HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
14 Posts
Discussion
New ARF: Mini FuntanaX or Katana mini?

I've been flying a Trex heli and I'm looking for a new 3D/aerobatic plane to replace my 4-channel sport trainer and put a plank back into my arsenal

Im looking for something that can easily mess around in the local park(i.e. not insanely fast), yet still have some good 3D ability. Needs to be a good, complete ARF that doesnt require a ton of mods just to get flying smoothly.

Anyway, im looking at the Katana Mini from precision aerobatics, and the mini FuntanaX from eflite. Apparently the Katana is "gentle" enough for park flying which is what im looking for, but the Funtana seems like a pretty smooth flyer from videos ive seen. I'm not sure about the build quality on either.

Opinions/comments appreciated. Thanks!
The Flem is offline Find More Posts by The Flem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:38 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Take a look at the 47" Extra 300 tread. It is really hard to beat for your specs.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1996
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:59 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,243 Posts
Both the Katana Mini and the MFX are nice flying planes and you'll be happy with either. The 3DHS Extra 300 SHP is slightly bigger than the KM and MFX and requires the next size larger motor, but is currently setting the standard for park sized 3D'ers.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
549 Posts
I wouldn't buy a mini Funtana X. I didn't like mine at all.

It needed lots of aileron trim, even though the wings weren't warped. Rudder too small.

Overall, not a terrible plane, but it doesn't do anything very well.

Malcolm
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Of the size of the two planes you mention, the new E-Flite Extra 260 sounds like a better choice. The recommended 3D Hobbies Extra SHP is unequivocally the best balsa 3D plane under 55" (since they make a 55" SHP), but is a step up in size.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
The 3DHS Extra 300 SHP is slightly bigger than the KM and MFX and requires the next size larger motor, but is currently setting the standard for park sized 3D'ers.
The funny thing is, when Ben and I were developing the 3DH Extra SHP we said the exact same thing. You've no idea how satisfying that is to hear

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:27 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
wow!

that is a really cool looking plane. I was considering the mini funtanax, the Brio and and Hyperion Katana F3A 10... but now the 3D hobby shop 300SHP is the one i want!

only problem is, how do i get one here in Australia? is there a dealer here?

Regards

Mike
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva
wow!

that is a really cool looking plane. I was considering the mini funtanax, the Brio and and Hyperion Katana F3A 10... but now the 3D hobby shop 300SHP is the one i want!

only problem is, how do i get one here in Australia? is there a dealer here?

Regards

Mike
you will have to call Ben @ 3dhobbyshop and kindly ask. Last i knew he was having issues doing overseas shipping.

The other thing is he wont have any in stock for a couple of weeks ---if you can get ahold of one you will witness and own the finest flying 47" plane on the market!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:21 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
what state are they located?
i have to figure out the time zones so i know when is the best time to call from OZ.

from doing some reading, it seems that the Katana is a slightly better "precision" machine since it has a longer tail... either way, i would be very happy.
Im also thinking of using either the E-flite Power10 or Power15 motor for propulsion. What do you think?

thanks mike
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Ben (3D Hobby) is in Texas, US Central time I believe. I do not think that Ben sleeps, so I do not think that it matters what time you call. If you think that the SHP is too much 3D and not enough pattern, the 3D Hobby Katana may suit your needs a little better ( I am assuming that you were talking about the 3D Hobby Katana). It is an awesome airplane, shown up only by its brother, the SHP, but not to be overlooked.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:37 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
agreed-I've been putting the Kat together over the weekend--those wing filliets make me smile!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero