HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Discussion
Stickers on molded wings - does it matter?

I have a nice 60" molded glider (Bird, HN 354) but it is mostly white with just a bit of red on the leading edge and tips. I'd like to put some sort of design over the top of the wing to aid in visibility - so obviously it would have to cover a significant area, for argument's sake let's say 1/4 to 1/3 of the surface. I'd like to do it in sign vinyl. I couldn't care less about the weight, but will the thickness of the vinyl and irregular pattern affect the airfoil in any way? Am I better off spending the time on a good paint job?
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2007, 04:07 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Unless you are squeezing the thing to its limit for competition, it won't affect it enough to be an issue.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Thanks for the response. Someone else told me I should just try it and if I actually notice a difference then I should try out for the F3J team
Old Jul 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
857 Posts
I remeber seen somewhere that the height of a decal must be smaller than boundary layer, and this is important on the first quarter of the chord where the flow is laminar. Aft the 25% of the chord the air is turbulent and maybe the decal will help adding turbulance.

If I remember well I would swear that I read it from a M. Drela note, but I could be wrong.

Take care.
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Jul 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
914 Posts
Try http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/ to find the height of the boundry layer
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:15 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Question: Do model planes achieve laminar flow over the wings at the Reynolds number and speeds they fly at?

If the wings do not achieve laminar flow then does the height of the boundary layer have any meaning?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks. -John Elliott
jbeanelliott is online now Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo RW
If I remember well I would swear that I read it from a M. Drela note, but I could be wrong.
I remember this too from Dr. Drela but I couldn't find the original post...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 04:21 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeanelliott
Question: Do model planes achieve laminar flow over the wings at the Reynolds number and speeds they fly at?
Actually model aerodynamics often has the inverse problem: making sure the boundary layer transits to turbulent early enough to avoid laminar separation.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:41 PM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
WA
Joined Jan 2005
445 Posts
If you look for sign vinyl make sure you ask for high performance or cast. These should be about 2mil in thickness and have a glossy surface.
If you get calendared or indoor grade vinyl it will be 4-6mil and may or may not be glossy depending on brand and quality. The calendared vinyl is streched to thickness during manufacture and is less stable as sun and heat can cause it to pull up edges. However, it will stick to foamies better

Ken
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:46 AM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
If any blisters remain under the trim you can remove them by pricking them with a pin and flattening the blister with a warm covering iron. Don't overdo it and melt the foam! Try on scrap first. This will keep things smooth Bill
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Jul 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeanelliott
If the wings do not achieve laminar flow then does the height of the boundary layer have any meaning?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks. -John Elliott
Yep. The larger it is the thicker the airfoil will act. Your 'effective' airfoil shape traces the outside of the boundary layer (within about 80% of its thickness).
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:37 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
Yep. The larger it is the thicker the airfoil will act. Your 'effective' airfoil shape traces the outside of the boundary layer (within about 80% of its thickness).
Also, because the BL is resilient, small differences in airfoil shape won't get their full effect. Say you have an airfoil with quite a bit of aft camber (which makes for lots of lift) That little twist at the trailing edge will be obscured to the flow within the "mush" of the BL and you won't achieve full lift. This is one reason why max lift usually is lower at low Re.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:33 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,647 Posts
stickers on wing.

Simple test.Trim out glider to fly straight and level. Weigh stickers for ONE wing, add to one wing, add balancing weight to other wing.Fly it, see if it pulls to one side or is inclined to drop stickered wing first at stall.
Remove balance weight, add stickers to other wing, fly again.
I doubt there will be much difference, except that turbulation effect might improve performance slightly.
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin