Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Discussion
Jim Davis - Slim Jim?

Jim Davis Slim Jim / Low Jim / Mini Jim?

Does anyone remember these models from late '70s/ early '80s, all had foam wings were great to fly - I flew all of them at some point - but no one I talk to remembers the models ( the SlimJim as about 60" aerobatic highwing model)..or am I just showing my age
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
marksherlock,

I had one but I didn't get any photos. My Slim Jim flew amazingly well for an unwanted kit I bought cheap at a club sale in about 1985. I fitted an HP61 which was a bit large so I loaded the tail end with lead shot. Unfortunately due to the extra power, I had tail-plane flutter which caused a crack to appear and all the shot dribbled out this in-turn caused it to become unfeasibly nose heavy and it ditched in a plowed field. Minimal damage fixed and a new load of shot epoxied into position It continued to fly on and off for years until I gave it to a young club member, I think he totaled it some time later.

At least I was certain it was a Slim Jim but it doesn't quite fit your description as it was a low-wing aerobat "40 size".

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
marksherlock,
I had one but I didn't get any photos. My Slim Jim flew amazingly well for an unwanted kit I bought cheap at a club sale in about 1985. I fitted an HP61 which was a bit large so I loaded the tail end with lead shot. Unfortunately due to the extra power, I had tail-plane flutter which caused a crack to appear and all the shot dribbled out this in-turn caused it to become unfeasibly nose heavy and it ditched in a plowed field. Minimal damage fixed and a new load of shot epoxied into position It continued to fly on and off for years until I gave it to a young club member, I think he totaled it some time later.
Andy.
I hate to say it but thats kinda a funny series of events...
--Jeremy
jrbackus is offline Find More Posts by jrbackus
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:20 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
jrbackus,

You didn't hear about my resin-rocket aerobat that flew 4 miles and landed AND I MEAN LANDED itself on someone's front drive in suburbia, missing all the surrounding trees, lamp posts, houses and people.

Andy.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Thanks Andy,
Sounds to me like you had the Low Jim, did it have foam veneered fin and tailplane, and full length ailerons? I think the Slim Jim and Low Jim were both 40 size, I flew on an old Irvine 40, then an OS 40. I totalled mine about 20 years ago while practicing outside loops ( I changed my mind half way round)
and the result was serious wing failiure near the root! If you remember how thick those wings were you can imagine the sound that made - it was like a shotgun going off!!!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Talking of fly aways, I remember hand launching KK Super 60, with a full tank (about 20 minutes) flying time and as I pushed the model forward, my thumb switched the radio switch off on the side of the fuse, We had a call about 6 days later from a farmer 20 odd miles away who saw the model landed in his field, but on looking from his kitchen window, his wife convinced him it was just a fertilizer bag so it sat there for 6 days!! but we got it back in one piece. Not many farmers are that tollorant towards aeromodelling are they?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:06 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Mark,

I think I used an all sheet tail on my "low Jim", if I remember some of the veneer had come off the original parts. It did have full length ailerons and a semi-symmetrical section but it flew like it was fully symmetrical. It went particularly well from inverted hand-launch when flying from rough ground.

Andy.