HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Sep 2003
282 Posts
Discussion
Colorado - Denver Area Events / Hobby Shops

I am in Estes Park this week for a family reunion. We will have some time this weekend and I was wondering if there are any events occurring in the Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins areas, or if there are any hobby shops I should see before returning home to Maryland.

Shawn
sodekirk is offline Find More Posts by sodekirk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
I don't know about events, maybe try searching for flying fields and then checking their websites.

Two major flying fields, Cherry Creek and Chatfield are fun to visit just to watch some flying. Both are associated with really nice parks, so you could combine it with some picnicking, walking, frisbee or whatever you like to do. Both areas have fantastic bikepaths, and we enjoy riding at both places.

-Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Of course if you're up for more of a drive you could wander down to Colorado Springs and visit Stevens Aero and Mountain Models.....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:31 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
I'm curious too. I'm down in Boulder this week and will be in Estes next week. There is a Colorado flyers website I found, but there was nothing listed over this way, mostly to the south and west. I realized to late I went past some phenomenal sites in the mesa verde area, montrose and glennwood springs. I did get a flight off in the great sand dunes park with the dunes as a backdrop, that was pretty cool!

I went to see Bill Stevens in the springs and it was neat to see how they put out the product. Well worth the trip, but I'm lugging three new kits around the country. I kind of hated to take up there time as they are working on some great new models I hope to see soon.

I'll post back if I find anything.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 AM
Joined May 2005
15 Posts
if you are up for a long day, this will be a good event:

http://www.stenulson.net/rcflight/sparcs/silfly8.htm

From northern Colorado, take I-25 south to I-70 in Denver. I-70 west to C-470 south, exit will say "to Colorado Springs" . Perhaps 10 miles south on C-470 to Hwy 285 (either south or west, don't know what the exit will say but definitely not east!) to Fairplay. My guess is that Bill Stevens and the Mountain Models owner will be there. You are looking at a 2 1/2 hour drive from Estes Park.

Roger Hill

Roger Hill
Roger Hill is offline Find More Posts by Roger Hill
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
There is a "Fun Fly" at Cherry Creek in Denver on Saturday... which means if you're not a club member, you will be watching.

Hwy 285 is also known as Hampden Street, and the exit sign does say "Fairplay" on it I think. If you are actually going to Fairplay... it is a really long drive... more than 2.5 hours from Estes Park I think. There are better ways to go if you are starting in Estes too. I would drive through Boulder on Broadway, which is the same road you come in from Estes Park, if you stay to the right. South of Boulder, Broadway becomes highway 93, which goes to Golden, where 93 becomes West 6th Avenue... then get on 470 here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0467&z=14&om=1

You can get off 6th and go on to 470 right near the big City building that we call Taj Mahal... which is funny as hell because it doesn't look anything like it.

C470 "South" is labeled as "East" in this area of town. It's a beltway. It goes all sorts of directions.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Jul 20, 2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:42 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Is there a club there at cherry creek ? My name is Henry and I just arrived in Denver yesterday from florida. Would be interested if someone would contact me. Thanks.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:35 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
As I said, yes there is a club at Cherry Creek, but it's closed today to non-members. Sunday will be open to anyone, but you'll need to pay 5 bucks or get a state parks pass for the whole year for $50-something. I went out east today to Crosswinds RC Club and met some very nice people, but one guy mentioned that Cherry Creek is basically a free-for-all and you do occasionally get some jerks who just won't follow the rules. It can be fun for everyone if it stays organized, but it's a public park... so you get what you get. Chatfield reservoir is the same deal.

I might be out there tomorrow morning (at Cherry Creek), but I burned the heck out my arms today so I might be staying home with massive amounts of aloe vera. We'll see

I forgot that this is Colorado and you need sunscreen AND bug spray! Thank god I put moisturizer with SPF 30 this morning or I'd be totally fried on my face too. 4 hours of looking up into the sky is murder on your eyes too.
Last edited by jasmine2501; Jul 21, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2003
282 Posts
Thanks to all for the comments.
We didn't get out of Estes Park until after noon, so we didn't get to Cherry Creek until about 2:30 pm. Things were winding down, and there was a storm in the afternoon, so I didn't get to see much flying on Saturday.
I went back Sunday morning and had a much better time. I met a couple of friendly people and got to see a lot of flying. I didn't get to spend a lot of time, since the family wanted to go to the butterfly pavillion in Westminster and the Children's Museum, but I had a good time while I was there.
I'd go back Monday morning if I thought there would be people flying, but I suspect most people will need to go to work.
Cherry Creek is a beautiful site. The club field in Frederick, MD is nice, but we don't have paved runways and no shade.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2003
282 Posts
I got out to the field at Chatfield Lake State Park this morning. Another beautiful site. I didn't stay long but got to see a couple Carl Goldberg Tiger models. There was a Tiger 60 and a Tiger 120 or something. I am just finishing up a Tiger 2 electric conversion back home, so it was really nice to see one in the air.
After I got back from the field the family went to the zoo. It was nice but HOT.
I'm going to try to stop by a Rocky Mountain RC Hobbies this evening.
We fly home tomorrow so I doubt I'll get a chance to spectate at any other fields.
I've enjoyed my time in the Denver area. Thanks to all for the comments and advice.

Shawn
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:09 PM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Shawn,
Great you got out to Chatfield, the home of the Jefco Aeromod'lers. This club built the flying field, improves upon and maintains the field. The rules there are strict and inforced to the letter by the nicest, most helpful people to be found in the hobby.
As are most area clubs/flying fields, it's a mostly gasser environment. There had been an electric RC group meeting in Arvada? several years ago. I don't know if they still do. I fly in a small park behind the house or at a private 35 acre horse pasture. Therefore, I'm not current where others are going for Electric RC. PM me the next time you're in town, we'll find them.
ben
ben gearschott is offline Find More Posts by ben gearschott
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben gearschott
Shawn,
Great you got out to Chatfield, the home of the Jefco Aeromod'lers. This club built the flying field, improves upon and maintains the field. The rules there are strict and inforced to the letter by the nicest, most helpful people to be found in the hobby.
As are most area clubs/flying fields, it's a mostly gasser environment. There had been an electric RC group meeting in Arvada? several years ago. I don't know if they still do. I fly in a small park behind the house or at a private 35 acre horse pasture. Therefore, I'm not current where others are going for Electric RC. PM me the next time you're in town, we'll find them.
ben
I was told that Chatfield was a free-for-all and to avoid it on busy days?

And no, electrics are getting a great reception now. The group in Arvada is still going strong. There are two that use that field off Hwy 93... one is the Arvada Modelers Club, and the other is an electric group who I can't remember their name, but they are an auxiliary group and they are all members of Arvada Modelers. The Arvada group's membership guy flat out invited me to come out with the Slow Stick and play around.

Crosswinds out on East County line road is in the middle of nowhere, but it's a really nice paved runway and a lot of open space. There's a little bit of shade but you're pretty exposed out there.

I think you can fly around here in "Open Space" and it's not like anybody would know anyway. You can get pretty far away from civilization if you find the right roads.

There is a club in Ft. Collins but I forget the name of that one too. There's probably others, but I can't remember at the moment. Maybe when I have less blood in my coffee stream

There are also glider clubs and car groups and so on, which it looks like you found one.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:39 PM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Hi,
I checked with Jerry Thompson of Thompson's Hobbies this morning looking for the ERC group in the NW end of town. That group has lost their field and have scattered. the lady is correct inthat most of those people are at the Arvada site off HWY 93. Jerry did tell me there is to be a vintage/old-timer flyin at Arvada this Sat. the 28th.
He said it starts at 9 AM. Anyone knowing more details let us know. Thanks for the heads-up Jasmine.
ben
ben gearschott is offline Find More Posts by ben gearschott
Old Jul 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yeah I was planning to go to that. I'm a huge fan of WW 2 planes. Here's the info:

http://www.arvadamodelers.com/Micros...__2_15_07_.pdf

I don't think you will be able to fly, but you will be able to watch.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Went to Cherry Creek Park on Saturday, but didn't get there until noon and the winds had come up a bit. I drove by the flying field and there was only one guy loading up, no flying. Had a great day at the lake anyhow, CO has the best state park system in the country!!
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB