Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Help!
"GMFC" PROBLEMS CUTTING TAPERED WING

I am having problems cutting tapered wings using gmfc pro 3.0
The wire on root x axis travels the correct distance down the cord
But the tip x axis doesn’t travel the total distance entered in to the panel parameters tip cord field

It is not missing any pulses from the controller as it always returns to the correct home position

The wing profile is the supergee 2 tip

In the Panel Parameters
Root cord 140
Tip cord 86
Leading edge sweep back 37
Panel span 245

In the panel cutting
Right wing
Top first
No trimming
Block centered in z (I placed the root of the foam block at the center of the z at a right angle)
Offset x 40
Wedge y 10
Repeat 1

The lead in angle at the trail edge is ok but always ends up cutting a narrow tip cord by cutting the lead edge to soon at the tip only.

I'm pulling my hair out ! This cnc project has had many challenges and lots of fun but this part has me stumped.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dale
Dale W is offline Find More Posts by Dale W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Does it do the same when you cut a left panel? *Every* time I've had a problem with narrowed chord at one end or the other it's been due to binding in the lead screws somewhere.

Gilles, the author of GMFC, has helped me straighten out a few minor problems with GMFC, you might try the CNC foam cutting group on groups.yahoo.com

Nauga,
who loves his foam cutter
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:36 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale W
Block centered in z (I placed the root of the foam block at the center of the z at a right angle)
If you check 'Block Centered in Z' then the center (spanwise) of your blank should be at the center of the Z axis. Root at center Z will make both the root and tip chord too narrow on tapered cores. Check the little diagram when you put in your offset and wedge values before selecting 'cut'.

Nauga,
a man of many reference frames
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:56 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Thanks for the information . I tried the left wing and it did the same thing. when I use the center of the blank as the measure point to the wire instead of the root . it cuts to the lead edge on both cords . not sure what it will look like when I do a real cut on foam . the entry in to the trailing edge starts a little off kilter. I will do a test cut tomorrow .

thanks again,

Dale.
Dale W is offline Find More Posts by Dale W