HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
it looks like he got that from a pkg. insert.
lol@ 3.0 volts. Don't think the charger would recognize it that low
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:53 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
it looks like he got that from a pkg. insert.
lol@ 3.0 volts. Don't think the charger would recognize it that low
Never even take mine below 3.7
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post
Simply put, if it must be attended, it's not very safe. So to tell people to NEVER charge unattended is basically telling them to not achieve maximum safety. If your setup can crash and burn at any time unattended, it's far safer than attended and having to deal with a flaming spewing toxic bomb in a panic.
The statement is misleading.
Most pilots do not have the area or space to charge un-attended so their needs need to be taken into consideration.
The general public are forced to charge inside the house.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
hmmmmmmm

No front porch? I guess inside the house is Ok if its in a flower pot or something that you can grab and move out of the house ASAP if needed.

Keep in mind that while the majoriety of fires happen after crashes and while charging, LiPos Do spontainiously ignite on occasion. I knew of a guy a few years back that had a LiPo catch fire a full 2 hours after he stopped charging. Took out his workbench and the smoke corroded all of his HVAC ducts.

I store mine in cinderblocks set in a 1 foot deep rectangle pit dug into the garage concrete floor slab. 2 bags of sand on top. if theres a fire it will melt the plastic bags and drop the sand on the LiPo.

Smoke may still get out but thats about as safe as you can get storing indoors. A smoke detector rigged up to a H.O. exaust fan would be nice.......
Gotta figure that one out soon. Im in a townhouse development so i my unit goes, i take out 6 more : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Most pilots do not have the area or space to charge un-attended so their needs need to be taken into consideration.
The general public are forced to charge inside the house.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
No front porch? I guess inside the house is Ok if its in a flower pot or something that you can grab and move out of the house ASAP if needed.

Keep in mind that while the majoriety of fires happen after crashes and while charging, LiPos Do spontainiously ignite on occasion. I knew of a guy a few years back that had a LiPo catch fire a full 2 hours after he stopped charging. Took out his workbench and the smoke corroded all of his HVAC ducts.

I store mine in cinderblocks set in a 1 foot deep rectangle pit dug into the garage concrete floor slab. 2 bags of sand on top. if theres a fire it will melt the plastic bags and drop the sand on the LiPo.

Smoke may still get out but thats about as safe as you can get storing indoors. A smoke detector rigged up to a H.O. exaust fan would be nice.......
Gotta figure that one out soon. Im in a townhouse development so i my unit goes, i take out 6 more : (
Well at least thats something ,,,you wont be the only one to loose your home ,,,,i like to charge in the house,,as i walk back and forth doing my thing i like to put a hand on the lipo to feel the temp and a quick glance at how even the cells are charging,if they dont balance even you see one thats slow to reach peek volts and then i mark that lipo to keep an eye on when i fly and charge,,if it starts to be uneven by a large amount after a flight i toss the thing,,,,,i have had one fire and dont want another,,these lipos are sooo cheap this year it really doesnt bother me to loose a pack now and then,,better to loose a lipo than a plane or heli,,not to mention 6 houses lol.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
fire

how did you have a fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Well at least thats something ,,,you wont be the only one to loose your home ,,,,i like to charge in the house,,as i walk back and forth doing my thing i like to put a hand on the lipo to feel the temp and a quick glance at how even the cells are charging,if they dont balance even you see one thats slow to reach peek volts and then i mark that lipo to keep an eye on when i fly and charge,,if it starts to be uneven by a large amount after a flight i toss the thing,,,,,i have had one fire and dont want another,,these lipos are sooo cheap this year it really doesnt bother me to loose a pack now and then,,better to loose a lipo than a plane or heli,,not to mention 6 houses lol.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:15 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> to not achieve maximum safety.
you're using RC models. They are inherently dangerous.

Computer games are a safer alternative.
Note, there's a Lithium battery on most PC mainboards for the real time clock.
Avoid unnecessary risks by using safety goggles near your PC
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
forget that, theres a LiOn battery for the main as well. A little safer than LiPo but then again we don't try to charge the computer from dead to full in 15 min. either : )

There was nce a passenger jet crash in europe which was attributed to laptop batteries catching fire. Even with the thin air at altitude the fire burned like crazy, crashed the plane killing everyone.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
forget that, theres a LiOn battery for the main as well. A little safer than LiPo but then again we don't try to charge the computer from dead to full in 15 min. either : )

There was nce a passenger jet crash in europe which was attributed to laptop batteries catching fire. Even with the thin air at altitude the fire burned like crazy, crashed the plane killing everyone.
lovely.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:19 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, have a front porch but... I like to continue to fly thru the winter inside my 32x40x12 shop. Problem is cold, wind driven rain/snow etc. Not good to charge these batts in freezing temps(I have 1 degree F, below zero right now) high humidity like when raining/snowing. So if I want to fly, I have no option but to charge inside the shop. Don't know what else I could do. I think many pilots are in the same boat, I mean heli!

I have "toned down" the settings in my DX6i so that I can even continue to fly this 450(in my avatar)inside the shop. Breaks the winter boredom that can set in when the weather is disagreeable.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:35 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,787 Posts
Don't try this at home but... to give myself a better understanding of the volatility of these batts, I took 3 of my old E-Flite 1s 3.7 batts with not much charge left in them, to a fireproof area outside. I put on safety goggles and insulated coveralls and gloves. I hit each one with a hammer and then ran. The liquid solvent immediatly started running out and they started smoking. They never did ignite, but I think they would have if they had a full charge. I tried to stay upwind, but I got a small whiff of the smoke and it definatley gave me the feeling of being highly toxic. I plan to do this again with the next weak batts, but this time fully charged.
I do not recommend anyone try this but I did and I have a bigger respect for them now.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> Don't try this at home but...

oh this is the standard disposal method for LiPos at my flying field: Pierce them with a spiked gardening tool.
Occasionally, they do burn, which shouldn't really be a surprise.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
toxic smoke

the fire can be bad as its 3k in temp and starts with a flare up. usually you get a flare up for each of the cells as they ignite. But if its buring in a big flower pot or cinderblock the fire is containable. The smoke is a whole other story. I once had a 4s4000 go off at a soccor field and due to the humidity and lack of a breeze, the entire field was smoked out and you couldnt see the far end of the field! The smoke is toxic and even worsr it corrodes any metal it comes in contact with! IMO the smoke is far more destructive as theres nothing you can do to stop it other than leaving the lipos outside or somehow venting the area that the lipo lives in. Maybe if you charged and stored under a commercial range hood and attached a 500-1000CFM fan. You would need to exaust it outdoors somehow. A nice conditioned shed would be nice....Too bad in in a townhome : (((

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Don't try this at home but... to give myself a better understanding of the volatility of these batts, I took 3 of my old E-Flite 1s 3.7 batts with not much charge left in them, to a fireproof area outside. I put on safety goggles and insulated coveralls and gloves. I hit each one with a hammer and then ran. The liquid solvent immediatly started running out and they started smoking. They never did ignite, but I think they would have if they had a full charge. I tried to stay upwind, but I got a small whiff of the smoke and it definatley gave me the feeling of being highly toxic. I plan to do this again with the next weak batts, but this time fully charged.
I do not recommend anyone try this but I did and I have a bigger respect for them now.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
how did you have a fire?
Oh,,it was my fault,,,well it was my second plane that i purchased second hand and just put the 2s lipo on charge using the same charger that i had been using for my first plane,,a balsa pits special it really didnt like the volts i was putting through this 2s lipo,,i was in the next room and could hear this roar like a firework,,wow what a show dude,,the two cells blew apart and were spewing flames and smoke like a flare,,trashed sooooo much stuff and my misses was screeming,,it took me like 15 seconds to get all the burning stuff outside and the dammage was crazy,,,,,not one of the lipos i had gave any warnings or charge proceses to be followed,after the fire i was looking on line for a new plane to replace the dammaged ones and came across this thread,,was my actions that caused the fire but the rc shops standards at the time that didnt put any warning lables on the lipos that i had,,,oh well you live and learn,,well you do if the lipo doesnt burn the house down and kill you lol This thread should have a link at the begining of every thread on rc forums to warn people of potential dangers of lipos,,,have had lipos get hot and balloon up during charge and at the field after a flight since so i never keep a lipo in the house now,not worth the risk.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Oh,,it was my fault,,,well it was my second plane that i purchased second hand and just put the 2s lipo on charge using the same charger that i had been using for my first plane,,a balsa pits special it really didnt like the volts i was putting through this 2s lipo,,i was in the next room and could hear this roar like a firework,,wow what a show dude,,the two cells blew apart and were spewing flames and smoke like a flare,,trashed sooooo much stuff and my misses was screeming,,it took me like 15 seconds to get all the burning stuff outside and the dammage was crazy,,,,,not one of the lipos i had gave any warnings or charge proceses to be followed,after the fire i was looking on line for a new plane to replace the dammaged ones and came across this thread,,was my actions that caused the fire but the rc shops standards at the time that didnt put any warning lables on the lipos that i had,,,oh well you live and learn,,well you do if the lipo doesnt burn the house down and kill you lol This thread should have a link at the begining of every thread on rc forums to warn people of potential dangers of lipos,,,have had lipos get hot and balloon up during charge and at the field after a flight since so i never keep a lipo in the house now,not worth the risk.
dang! so where do you store them?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68