HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:12 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Thats a 4s2500, try it with a 6s5000 and then tell me how comfortable you are standing next to it......lol

The point has been made that these lipos do not fare well in sealed containers dispite what some posters are arguing. Be smart and drill some 1/4 vent holes int he lid for God sakes.

Also, while Gravity (amazingly) is correct in that this battery was abused, there are quite a few postings of batteries igniting well after the flight has ended and were NOT abused. Lipos get banged around in this hobby unless you grease ALL of your landings. I just had a lipo shipped that had a loose connection to the internal pos. tab. Sent it back for a replacement.

Think, really THINK about where these batteries are coming from and whos doing the soldering. You really want to trust your home and potentially life to a 1.00 an hour worker?

Be safe, store safe to contain the potential fire. Risk of smoke is a problem but much harder to solve. A smoke detector hooked up to a relay that drives an exaust fan is about all that you can do.

Some store in a refrig. which is great for longevity but fire and smoke would still be an issue. Any electricians out there that can diagram a smoke detector turning an exaust fan on???
I don't think an exhaust fan is necessary if one had a sealed container vented to the outside with a sizeable flue. A fireproof box of any kind with a flue. Best idea I have heard of for the nervous Lipo user.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:12 AM
sdshobby
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
yes ,you said is ok

I bought the battery in SDSHOBBY, they have insurance,Also never Also never happened dangerous.Last week I just bought this one,
http://www.sdshobby.net/energy-lipo-...1v-p-8032.html
All the useful,How do you feel?
kitty drong is offline Find More Posts by kitty drong
Last edited by kitty drong; Jan 17, 2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: for better
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
dupe
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty drong View Post
How do you feel?
How do I feel?
I don't like "off topic" posts especially when they are an ad.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I feel the same way Hoppy. I look at the rest of the posts by Kitty. Every one is an ad.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Learnin mo ever day
United States, NJ, Tinton Falls
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I don't think an exhaust fan is necessary if one had a sealed container vented to the outside with a sizeable flue. A fireproof box of any kind with a flue. Best idea I have heard of for the nervous Lipo user.
I am thinking of using NEMA 12 enclosure and mounting it on the wall in my basement. I'll vent it to outside with 2 2" conduits that will pass throught the block wall and extend out about 12" to prevent flames from venting and vermon from entering I plan to put a wire mesh cover on the open end of the conduits outside. NEMA 12 box with gasket, welded seams, continuous hings and 1/4 turn latch. 14" X 12" X 6" cost approximately $ 88.0. EMT conduit and elbows are cheap too. All charging and discharging will be done in the box.

Anyone see any problems with this or have any suggestions for improvement.
wjbender is offline Find More Posts by wjbender
Last edited by wjbender; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
I am thinking of using NEMA 12 enclosure and mounting it on the wall in my basement. I'll vent it to outside with 2 2" conduits that will pass throught the block wall and extend out about 12" to prevent flames from venting and vermon from entering I plan to put a wire mesh cover on the open end of the conduits outside. NEMA 12 box with gasket, welded seams, continuous hings and 1/4 turn latch. 14" X 12" X 6" cost approximately $ 88.0. EMT conduit and elbows are cheap too. All charging and discharging will be done in the box.

Anyone see any problems with this or have any suggestions for improvement.
Is the gasket on that box fireproof, would be my only question?
Otherwise looks like a good idea.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
Learnin mo ever day
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Is the gasket on that box fireproof, would be my only question?
Otherwise looks like a good idea.
The gasket on these is typically neoprene. Here is the box I plan to use:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ount/B161408CH

So, couple of thoughts:

Option 1
Use the gasket it comes with. It only has to last for a few minutes - I expect some leakage after it melts, but given the flue vent of two 2" conduits, or a 4" pellett stove pipe, 99% of the gasses will take the path of least resistance and vent to the outside. Fire will be 100% contained.

Option 2
Replace the gasket with some fireproof gasket material, such as fiberglass rope, silicone material of some kind. This needs more research for the best material.

I also plan to install a 10" vent fan next to this box. I am using an existing basement window for the wall openings. Just remove the window glass and replace with some of that fireproof/waterproof board used to rebuild showers.

With this in place I'll have a safe place to charge/discharge LiPo packs inside.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,424 Posts
Quote:
The gasket on these is typically neoprene. Here is the box I plan to use:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ount/B161408CH

So, couple of thoughts:

Option 1
Use the gasket it comes with. It only has to last for a few minutes - I expect some leakage after it melts, but given the flue vent of two 2" conduits, or a 4" pellett stove pipe, 99% of the gasses will take the path of least resistance and vent to the outside. Fire will be 100% contained.

Option 2
Replace the gasket with some fireproof gasket material, such as fiberglass rope, silicone material of some kind. This needs more research for the best material.

I also plan to install a 10" vent fan next to this box. I am using an existing basement window for the wall openings. Just remove the window glass and replace with some of that fireproof/waterproof board used to rebuild showers.

With this in place I'll have a safe place to charge/discharge LiPo packs inside.
If you are going to this extent to build a charging box, I would go ahead and use the rope gasket that is sold at wood stove stores, and used on stoves. It for sure will take the fire and heat. I wouldn't want the gasket to fail in any way. Need to contain 100% of the smoke IMHO. The stuff is toxic to lungs, metal and such. Your idea sounds really great. If you could keep the cost down, the idea maybe could be marketed.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:16 PM
Learnin mo ever day
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
If you are going to this extent to build a charging box, I would go ahead and use the rope gasket that is sold at wood stove stores, and used on stoves. It for sure will take the fire and heat. I wouldn't want the gasket to fail in any way. Need to contain 100% of the smoke IMHO. The stuff is toxic to lungs, metal and such. Your idea sounds really great. If you could keep the cost down, the idea maybe could be marketed.
Good thought and tip about the gasket. the biggest cost is the box and depending on size that is $75 to $120. I am useing a NEMA 12 box because it has latches that can be tightened to get a good seal. I am considering useing 2" or 3" conduit as the vent because it is sturdy, but I am going to look into 4" wood stove or pellet stove flu pipe. I'll check Lowes, Home Depot and the fireplace shops this weekend.

One other refinement is to modify a smoke detector to start an exhaust fan. Some of them have a light and I can use the light circuit to control a relay to start the fan. I plan to extend the power and balance leads by about 3' and mount the charger on a bench under the charge box.

I have a REVO MPA and a Cellpro PL8. I will mount the MPA inside the box and power it via the extended leads. Wish me luck with this.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Good thought and tip about the gasket. the biggest cost is the box and depending on size that is $75 to $120. I am useing a NEMA 12 box because it has latches that can be tightened to get a good seal. I am considering useing 2" or 3" conduit as the vent because it is sturdy, but I am going to look into 4" wood stove or pellet stove flu pipe. I'll check Lowes, Home Depot and the fireplace shops this weekend.

One other refinement is to modify a smoke detector to start an exhaust fan. Some of them have a light and I can use the light circuit to control a relay to start the fan. I plan to extend the power and balance leads by about 3' and mount the charger on a bench under the charge box.

I have a REVO MPA and a Cellpro PL8. I will mount the MPA inside the box and power it via the extended leads. Wish me luck with this.
I do wish you luck Bud, because I think it is a good idea.

But if your flue is big enough, and the box is 100% sealed and fireproof, I am not sure you would need the smoke detector/exhaust fan setup?

I would think 2, 2" EMT's would do the trick, unless you are charging really big Lipo's?

BD
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
One thing about the flue without the exaust fan. Like a fireplace chimney, the flue needs to be primed to get the heated smoke to rise. In cold weather that smoke may resist and spill out if the seal fails.

My thought was to use a radon balanced centrifical fan at 400 CFM into a 4 inch PVC pipe. Those fans are more than enough to evacute the smoke. I just cant figure out how to tripthe fan with the smoke detector : (
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Learnin mo ever day
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
One thing about the flue without the exaust fan. Like a fireplace chimney, the flue needs to be primed to get the heated smoke to rise. In cold weather that smoke may resist and spill out if the seal fails.

My thought was to use a radon balanced centrifical fan at 400 CFM into a 4 inch PVC pipe. Those fans are more than enough to evacute the smoke. I just cant figure out how to tripthe fan with the smoke detector : (
Here is the smoke detector I was planning to use. http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Alarm-Re.../dp/B001AYERC2

I wasn't thinking of using PVC as I was afraid it might melt. I am charging (for now) 8s 4000 mah LiPos and 4 to 6 2600 mah in parallel. so I am buying a large box (20 x 16 x 8) or so and I was planning on a apir of 2 - 3" emt conduits to vent through my basement window. I could use a 4" flu pipe but would prefer a fan mounted on the outside. I want a completely sealed system inside the house.

I plan to go to HD or Lowes to look at what might be in the store to get some ideas.

Keep the suggestions comming. I have been charging inside the house in LiPo sacks, but too risky. I have to get this system built.

Thanks all for suggestions.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Learnin mo ever day
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:

How about this fan?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGcQ8wIwAA#
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Just a quick note better late than never.

NEMA 12 is probably overkill. A NEMA 1 would be fine or even a 3R. 12X is typically fiberglass reinforced plastic (corrosion resistant). NEMA 1 or 3R are metallic.

Try hoffman for hinged enclosures.

Cary on.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem