SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:55 PM
What plane do I need now?
Yorba Linda, CA
Joined Jul 2004
75 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 J-3 Piper Cub - Build Ideas?

I just bought a H9 J-3 Cub - the ARF version. Got a Saito .72 FS to put in it. Anybody have experience with the plane and any building suggestions before I get started?

Larry
60+Retiree is offline Find More Posts by 60+Retiree
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Too cool!
I just bought the exact same thing!
I spent most of the night building and have the engine mounted and the tail, landing gear and rudder installed.

I love the look of the Saito, but what a bugger to get the cowl over it! It would have probably been better to cut the thing in half and hinge it.
I also had to flip the carb around so the throttle linkage was on the right side and the needle protruded from the cowling.

I have yet to mount the throttle linkage. I am open to suggestions though!
I will try to get some pix and post them.
Cheerz!
HornetFitter is offline Find More Posts by HornetFitter
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yorba Linda, CA
Joined Jul 2004
75 Posts
I've never started to build mine. Had other "projects" to finish first. So ..... I'm very interested in your experience on this one. Please keep me posted! Also, any pics that would help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Larry
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:12 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I have the same plane only the Plug and Play version. What a quality model. Mine came with the Evolution 46 installed. This plane flies so smooth. About 2 minutes into my maiden flight the engine quit. Not the ideal way to check slow flight and gliding capability but she came in nice and easy, no problems at all. I like the way mine flies, no bad habits.I did install a remote fuel fitting on mine into the right rear dummy cylinder head and plan to install a charge jack so I don't have to remove the top fuselage cover to charge the battery.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
Yorba Linda, CA
Joined Jul 2004
75 Posts
I'm glad that you like the plane and it flys well! The remote fuel and charge jack are great ideas. Thanks for the heads up, I'll put those in during the build.

Larry
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:03 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
The only things I wish Hangar 9 would have done was to put the N-numbers on the right side wing and on the plug-and-play version installed the switch in the lightning bolt on the side of the plane instead of right above it in the yellow covering. I may move it when I install the remote charge jack and patch the hole in the yellow covering where the switch was.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluemaster
I have the same plane only the Plug and Play version. What a quality model. Mine came with the Evolution 46 installed. This plane flies so smooth. About 2 minutes into my maiden flight the engine quit. Not the ideal way to check slow flight and gliding capability but she came in nice and easy, no problems at all. I like the way mine flies, no bad habits.I did install a remote fuel fitting on mine into the right rear dummy cylinder head and plan to install a charge jack so I don't have to remove the top fuselage cover to charge the battery.
Where did you mount the remote fuel fitting? I would like to do the same thing to mine!

THanks !!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:09 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Just a couple of pictures of the build... so far...
I also post some engine stuff in the engine section...
[IMG][/IMG]

Aileron servo extension holder mod for each wing
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:13 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
HornetFitter, I mounted the fueling valve on the right side of the cowl in the rear valve cover (silver square part) of the dummy engine. you might be able to see it if you look at the first of the two pictures I posted earlier. I mounted it there so it wouldn't look too obvious. It might be too hard to see, I'll try to post a better picture when I get a chance, taking the family to a Red Sox game in Tampa.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 06:17 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
I also picked up a set of the H9 40 size J-3 Cub Floats, to put on mine when the weather finally warms up. Should look really cool flying over the lake.

Last year, there were a couple guys hopped in a boat and flew their R/C aircraft from the Marina in Cold Lake accross the North Bay, which is about 11 miles. That would be really cool to see (or do)!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:34 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetFitter
I also picked up a set of the H9 40 size J-3 Cub Floats, to put on mine when the weather finally warms up. Should look really cool flying over the lake.

Last year, there were a couple guys hopped in a boat and flew their R/C aircraft from the Marina in Cold Lake accross the North Bay, which is about 11 miles. That would be really cool to see (or do)!
Here is a pic of the "Fuel guage" I added to mine...(and the flat black dash ...

And the Floats by H9...

Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Cool floats, there is lots of water here in Florida so my flying areas would be virtually unlimited but I'd also need a small boat as to be able to retreive the plane due to any technical difficulties. The floats really look good on the plane. The four stroke also looks good.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluemaster
Cool floats, there is lots of water here in Florida so my flying areas would be virtually unlimited but I'd also need a small boat as to be able to retreive the plane due to any technical difficulties. The floats really look good on the plane. The four stroke also looks good.
I was just in Florida in February of this year and had the opportunity to fly over alot of the State. No kidding about the water!!!!

I just came up with another "mod for the zip tie that H9 provides to you for securing the fuel tank. What I did was take some .051" monel wire and string it thru some silicone fuel line (to provide vibration isolation) and twisted an eye on either end. I then used a body clip for an RC truck body to go down both eyes and then clip onto the lower part of the loop, to secure it.
Heres' a couple pictures...

I also added a "fuel guage" in front of the windscreen...
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Old thread, new Hanger 9, J-3 Cub builder.....anyone still out there interested in continuing this thread? My build is going to be electric. Saw an electric fly recently and was amazed.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:17 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
I was going to buy one, but decited I needed to buy a cheaper plane and get more practice before I get a 250.00 cub.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1