Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Question
Great Planes Miglet/XPD-8/Synapse noise?

I am hoping to get the new Synapse EDF from GP pretty son, but I fly near some appartment buildings, and I dont want to fly anything that is too loud.

So is that EDF system very loud? The Synapse uses the same EDF as the Miglet/XPD-8, just the Synapse is brushless.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
No more Screamer
USA, MN, Eagle Lake
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
noise

The one I saw fly was quite loud compaired to my F-86
Steve
57_KID is offline Find More Posts by 57_KID
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
I disagree-
Compared to scale subjects that have longer inlet and outlet tubes, the Synapse is very quiet.
The model has only been flown publically at one event in NY state, where many pilots commented on how quiet and smooth it sounds.
Give it a try....the Synapse is tons of fun to fly.
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Thanks G Rod22x, that is what I wanted to hear.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
No more Screamer
USA, MN, Eagle Lake
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
I was speaking of the Miglet as it was refered to in the original post, as It uses the same EDF unit thats all
Steve
57_KID is offline Find More Posts by 57_KID
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
A lot of us have been whaling on the Synapse! No matter what, it's gonna put a smile on your face whether just going fast or balling it up.

Allegedly
this thing was flown into a chain-link fence, pulled out and chucked back into the air

Cheers,
e-guru

ps I guess noise is pretty subjective but I do not think it is very loud for the amount of "stink" it makes
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:32 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
I think the Miglet/XPD-8 are very quiet, especially when used w/ a mild or stock setup. The hyperflow fan is very quiet, very similar sound to the Wemo Minifan IMO. Compared to the Alpha fan, this fan is a kitten. It doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner on crack, it sounds nice n smooth like a fan should. My XPD-8 I had was very quiet for it's speed and power.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:43 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like I will be able to get it, I just wanted to make sure that I would not get kicked out of my only place to fly. I hope to get the Synapse soon, I just have a few other projects I need to get out of the way first.