HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:40 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
Discussion
Predator Bat Build Help!

Hi Guys,

I picked up a Predator Bat from Karl on Saturday, the kit came without instructions so I'm trying to use the build instructions from another plane, the Superfreak, to build it. Karl is now out of town (I think) so I could a little help from you guys who have built a Bat!

Some questions:

1. Where is the CG? And measured from what edge.

2. How many ounces of lead do I need in the nose? I dont want to have to go back in and add more later.

3. What is that yellow mesh shown in the pictures? It was not in the kit box.

Any other tips or comments on the Bat would really be appreciated.

Hey, this is my very first post, congratulate me!

Thanks!

Steve
sdovala is offline Find More Posts by sdovala
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:58 AM
Diggin the Foam
Denver Arapahoe, Colorado, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,292 Posts
Sorry I've never built a Bat. but I would wait and see if Karl is around today.

he didn't send a CD?
Tonasty is offline Find More Posts by Tonasty
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:03 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
No Bat Instructions

Yes, he did include a CD but it only had actual instructions for the Suprefreak.
It did have some pictures of the Bat but no specs or instructions at all. I think the build is similar but I can't go forward by just guessing. I sent Karl a PM and some phone calls but no reply yet...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:09 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
Monokote?

One more question, what covering do you guys recommend to go over the Gooped wing? Will Monokote be ok?

I'm really just dying to get on with this build! NCAR is calling me to fly.

Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:29 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
Windrider instructions

Oh, the kit did come with instructions from Windrider, anyone who has seen those instructions would know that is NOT what he intended me to use. The main reason I got this particular wing is that Karl is known to include really good instructions, with the Bee at least. At this point I'm stuck!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with those specs, Karl could be gone for who knows how long. He did tell me quickly some of those specs in person but I didn't write it down because I thought the kit would have his good instruction CD.

I wish I would have got the HP48 instead now... Probably better for a new builder. I do still love the Bat wing shape tho!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:38 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
i'm sure Karl will come on and sort you out.... I've got an hp60 and it's not the easiest build rc flying has ever seen, so don't go down the grass is greener route!

monokote should be fine. Or ultracote. definitely not packing tape!
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:54 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
So the function of the Goop is to help hold on the Monokote? I've only built with Super 77 spray adhesive before. Don't you let the Goop dry before applying the Monokote? I dont understand how it can stick if it is already dry.

I have a LOT to learn.

I know the grass is not greener on the HP48 side of things, just heard that it has really clear instructions on paper. You are right tho, good advice.

Predator Wings worldwide global headquarters is located just 15 miles from me so I will have plenty of support here...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:06 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
try using these instructions. they are very detailed.. http://www.wowings.com/product/wowin..._aus.asp?id=76

best of luck.
OzzieSloper is offline Find More Posts by OzzieSloper
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
yes the instructions are clear on the halfpipe, but the build, although not complex, is quite demanding. you also have to use things like gorilla/pu glue, which takes a little practice.

The purpose of goop is not as a glue like '77, you let it dry completely before covering. Although coverings do stick to thinned goop better than plain epp, this is a side-effect. goop is used to strengthen epp. although epp is strong in some ways it's quite weak to being torn and twisted etc. If get two small pieces of EPP and thinned-goop one and not the other you will see that you can tear the non-gooped one rather easily, but the gooped one is really tough. It's used mostly at wing tips and leading edges, which tend to take the most punishment. Karl is really keen that his planes are super strong.

in terms of sticking to dried goop - goop is like anything else. some things will stick to it and some things will not. Covering sticks fairly well to it.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
oops. should mention you can dl the instructions at the bottom of the page in MS Word format.
OzzieSloper is offline Find More Posts by OzzieSloper
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:20 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
That plane on the link you posted looks more like the Bee than the Bat so I dont think the amount of lead or the CG will be even close.

Also- I'm on a Macintosh computer so I cant open the .doc file.

Thanks for trying--
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
Nice explanation

Thanks! I do understand now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
yes the instructions are clear on the halfpipe, but the build, although not complex, is quite demanding. you also have to use things like gorilla/pu glue, which takes a little practice.

The purpose of goop is not as a glue like '77, you let it dry completely before covering. Although coverings do stick to thinned goop better than plain epp, this is a side-effect. goop is used to strengthen epp. although epp is strong in some ways it's quite weak to being torn and twisted etc. If get two small pieces of EPP and thinned-goop one and not the other you will see that you can tear the non-gooped one rather easily, but the gooped one is really tough. It's used mostly at wing tips and leading edges, which tend to take the most punishment. Karl is really keen that his planes are super strong.

in terms of sticking to dried goop - goop is like anything else. some things will stick to it and some things will not. Covering sticks fairly well to it.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
USA, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2007
22 Posts
4" from the nose

The Windrider instructions call for a CG of 4" from the nose. I'm thinking that much is probably correct at least. I would really be surprised if they provided the wrong CG, I mean they are the ones making the wing cores...

I'm going to assume that it is going to at least be close to that or within 1/8th inch.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
cool!

I'm not an expert - i only recently worked this technique out myself. I would really recommend doing some tests on scrap epp. It's not that hard but you need the right amount of thinner. Too much and it doesn't work and too little and it's too gooey to spread nicely. i used a small paint brush to apply.

Your American compatriots say it should be like "maple syrup". I assume you know what that's like better than I do!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:35 AM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
Steve,

Don't panic. I know that looking at how a Bee, lumberjack, raider, thruster, devestator, moth, halfpipe, gulp, weasel, ridgerunner, ANY Leading Edge Gliders or any other foam plane is built does not seem like instructions but they ARE!!!!!

Most people might tell you to do a search on the bat and see how others before you have gone, but I have pulled out just a few threads on the bat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693658
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605603
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665094
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645283
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636269
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534425
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629304
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse