Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>> i guess 1s micro lipos can take the most abuse

there was one case from India, where a Picoo Z clone (!) started a fire in the living room, while the family was eating downstairs. It's not the size of the LiPo, but the problem that it sets something else on fire.

>> Gravity your statements are ignorant
keep em' coming

>> like a hand grenade
Is your imagination running a bit wild, maybe?

>> That rubber seal will melt and vent toxix gas and thats if your lucky.
That's just the idea, that it typically (based on forum reports) does not explode.
I'm still looking for evidence to the contrary that points at "explosions like a hand grenade".

If, hypothetically speaking, it would build up enough pressure to blow the lid, that's a risk I'm more than happy to take. Given a (maybe 99.9 %) chance that it will contain the mess.
My risk assessment is that actual danger comes from a cloud of smoke in the apartment while everybody is sleeping. Not a "hypothetical explosion like a hand grenade" that is so far not supported by any evidence.

BTW there is a video of a bursting ammo box earlier in this thread. This was induced by massive overcharge (=electric heating) which doesn't happen in storage.
It's a can blowing its lid off, not an "explosion like a hand grenade".
if I get hit, you may overhear hear me cursing in a strange, foreign language. And that's it.
An "explosion like a hand grenade" means you'll suffer serious injury even at a distance of ten or twenty meters.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Last edited by gravityKills; Jan 06, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills View Post
>> i guess 1s micro lipos can take the most abuse

there was one case from India, where a Picoo Z clone (!) started a fire in the living room, while the family was eating downstairs. It's not the size of the LiPo, but the problem that it sets something else on fire.
well yeah i know that. i just meant they have a higher tolerance to being abused. but i keep mine sandwiched between two bags of ac moore art sand when in storage. and well uhh.....India ftw! parents were born there.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Gravity .....lol. The explosion is the result of expanding gasses in your container! You cant be serious.
Your AMMO box won't contain 99% of ANYTHING. The lid will de latch and send metal flying. Come on man my, dad was an explosives consultant for the armed forces and private demolition companies. Do you think Im making this stuff up? Come on, your smarter than this.....Drill those relief holes in your ammo box. Thank God I don't live next door to you : )
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
PS, I think theres a video on here somewhere of a 4s lipo blowing the lid off an ammo box. Do a search....
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>>You cant be serious.
I'm never serious

>> Do you think Im making this stuff up?
yes.
But you're welcome to convince me to the opposite if you provide some evidence. Not obscure theories.

>>PS, I think theres a video on here somewhere of a 4s lipo blowing the lid off an ammo box.
I think I agree, read my earlier post
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
Nuke em and lets fly...
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
WOW, this thread is getting hot. After reading about the hot gasses and bottle rockets I think I'm going to line my mini firdge with cement board. I have a few sheets left from my fireplace surround.

I too charge in a amo box currently but on a concrete floor in a non attached garage. No way will I use that inside a home, time to upgrade. LiPo sacks are ok but you still have to tink about the toxic fumes. I have a 2yr old and no way will there be toxic anything in my home... unless you count foam safe ca fumes.
BladeMan is offline Find More Posts by BladeMan
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I do believe that the fire is the lesser of the 2 evils. My biggest concern is the toxic smoke. You have no idea how much these things smoke. I have quite a few 6s5000's and I cant imagine one of those igniting indoors : (((((( I have all 56 Lipos in cinder blocks in my garage. If one goes up, id just open the doors and pray the metal on the cars doesnt corrode
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:25 PM View Post
Chocks
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Group attack). It is temporarily hidden while Chocks edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
Got Another Prop?
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Aug 2006
585 Posts
You would think someone raised by an explosives consultant for the armed forces and private demolition companies would have a concrete bunker in his back yard.. . .
WadesRC is offline Find More Posts by WadesRC
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:04 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills View Post
>> I have seen sealed strong boxes/ ammo boxes explode.

that's not the point. I don't care about the ammo box: There are straightforward ways to make a paper bag explode that it'll knock out a light wall (and, "no", I'm not going to tell how). "LiPo" is the magic word.

Is there any evidence for a stored LiPo causing an explosion?
Not what "could theoretically happen". Evidence.
No evidence that I know of gK.

I commented a while back about many large Lipo's (twenty 2200's) stacked tightly in a weak container "may" be a bomb in the making. I did not mean the batts themselves were going to explode, we all know that doesn't happen, to my knowledge anyway.

What I meant was would the weak container explode from the gas pressure generated when they all start to go? Would an ammo box stacked completely full of large Lipo's contain the gas pressure? That would concern me for sure.

I still think the best idea is an old burnt out wood stove with a large chimney, say maybe 8". I think it would exhaust most of the smoke out the chimney, if the air intake was closed off, and the stove was airtight except for the chimney. Best idea I have thought of, but not practical for everyone to build/install.

A person could even build a steel strong box to do the same thing, wouldn't be too tough I don't think. If one was going to charge inside a setup like that, it would only take one small entry hole for the charging leads and rest could be sealed up.

With all the comments about the smoke being so toxic and corrosive, the venting to the outside may be the most important issue.

What do you think guys? Yes/no?
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Jan 07, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocks View Post
You guys can get as dramatic as you want. I'm still taking GravityKills side. I've been doing this for years without a problem. Common sense is the rule. Oh I forgot not many of you have any. You can come up with all the videos and stories of people having problems with lipos. Just like you can come up with all the videos and stories of car crashes and airline crashes. It all comes back to the common sense thing. This whole post has gotten ridiculous.
Disagree Chocks, I do not think this thread is ridiculous, I think it is a valubale collection of thoughts that many people have put together. Thats what forums are all about.

I have learned allot from everyone here. Discussion is a good thing.

And I will have to say, common sense does not prevent 100% of malfunctions. A Lipo can bite anyone in the butt, common sense or not.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:57 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
1800 3s vented

4s Not vented

Does anyone know of other videos? From what I've seen so far, a quality sack is just as good as a box.

I'd really like to see how an ammo box holds up to larger packs. I have some 4S 5500s and many 2100 and up.

Thanks
Mum
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Chocks and Gravity also have big life insurance policies Im told....lol
Listen, you can all do what you want. Accidents do happen and these lipos can ignite hours after flights. Go back and read the info in the sticky section. There HAVE been fires and bad ones. No a new pack that never gets flown will rarely have issues but thats NOT the case here. What these block heads are refusing to look at, is the fact that bumps, bangs from landings can loosen internal wiring thus creating a potential short. There have been documented situations where this has happened.

I personally know of a guy who had one ignite inside his radio! They get bumped and things go wrong.

Now maybe Chocks and Gravity also play the odds and dont carry health or car insurance. Who knows. I do know that these packs can ignite and burn your house down and potentially kill someone. Be smart and be as safe as possible and PLAN for the worst.

PS, Its because of my dads background that I DO keep my lipos in concrete cinderblocks with 50 pound sandbags on top. But my statement remains that its the smoke thats the bigger PITA. You need to figure out a way to have a smoke dector trip an exaust fan that sits over the cinderblocks.

And yes Mumbly, a sack is better than an ammo box unless the ammo box is vented. I travel with several vented ammo boxes in the front seat. If something goes wrong, I'll open the window and toss the box out. I also have an exterior setup where a vented wooden box sits on a re configured bike rack. This holds the ammo boxes outside the car on longer trips.
Last edited by hidaven; Jan 07, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:11 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
....nevermind.....
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>> and Gravity also play the odds and dont carry health or car insurance. Who knows. I ... potentially kill someone. ... my dads background ... concrete cinderblocks with 50 pound sandbags on top

you'll notice that when the discussion turns towards the "my-daddy-knows-more-than-you" route, you'll lose the attention of most grown-up people rather abruptly