HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:11 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
Build Log
"Use the force J!" A-Wing build (maybe...)

Ok, so I'm in the middle of a project and I got a build idea keeping me up at night. I saw the build thread on R/C Star Wars fighters on the forum and it sparked me for some reason. So what if I'm a big Star Wars nut (kinda), to me this would be kick azz to build and fly. The cards are stacked against me though. 1) I've never scratch built a EDF plane before. 2) My idea on this plane is to use 2 ducted fans, never done that either. So I would like to ask you all for your input on this. Is it possible? I think so, but I would like you all to throw in your proffesional opinion please. Here are some good views to get the juices flowing. Thanks ahead of time guys.
Big J is offline Find More Posts by Big J
Last edited by Big J; Jul 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:45 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
I have no experiece building, but looking at those "thurst vector control" at the end of the thrusters gave me the idea of using them as elevons. You can use independent thrust vectors to roll or pitch the A wing. I have no idea if that will work at all but it sure would be really cool if it does.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
I agree with you boosted. Here are my ideas so far.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:15 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
So I put some more thought to the idea.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J
I agree with you boosted. Here are my ideas so far.
Hmm, actually I was thinking making the fan point up and down for aileron or elevator control. So instead of an actual aileron, you make one fan point up and the other point down and you roll the a-wing that way. Not sure if that's possible though. Same with the elevator control, you point both fans up or down. Keep us posted of your progress!
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:51 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Ducts will need to be a lot bigger than that. They need to be able to get enough air into them to match the cross section of the output.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I think this picture, or one VERY similar was what gpw based his 'vector x' model on...

Pretty neat stuff, and I'm following along!

-ms
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:40 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
put some cheater intakes on the bottom

OR

the thrust vectoring ring at the extreme rear of the engines could be a ducted fan in open air; that coupled with your smaller intake idea would provide plenty of airflow

OR

with a 2-3 foot span, ducted fans to fill those engine pods diameters might be very large. if you use brushless fans then you might be able to use smaller diameter units for the same power levels as larger brushed fans. the advantage to that would be that you wouldnt need such large amounts of cross-sectional airflow to the fans, and the scale intakes at the leading edge would be large enough most likely.

OR

last one; promise

get 2 of those little screamers high KV parkjets motors and put those in the rear thrust vectoring rings...

ill definitely be watching

-david
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
All very good food for thought, keep the ideas coming I really appriciate it. Since I would be using some sort of light weight depron for frame and body, could I go with a pair of these? The cost is right. I found some tubing that would house them very nicely and it's very light as well.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:36 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
Im Watching You,,,,,,lol
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:25 AM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
the only problem I see is CG location your going to need a truck battery up front. or get all your radio parts ahead of cg as far as possable. just my 2 cents worth
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,536 Posts
how big is you duct intake seen from the front..?
you might have to cheat a litte to make it work
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:40 AM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
Yeah I'm either going to make the slot in the front a bit larger or have the intake come in from the bottom or top. The tubing used to house the motors are a hair over 2" in diameter so they are not that big.

I guess my question now is what is the best LiPo battery set-up for this. The fans are rated 9.6v -> 10.8v and I sent GWS an email to ask them. sorry a little new to EDF like I said.
Last edited by Big J; Jul 25, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:18 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Joined Jun 2007
147 Posts
Ask and ye shall recieve

I just wanted to say I just had a very nice conversation with a rep from GWS (wish I got his name). Here is what we discussed. He felt that the EDF50 would not be enough power for this model and to upswing to the EDF55 w/ 300 Motor. To keep it all under control use a 30 - 40amp ESC, small and light-weight of course. Finish it all off with a 3cell LiPo 1300-1500mAh and now we're cookin with grease. Keep the flying weight under 19oz and the wing area under 216 sq. inches and it should perform fine.

Thanks masked GWS guy, lmao. Next time I'll get your name dude.
Last edited by Big J; Jul 25, 2007 at 03:59 PM.