SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
48 Posts
Question
Magnum .91 vs. Saito .91

I have been reading about people getting the same amount of power out of their magnum and saito, so could this actually be true or is it better to buy a more expensive saito?

-Matt
kbless7 is offline Find More Posts by kbless7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:39 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i dont know but i strongly believe in you get what you pay for. buy cheap get cheap. but magnum has a sour taste in my mouth because i had one of there engines and id did not run right but that may just be me
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
Joined Jul 2007
48 Posts
I figured that was what people would say. I was banking on a Saito anyways. A lot of people have told me to get one.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
I think one of the major advantages of the Saito is the lower weight. Unless I'm mistaken, the Saito .91 is several ounces lighter than the Magnum .91.

As far as Saitos in general, I have a 1.00 and it is the finest engine I've ever owned. It's my first 4-stroke and it has been a pleasure to use. It's only got 2 gallons or so through it, but it's been 100% reliable and puts out gobs of power. I'll add my vote for Saito.
justerik is offline Find More Posts by justerik
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:16 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
After seeing other club members fiddling with their ASP/Magnum 4-strokes and getting pretty average power out of them -- while I burn holes in the sky flight after flight with my faultless Saito 100, I'd definitely say that the Saito is worth the extra money.

Add the price of even a cheap ARF that is crashed because the engine gave trouble and you can see that "investing" in a good quality engine can save you heaps in the long-run.

But, having said that, the Magnums are a great engine for the money. They'll work "as advertised" for many years and pull your sport/scale plane around good enough for 90% of people to be satisfied.

But my (very limited) dollars still go to Saito :-)
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:37 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
I own several Magnum 91's a 61 and a 70; every one of them runs like a champ, never have adjusted the valves on any of them, and never have to mess with the low speed needle once it is set. For reference I also own an OS 91 and a 70 which also run like champs. I have 3 more Magnum 91's brand new in the box too, with kits on the shelf for them to go into. I think the Magnums are an excellent product. Ever since Magnum changed the design to have the crankcase vent to the carburator intake they run right out of the box just like an OS does.
I heartily recommend the Magnums with no reservations or qualifiers at all.
While I have no personal experience with Saito, I have seen many in operation, they are fine pieces of machinery and if you yearn for a Saito then get one.
Magnum still does not have the "star" power that Saito and OS have but it is a very good engine, If bang for the buck is what you are looking for go for the Magnum.
Regards,
Charlie
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
48 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure which one to get though.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:09 AM
Quick! Pull my finger!
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
What plane are you looking to fly?

I have a Magnum 91 ($170) in a Four Star 60 and it's a good solid engine. It's easy to start and turns a 13x8 prop all day long. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, it's a good match for that plane.

Personally, I'd jump over the Saito and go with a YS 110 if performace is what I needed. I have a 110 in a 60 size Edge 540. It's turning a 14x10 prop and that plane screams.
alan_scott is offline Find More Posts by alan_scott
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
Joined Jul 2007
48 Posts
I'm not sure which plane I want to put it in? I was thinking along the lines of a yak or an extra 330s. Any suggestions on that plane?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:32 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
If you intend to fly 3D then the Saito would be a better bet than the Magnum -- it's a *lot* lighter. Well the Saito 100 would be better, it's a *very* light engine for its size and power.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jul 23, 2007, 04:11 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
If you intend to fly 3D then the Saito would be a better bet than the Magnum -- it's a *lot* lighter. Well the Saito 100 would be better, it's a *very* light engine for its size and power.
I agree.
Go for the lightest weight and the most cubic inches.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
USA, OH, Lodi
Joined Nov 2005
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justerik
I think one of the major advantages of the Saito is the lower weight. Unless I'm mistaken, the Saito .91 is several ounces lighter than the Magnum .91.

As far as Saitos in general, I have a 1.00 and it is the finest engine I've ever owned. It's my first 4-stroke and it has been a pleasure to use. It's only got 2 gallons or so through it, but it's been 100% reliable and puts out gobs of power. I'll add my vote for Saito.
I have a Saito 100 also and I have to boast it's a sweet fiddle free engine with gobs of power to spare. Quiet also.
expo is offline Find More Posts by expo
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:09 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Saito beats magnum hands down. The saito's are works of art with their 1 piece head/cylinder with a hemi head. Plus horizons repair/service policy beats hobbico's big time.

The saito 91 is perfect for overpowering most .46 2 stroke airframes.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:37 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,658 Posts
Hey, Dylwad, ever had to fix a Saito, tear one down? Bring your wallet with you when you do. I agree with Chashint, Maggies are good engines and I too like the PCV set up, it ensures good valve train lubrication and keeps the plane clean.

And oh yes, I have Saitos, Maggies and OS four strokes in my stable.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Last edited by Chip01; Jul 31, 2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:43 AM
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
magnum

In all honesty I would lean towards the Magnum, as I have a 70 in a 40sized Decathlon and it has been a great engine and a wonderfull combination with that plane.One of my mates at our club who hopes to join the TOC circuit next year maintains that a Saito will never run sweetly untill it has had it's warranty factory re-build.He owns his own Airforce let alone squadron of the things.

Cheers Rinkhals
rinkhals is offline Find More Posts by rinkhals