SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:27 AM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
Discussion
Alternative to 3m77 spray glue

Is there something here in oz thats easy to get, as an alternative to 3m77 spray glue ?
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:17 AM
kkw
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,442 Posts
If you are spraying EPP then any of the spray adhesives will do. If you are spraying polystyrene, then I wouldn't use anything but 3M77 Super - old formula. I have a few dozen cans left.

Klaus
Airsports R.C.
kkw is offline Find More Posts by kkw
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
167 Posts
me_wantee recommended me the 'Magic' spray adhesive - you can pick them up from Kmart etc for around 10bucks for a large can. So far, so good.
Lukey is offline Find More Posts by Lukey
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:36 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
ARGGGGGHHHHH Lukey the Magic is solvent based it melts foam !!!! use it with great caution
SteveW who has a can of it and cant do a thing with it
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:41 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
I'll have it.
Works fine on EPP.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:44 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
EPP yeah anything else use with caution
SteveW who uses Zap with EPP
Old Jul 23, 2007, 04:57 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
I've been using "3M Spray Adhesive Range, Multi-Purpose Spray, 476gm
Product No. 3M0395616" from Officeworks on EPS without problems.

According to the man on the phone at 3M Australia it is the same stuff with a pretty can for retail outlets.
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:21 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,117 Posts
Hey Bruce, I just picked up a can of spray adhesive from Clark rubber. It's made by Bostik. Designed for use on styrene. Tested it on Depron and looks ok. Not sure how well it stick though. Still need to do some more testing there. Only cost 10 bucks for a 350 gram tin.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophilia
Hey Bruce, I just picked up a can of spray adhesive from Clark rubber. It's made by Bostik. Designed for use on styrene. Tested it on Depron and looks ok. Not sure how well it stick though. Still need to do some more testing there. Only cost 10 bucks for a 350 gram tin.
Ive used it as well does stick but not well make sureto shake the hell out of the can first other wise it wont stick at all.
SteveW
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:39 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
I tried a couple from art stores before finding some 3M77... having used it I wouldn't recommend anything else.
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:37 AM
Have plane, will crash
Australia, VIC, Newport
Joined Oct 2006
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone
I've been using "3M Spray Adhesive Range, Multi-Purpose Spray, 476gm
Product No. 3M0395616" from Officeworks on EPS without problems.

According to the man on the phone at 3M Australia it is the same stuff with a pretty can for retail outlets.
same here, same story from the 3M phoneline but someone in here says it has a different propelant, but it works fine on EPP

If you want the real 77, ring your nearest Ideal Electrical wholesaler, they stock it...about $33 a can methinks

I used a spay Adhesive from bunnings first, it actually made the cross weave tape less sticky than with no spay
Marty
Hytram is offline Find More Posts by Hytram
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:17 PM
kkw
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,442 Posts
The 3M77 multipurpose, has a different propellant which will eat away at expanded polystyrene. If you hold it about 40cm away and do light misting sprays, the propellant will evaporate to a large degree and probably cause no damage, but why take the chance, when you can buy the original formula and have no such worries at all? As I stated earlier, you can use whatever you like on EPP. The 3M phoneline person has given you a bum steer. They have thousands of products, and it would be a big ask for someone to know the tech details of each one. Unless the help desk person was a modeller or actually had experience or feedback, then they would only be looking at the tech detail specs of a product.
I reviewed a Ricochet some years back, and used a well known brand of spray adhesive, which had 'Safe to use on polystyrene foams' written on the can. Well, after the semi liquid mush that was oozing out between the balsa skins had finished thier chemical reaction, I got on the phone. A rep came to my house, took the wings away and a day or so later, I got a cheque to replace them. The new cans no longer had the styrene safe info on them!!
I have learnt long ago, that it is false economy to drive 50klms to save a few cents on product 'B' when product 'A' is the best available. I sell the 3M77 original, for $22 a can. (just to compare the $33 quote avove )
kkw is offline Find More Posts by kkw
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:51 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Office works 3M works on polystyrene foam is s..t hot stuff great on EPP to.
And it is 2/3 the price of 77

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:37 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
Klaus,

Just checked the Multipurpose can and sure enough it has the Hydrocarbon propellant not the bigger hole in the Ozone layer stuff.

Well I've been luck and not turned any of my EPS models into a goey mess.
I'll have to order a can of the "real stuff" to compare it.

Cheers

Mark
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
Old Jul 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
Joined Jun 2007
19 Posts
I went to Officeworks yesterday in Artarmon (northern Sydney) to see what they had was pleasantly surprised to find genuine 3M Super 77 in a 467g can for $21.78!

I am not sure exactly which version it is, as this is the first can I have bought, but it says in two different places on the directions that it is suitable for styrofoam and even says "Formulation allows the bonding of Styrofoam without causing cavitation" as one of the main features of the product.

The propellant is Hydrocarbon and the word Acetone does not appear anywhere on the entire can.
Sam_K is offline Find More Posts by Sam_K