Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2002
301 Posts
Almost Ready to Fly - Tiger Moth

Construction is nearly complete, and all the electronics are in and working.

As I near the maiden flight of my TM a few questions come to mind.

I have flown a Firebird XL in the past and liked the feature when the battery got really low the engine would cut off but the control surface would still work to allow you to still control the plane dead stick.
How does this work with the TM?
If the battery runs too low do you lose the motor and all control surfaces at once?

Is there a way to tell other than timing yourself when the battery is getting too low?

How about landing in short grass or a baseball/softball diamond?
Or is a hard surface better?

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.
cubsflyer is offline Find More Posts by cubsflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:51 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==How does this work with the TM? ==

Assuming you are flying with Nicads or NiMH and not li-ons, it works exactly like you described above.

==If the battery runs too low do you lose the motor and all control surfaces at once? ==

No, you'll just lose power to the motor. you'll still have full control.

==Is there a way to tell other than timing yourself when the battery is getting too low? ==

The best way is to time your flights. After a few flights you'll have a good idea of flight duration. I personally use a wristwatch that has a built-in stopwatch with big, easy to use buttons! I can operate it without looking at it.

==How about landing in short grass or a baseball/softball diamond? Or is a hard surface better? ==

The softer the better for your 1st few flights. Long grass is the best. Eventually you'll be doing feathery landings on pavement as well as touch-and-goes!

Good luck on your maiden!!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:59 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Hello cubsflyer,

Congratulations on completing your TM. The speed controller will cut power to the motor when the battery gets low but you will still be able to move the control surfaces (rudder, elevator). Also you will be able to tell when the battery is getting low because the motor will sound lower and the airplane will slowly begin to lose power.

As for the landing, If you have succesfully landed you firebird and you are comfortable landing, them go for the hard surface (dirt or asphalt), the TM will land better on the hard surface. If you are not too good at landing then you should land in the grass. The TM usually noses over on grass landings because of its small wheels but it will not damage the airplane, the grass softens the impact.

To ensure you have good landings all the time, ALWAYS LAND INTO THE WIND. It slows the airplane down and gives a smoother rate of descent.

Also, you should fly the airplane until it touches the ground. Do not cut the throttle and try to glide in, the TM does not glide well and will be blown off course or nose in if you cut the throttle.

Check your CG and enjoy the Tiger Moth, it is one of the best airplanes available.
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Nov 13, 2002, 03:09 PM
I am to the limit!
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Sep 2002
138 Posts
Also - if your low voltage cutoff DOES kill the motor, you still can re-arm the engine by pulling the stick all the way back and then pushing it forward. Don't use it unless you absolutly must, of course. That assumes that you have the GWS speed control, the other ESC's should be similar.

Jeff
Jeff Costantino is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Costantino
Old Nov 13, 2002, 03:50 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I also time my flights like Tres, only my timer is in most of my radios. I tend to get a feel for maximum duration and set my timer for one minute less to allow me to land under power.

As PC_pilot says, the TM doesn't glide well. You'll be thankful to have that little extra juice left. Plus, once you start landing on hard surfaces, taxiing back is too cool

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:21 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Almost Ready to Fly - Tiger Moth

cubsflyer,

You are going to like flying the TM. You have just had the best rundown going! I sure wish I had been on this board when I was beginning to fly last year. These guys are THE BEST !!!!!!!!

Enjoy!!

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:27 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
I use the timer method too, but you can tell that the batteries are getting low. Doesn't climb as fast, speed reduces. You can even tell by the sound. Don't worry, after a few flights you'll know.

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk