HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:43 AM
los alamitos ca
Joined Jun 2001
665 Posts
switch back, flash back, mini flash

what's the difference in the planes and flying charestics. I will probably put something along the line of a b20 in it. Thanks for the help.
King Kong is offline Find More Posts by King Kong
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:30 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Fastest to slowest: Flashback, Switchback 3D, MiniFlash.

Same for tracking.

Opposite for maneuverability.

Think of the Flashback as a mini pattern plane and the MiniFlash as a mini 3D/funflyer.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:17 PM
los alamitos ca
Joined Jun 2001
665 Posts
so is the switch back a combination of the two
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:34 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Sonoma County, California
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
Not sure the switchback would be a combo of those planes... And the switchback has different wings to choose from which changes the flight charactoristics. What type of flying are you looking for? What planes have you flown?
TheAddler is offline Find More Posts by TheAddler
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:44 PM
los alamitos ca
Joined Jun 2001
665 Posts
I fly many types of planes. Right now I'm flying a wedgie, a playboy, ocassionally a 2m gnome, and I just lost my hawk (I'm still not sure what happened). I'm looking for soemthing that can do 3D acrobatics, and has enough power to go straight up with a b20.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:51 PM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
Doug....how about a "megaFlash";

This would be a plane designed specifically for a geared Mega 16/15 on 8 to 10 HEcell 1100's. Slow enough airfoil to fly in large schoolyards; a little bigger than the Flashback.

I have been having a ball with my Urbanflyer, but want something a little bigger that can still be flown in limited spaces. I'm thinking about scratch building an UrbanMegaFlyer....
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:55 PM
socflyer
laguna niguel Ca.
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
Who makes the Switchback and it's relatives?
bbetterly is offline Find More Posts by bbetterly
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:05 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
King Kong, that sounds like you are describing the MiniFlash. Dreamer has a B20L in his and it'll go straight up. check out his video.

Bob, I'm going to put a Mega 16/15/ in my MiniFlash, won't be quite so overpowered as Dreamers but I think it will be fine for me. I'm currently using a Mega 16/15/6 in my Switchback Sport with 8 1100 HeCells.

The FlashBack, Switchback and MinFlash can be found at www.Mountainmodels.com

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:05 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Baker
Doug....how about a "megaFlash";

This would be a plane designed specifically for a geared Mega 16/15 on 8 to 10 HEcell 1100's. Slow enough airfoil to fly in large schoolyards; a little bigger than the Flashback.

I have been having a ball with my Urbanflyer, but want something a little bigger that can still be flown in limited spaces. I'm thinking about scratch building an UrbanMegaFlyer....
You just described the Miniflash. I'm flying mine on 9x1100HE's with a Hacker B20-15L. She likes smaller areas much better than the switchback 3D.

bbetterly, check out www.mountainmodels.com for info on all of them.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:10 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Ha ha, great minds think alike. lol Hi Dreamer, let's see if I can beat you to posting the link to your video.

Check this out, it is AWESOME!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h&pagenumber=1

BC
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:23 PM
los alamitos ca
Joined Jun 2001
665 Posts
No! i can't see the video. The windows media player says I need to connect to the internet or insert removeable media. what can i do?
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:24 PM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
You just described the Miniflash. I'm flying mine on 9x1100HE's with a Hacker B20-15L. She likes smaller areas much better than the switchback 3D.

Martin
No, I've seen the MiniFlash; it was designed for a brushed 280-300 sized motor; It seems to me that with the Mega 400 sized motors a considerably larger version should be possible. Of course it probaby wouldn't hover for 10 minutes, but I have no interest in that.
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:33 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
King Kong, try right clicking on it and choose "Save As" to download it onto your harddrive. Then play it from there.

BC
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:55 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Bob, having only flown the MiniFlash on a brushed GWS 370 motor, I can't compare it to the brushless, but it would definately be LOADS of fun with a bit more power. That said, it is by far not underpowered now, but I think a 280 would be too small. Mine will hover with a fresh battery, and has all the vertical I want.

Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:24 AM
Moderated. Severely.
Sonoma County, California
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
Wow, where to start...

Bob, and others,
The mega plane, wuld be the same as the 'hacker' plane. The 16/15/7 DD would be a little less power then a 20 15l 4:1 hacker. But a Mega 16/15/3 (or 4) geared would have amybe a little more power then a hacker, though be a little heavier. Either way, great motors great performance. I have both and love both.

Kong, you are describing the MiniFlash. (and the Switchback) both would go straight up on a Hacker, and fly aerobatics. The miniflash is more '3D' flying.

bob (again
The mega 16/15 series and the hacker 20 series are really the same class. They both draw the same (ish) currant and require similar batteries. A 280-300 size brushless would be like the Astro 010 series. They would run on much lighter batteries. The hacker and the mega we are all talking about are all 400 size replacements. (uh... did I mention this was just MY opinion?

Darren 'opinionated' R/C dude
TheAddler is offline Find More Posts by TheAddler