that I have been around including racing and flying with nicads and graduating to lipos when they first came out have ever had any problems with lipos in storage. Charging and misuse , yes. Plenty of times. Storage no. I'm sorry if you think I am being to negative about this. I just think if a person uses his/hers common sense they'll be fine.
Chocks is offline Find More Posts by Chocks
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocks View Post
Because I have been doing electrics since it started in the 80's. Me nor anyone that I have been around including racing and flying with nicads and graduating to lipos when they first came out have ever had any problems with lipos in storage. Charging and misuse , yes. Plenty of times. Storage no. I'm sorry if you think I am being to negative about this. I just think if a person uses his/hers common sense they'll be fine.
OK, I have no troubles with promoting common sense, that is a very good idea. But youngsters are using these batts and they are hard to teach common sense to. It is the in-experinced Lipo user that concerns me.
How do we deal with that?

There are very few posts here about Lipo storage, mostly talking about charging and misuse. So I am not real sure why you speak of plenty of issues with charging and misuse and then discount it at the same time?
Last edited by BattleDude; Jan 22, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
But youngsters are using these batts and they are hard to teach common sense to. It is the in-experinced Lipo user that concerns me.
How do we deal with that?
This is part of the natual selection process. Mother Nature will take its course with the youngsters who can't realize that these lipos are practically C4 packets
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Hi LiPo users friends.
I discovered this tread and my questions have perhaps been answered, but 114 pages are too much to read.
So, my questions :
- what kind of fire extinguisher must be used for a LiPo fire?
- can a LiPo battery burn "alone", by itself, spontaneously, not when charging? I can watch non-stop a charging battery, but after charging I must work, sleep, drive, eat, etc..
Thanks for answer or for indicating the answering posts.
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
get a fire blanket. It does the least damage to your home.

There are a few reliably documented cases, where LiPos started to burn spontaneously. So don't store them next to the nitro fuel.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
God gave you eyes so you can read 100 pages....lol Read!!! Hey its better than watching Americal Idol : )
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
Learnin mo ever day
United States, NJ, Tinton Falls
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
I would build the box so that there is no chance of gasket failure, and seal it up 100% so the smoke/gas/fumes will be forced up the flue, without the complicated exhaust fan setup, IMHO.

It doesn't need to be "primed" if pressure is forcing the fumes out does it?
Well after some additional research online and at the local Lowes I have come to the conclusion that a fan is too expensive if you want one that mounts outside the house and can exhaust hot gasses. The best solution IMHO is a sealed box with a fireproof gasket, and a pair of 2" EMT conduits vented to outside. This is sturdy and most of the pressurized gasses will quickly be forced out the conduits. As a secondary precaution I plan to add a shop exhaust fan that can be triggered by a smoke detector or manual switch. I need to vent my shop anyway. This is far far better than just charging inside the house with a lipo sack. I'll post some pictures as I build this. I have parts on order.
wjbender is offline Find More Posts by wjbender
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills View Post
get a fire blanket. It does the least damage to your home.

There are a few reliably documented cases, where LiPos started to burn spontaneously. So don't store them next to the nitro fuel.
i store mine next to tanks of liquid oxygen. so far no explosions!
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
I'd have thought it sounds dangerous. But if you say "no explosions", I guess it must be safe
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
Learnin mo ever day
United States, NJ, Tinton Falls
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
OK making progress on my charging enclosure. I got this on ebay for $60 with shipping
Cooper B-Line 24208-1 NEMA 1 Steel Hinged Enclosure Electric Box 24" x 20" x 9"

I'll change the door gasket and install a latch the pulls the door tightly closed against the seal. Pics to come
wjbender is offline Find More Posts by wjbender
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Those videos are impressive. The one major difference, after the size, is the larger pack appeared to be sealed.

Anyone here burn black gunpowder and modern smokeless powders? The black powder burns fairly quickly and the modern powder much slower. The modern powder creates a HUGE difference in pressure and velocity.

What most call an explosion is often the result of expanding gasses breaking a containment vessel. This is why cartridges in a fire rarely produce major velocity and are rarely deadly. Clearly a substance butning extremely quickly is an exceptions. but modern powders burn at a similar rate as some of these fires.

I hypothesize (avoiding the request for evidence) that the second video with no pressure relief was more dramatic. Was it more deadly? Don't know. Relief holes seem to be a good way to avoid an explosion. If the gasses can be contained without rupture then the sealed container seems less toxic. I would be concerned about being to near a rupturing ammo can. How much? A drywall layer would likely suffice. Maybe....
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, IL, Forest Park
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Charging Question

Hey guys, I am relatively new to RC (or at least lipos) and I was reading through this thread and it really made me away of the potential risks. When first starting out I only had 1s batteries and charged them with the celectra 4 port charger. Now I have some 2s and 3s batteries and am charging them with a venom pro charger. I have searched everywhere and I think I am starting to understand things but I wanted to type up a brief summary of what I know to make sure I am not doing anything horribly wrong and am gonna cause an explosion or a fire. Right now I am primarily using a foamy that uses 2s 460mah batteries with a 25-40c discharge rate. I know the 460mah is a unit of charge and I know 2s is 7.4V and I have read that the C rating is essentially the charge/1000? I have heard it is best to charge batteries at 1C which in this case would be between .4 and .5 amps. Is this correct? Or am I completely off? I don't need too technical of explanations, I just want to make sure I am practicing safe lipo charging.
Thanks everyone!
thebuckeye is offline Find More Posts by thebuckeye
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mountain Models Lucky Ace