Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:52 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Discussion
Questions on an EDF concept

So I'm currently on vacation far away from my work shop, but having my laptop and being bored I decided the best use of my time last night would be to design something cool on solidworks!

This is what I came up with with. Please bear in mind that it's only a few hours of work and far from complete. What I'm looking for is feedback on the design concerning whether or not it's potentially airworthy. Please let me know what you think.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar design elsewhere, but I can't remember where. If any of you design gurus our there know of a similar airplane, please let me know what it's called.

Thanks,
Irish Lord
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2007, 04:03 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Yeah, it's been done before. (Not necessarily as DF.) I'm pretty sure I have seen similar designs on reports from inter-ex.

Potentially airworthy, yes.

However, the joint of the pressurised underside of the upper wing with the suction side of the lower wing is an aerodynamic nightmare. I expect lots of unnecessary drag. I'd at least round out that joint, if not providing a short vertical surface.

But if you want to build this just to prove that "it can be done" go ahead. these things are fun.

[edit]
Whoa! It doesn't get much more serious than that.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Last edited by MarkusN; Jul 23, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:05 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Cool Markus, thanks for the input and the article. I had thought that it might be better to put a vertical surface like you mentioned, but being an extreme novice in aerodynamics, I didn't. Anyways, it'll be a good while before I am ready to build a model like this, and the design I have will need a lot of change to house all the batteries and radio gear.

thanks again.

IrishLord
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99