HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:02 PM
Kindly for the power
Joined Mar 2008
8 Posts
what's brand???
Allenkolo is offline Find More Posts by Allenkolo
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:32 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
boredom.is.me's Avatar
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,512 Posts
The other day I had a swollen lipo next to my foot.
It grew three time it's size! SCARY TO BE NEXT TO IT!
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:19 PM
Insane Plane Killer
X-Terminator's Avatar
USA
Joined Feb 2006
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
The other day I had a swollen lipo next to my foot.
It grew three time it's size! SCARY TO BE NEXT TO IT!
Worse than that is to find them ballooning while sitting in their packages at local hobby shops.

Just last week one LHS I frequent, had three of a rather famous brand doing just that, ballooning. The proprietor removed them from display to be sent them back to its "manufacturer".
X-Terminator is offline Find More Posts by X-Terminator
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:38 AM
like a rock!
gravityKills's Avatar
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
OK, here's my story. Tiny helis, small puffs of smoke, nothing bad happened, but almost...

I use seven cheap ESky chargers on a stabilized 12V supply.
One of them burnt, short-circuiting the connected 2s 800 mAh LiPo. The balancer cables burnt to a crisp, and smoke came billowing out of the ammo box where I keep them.
So I grabbed the LiPo, ripped it off the charger (it tore the balance cables out of the LiPo, since the other end was welded to the charger) and ran to the door, with a smoking and sparking LiPo in my hand...
Dumped it into a pile of snow, and when I came back I found out that the heat had short-circuited another LiPo and burned the JST connector, that was creating even more smoke, until the other guys cut off the plug. All that on a trade fair, with audience around.
Jikes! Time to invest in some better chargers.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'll frame U!
Bogomir67's Avatar
Joined Aug 2006
154 Posts
They do contain a lot of energy in a small space, don't they.

My friend Tido runs a soldering needle off a 3s Lipo. The thing draws about 1.5amps - no big deal for a 1200mAh 10C.

Soldering electronics with a battery half the size of a pack of cigarettes!
Bogomir67 is offline Find More Posts by Bogomir67
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hill icharger
China
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
OK, here's my story. Tiny helis, small puffs of smoke, nothing bad happened, but almost...

I use seven cheap ESky chargers on a stabilized 12V supply.
One of them burnt, short-circuiting the connected 2s 800 mAh LiPo. The balancer cables burnt to a crisp, and smoke came billowing out of the ammo box where I keep them.
So I grabbed the LiPo, ripped it off the charger (it tore the balance cables out of the LiPo, since the other end was welded to the charger) and ran to the door, with a smoking and sparking LiPo in my hand...
Dumped it into a pile of snow, and when I came back I found out that the heat had short-circuited another LiPo and burned the JST connector, that was creating even more smoke, until the other guys cut off the plug. All that on a trade fair, with audience around.
Jikes! Time to invest in some better chargers.
you are so brave to do this ,but it's very dangerous.when any electrical danger occurs,the first thing is to cut off the power(time allow)or run away.
I belive cheap thing,no quality.
harrief111 is offline Find More Posts by harrief111
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:41 AM
like a rock!
gravityKills's Avatar
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrief111
you are so brave to do this ,but it's very dangerous.when any electrical danger occurs,the first thing is to cut off the power(time allow)or run away.
I belive cheap thing,no quality.
Well, yes, but if I run away every time something starts to smoke, I'll cause a lot of fire alarms in my RC career
Technically you are right, you should take no risk regarding my own health blah blah blah but then it means setting off a fire alarm in a trade fair with several thousand people in the building. I'm not telling what other people should do, but I get invited occasionally to fly, for example in a shopping mall last Saturday, and if a LiPo misbehaves the plan is: "get that thing out of here, and FAST".
And yes, you get what you paid for. I bought two Bantam BC 6-10 last week, but it's 10 for the ESKY charger vs. 160 for the Bantam (which can balance charge three in series, though).
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:14 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Worse than that is to find them ballooning while sitting in their packages at local hobby shops.

Just last week one LHS I frequent, had three of a rather famous brand doing just that, ballooning. The proprietor removed them from display to be sent them back to its "manufacturer".
TP? I just saw some of those in the LHS that were puffed and pointed them out.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:38 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2004
840 Posts
How about charging in a vacuume ? No chance of fire then
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:04 PM
Insane Plane Killer
X-Terminator's Avatar
USA
Joined Feb 2006
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
TP? I just saw some of those in the LHS that were puffed and pointed them out.
YEP! You hit the bull's eye brand name wise. Must be some sort of QC issue or impurities in their electrolyte production process. Or it could be the environment there in IL and or here in VA that causes them to happily puff away like that.
X-Terminator is offline Find More Posts by X-Terminator
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm Earl
Hobbygroup's Avatar
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Anyone has some Lipo Videos I can download trying to make a power point on lipo fires

Ron Abir

AKA

Capt. Ron
Hobbygroup is offline Find More Posts by Hobbygroup
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
Registered User
RChovercraft's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2008
52 Posts
hmmm,
Exploding lipos... I wonder what a marshmallow roasted off a lipo fire would taste like? probably more chemicals than a cigarette!

I only use NIMH batteries from All Battery dot com, and they always work really, really, well. http://www.all-battery.com/

I am currently working on building a ducted fan boosted bicycle with four 4" ducted fans, and two 16" 2500 CFM Nascar racing fans. I got a killer deal on batteries. I got three 10,000 MaH NIMH batteries of Ebay originally from all-battery, and I am really excited about the possibilities if these packs.

I know that with RC planes a few grams really makes a difference and most people don't even consider not getting lipos, but NIMH batteries really have advanced alot. I think that if you can afford the extra weight, the savings that you get really makes it worth it.
RChovercraft is offline Find More Posts by RChovercraft
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:10 AM
like a rock!
gravityKills's Avatar
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Just wondering... you probably know about them already, but if not, check out A123 technology. Still a bit too much weight per energy, but they have other advantages (among others, they don't burn).
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
mondo1948
mondo1948's Avatar
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,016 Posts
Smoke from "Exploding Lipo's"

Hi Guys,
In reading some of this post, I realized that while I have battery bunkers to charge my batteries in, I hadn't thought about the heavy smoke that could ruin my home. I live in a condo with no basement, so I've been charging my lipo batteries on a bookshelf in my family room, setting the battery bunkers on large ceramic tiles that are fireproof. After looking at a video of an exploding lipo, I realized that the smoke may be a big problem....not just the flame exiting from the battery bunker. So, here's my solution that I'd like to share.

I've placed my 12 volt power source, balancing charger and battery bunker on the toilet tank in my family room bathroom (they fit comfortably). Thus, if a battery blows up, I can turn on the ceiling exhaust fan in the bathroom and hopefully get most of the smoke out of the house quickly (the fan is vented through the roof to the outside, not into the attic).

I think this is a good idea. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Last edited by mondo1948; Apr 15, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Triton temp. sensor prevent Lipo fires?? duganderson Batteries and Chargers 27 Aug 27, 2014 06:26 AM
How Prevalent Are Lipo Fires? DLC Batteries and Chargers 32 Sep 27, 2009 09:46 PM
Lipo Test are in tallflyer Parkflyers 0 Aug 26, 2003 12:09 PM
Question How Lipo's are rated electron_head Batteries and Chargers 6 Jun 30, 2003 08:58 PM
UK E Zoners are real people.... tim hooper Electric Plane Talk 13 May 01, 2001 10:00 PM