SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
True, but how many of those "sealed" Pb security batteries have blown up?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Never heard of one doing that. Still a lead acid batt. though. I still charge mine outside in the grill.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:01 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,824 Posts
One of big differences IMHO, is that lead/acids are more durable in the hard case. I believe that most lead/acid malfunctions occurr because of user mistakes while charging or shorting a recently charged batt.
I think the light foil encasement on Lipo's is inadequate, and alot of people just overlook damage and charge them anyway.
I think it is time to think about a better encasement for Lipos, the foil is just not enough protection.
But too strong and it would make a bomb out of it, there has to be an in between?
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:42 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
One of big differences IMHO, is that lead/acids are more durable in the hard case. I believe that most lead/acid malfunctions occurr because of user mistakes while charging or shorting a recently charged batt.
I think the light foil encasement on Lipo's is inadequate, and alot of people just overlook damage and charge them anyway.
I think it is time to think about a better encasement for Lipos, the foil is just not enough protection.
But too strong and it would make a bomb out of it, there has to be an in between?
BD
2 layers of foil
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:44 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Lead acid batteries? I thought this was the lipo fire thread?
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:05 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
BD
Before we get off the diversion of lead-acid batts, I jumped an Olds 442 almost 30 years ago. I didn't know to attach negative to the chassis and when I connected a large chunk blew out and spewed acid all over the engine compartment. Nasty and a good lesson.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:50 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
Lead acid batteries? I thought this was the lipo fire thread?
It is the Lipo Fire Thread, so can we only mention Lipo fires and nothing else?
Boys, if you don't have Lipo fire story then don't come around, I guess.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:04 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
and a honorary mention for tantalum capacitors... capacity-wise they are a disappointment, but the explosions aren't too bad
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,590 Posts
GM's Lipos Catch Fire (big surprise...)

"The Chevrolet Volt battery cell is encased in a polymer-coated
aluminum package"

Government Motors (GM) is apparently ignorant of many years experience with LiPos here on RC Groups and incorporates 400 pounds them in an automobile.

http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Medi...attery_101.pdf
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:57 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
At least they are using LiMn chemistry which is much safer than the LiCo chemistry we use for the most part.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
we need a nice jump in rc battery technology......more powerful than a LiPo with the safety of NiMh. Who do I write about that?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:15 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
we need a nice jump in rc battery technology......more powerful than a LiPo with the safety of NiMh. Who do I write about that?
You forgot cheap
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:34 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
your local nuclear power plant.

Uranium batteries anyone? you get a free lead suit....

JK.

i don't think theres any other two elements that can be put together into a battery compound and have the safety of a nimh and at the same time be more powerful than lipos.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:50 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
your local nuclear power plant.

Uranium batteries anyone? you get a free lead suit....

JK.

i don't think theres any other two elements that can be put together into a battery compound and have the safety of a nimh and at the same time be more powerful than lipos.
Did you guys see the old plane the russians made with nuclear power ? they couldnt get it off the ground with the protective layers around the reactor so they made the crew fly it without any protection what so ever ,,,,well as you can guess,they all died orible deaths,,,f#####g idiots ,,,,,didnt need to carry any weapons because if it was shot down over enemy ground it would just blow up and spread nuclear waste and fallout every where
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:09 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Did you guys see the old plane the russians made with nuclear power ? they couldnt get it off the ground with the protective layers around the reactor so they made the crew fly it without any protection what so ever ,,,,well as you can guess,they all died orible deaths,,,f#####g idiots ,,,,,didnt need to carry any weapons because if it was shot down over enemy ground it would just blow up and spread nuclear waste and fallout every where
DANG!!! why would they even try to build a nuclear power plane in the first place?!?!?!!?!?!?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68