HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
Discussion
Randy Randolph Jodel for E-power

I probably should have put this thread here, but didn't, so now I'll do it!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704228
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:30 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
This is almost a new design. "D" tube wing leading edge (original was open frame) ailerons added, built up fuselage, and a GWS type stick engine mount.
Purists will note the nonscale wingtips. Full scale Jodel's wings taper on the underside of the dihedral portion.

Regarding photo #3, the Novarossi .50 is NOT for this application!
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Aug 08, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
Electrics installation

All the electrical stuff is installed, including a switch mode BEC since I'm running four servos.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:57 PM
Joined Jul 2007
12 Posts
Are the plans available for the Randy Randolph Jodel and if so where do you get them?
Zingo is offline Find More Posts by Zingo
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:50 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingo
Are the plans available for the Randy Randolph Jodel and if so where do you get them?
They are listed at Model Airplane News' online store - rcstore.com. Search for "Jodel" and you'll find it

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:33 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
MAN plan # FSP 04971. The only things remaining of Randolph's plans with this build are the basic outline and the rib shape. I'm redoing it to make it light enough for e-power.

Randolph used heavy wing spars with no webbing, and plywood dihedral braces; I've done a light D tube instead, with spar carry-throughs for the dihedral break. The fuselage is a slab side over framework on the Randolph design; mine's entirely built up framework.

If you build one too, post shots of your solutions to making it lighter/stronger, please. My way is not the only way!
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Aug 20, 2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
12 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the plan. They have free shipping till the end nof the month.
Zingo is offline Find More Posts by Zingo
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
Jodel wearing red

I didn't realize this Nelson Lite covering was transparent. Oh, welllll... Now, on to the trim. As it is, it weighs just under 16 ounces, so I baarely made my target weight.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Geoff, Nice job on the Jodel! Will be anxiously waiting on the flying reports. She should fly great!

BTW, don't sweat the transulcent look of the cover. In the air it will really glow!

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:39 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
Welllll, Pat, it I can ever build one half as pretty as your builds I'll be delighted!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Geoff, The Jodel looks pretty durn good to me! As long as you're having fun, you're on the right track.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Sep 01, 2007, 05:37 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
First Fright - errr, flight

I forgot my camera, which is fortunate, since it'll save some embarrassment.

The field was busy (four others in the air) so I was nervous. The Jodel rolled about three inches before the tail was in the air, at which point the right wheel decided it did NOT want to go flying, and ran off on its own. (Note to self: Cut off ends of small zip ties, while light, make lousy wheel collars.) A fellow flier offered a pair of collars. They were for 3/16" wire, not my little 1/16". I put them on and hoped the set screws, which were almost clear through the collars, would hold.

By now I thought it best to let a better pilot than I do the maiden hop. I handed my transmitter to one of the club instructors, and he took off with it. Once again, that same right wheel did NOT want to go flying and jumped off just as soon as it felt a lack of terra firma and skedaddled down the runway. But, the major part of the plane was airborne.

Dan, my volunteer test pilot, said the trim was awful. Once he added full down elevator trim and half the aileron trim it flew straight. Then it settled down and, at about 1/3 throttle, put-putted around the pattern in very scale-like fashion. Dan looped it. Well, it was more of a cartwheel - I think the tail just pivoted around the center of gravity with zero forward progress. He tried a stall. No problems. I knew I included all that tip washout for a reason!

Even with a relatively high (11.3 oz/sq. ft) wing loading it floats. That's a good thing when one wheel is AWOL! The landing was amazingly uneventful.

Soooooo, other than adding some proper wheel collars, increasing the horizontal stabilizer incidence, and re-rigging the ailerons, it works. Now on to installing the cowl and trim.
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Sep 15, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 09:12 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,226 Posts
It flies

After resetting the horizontal stabilizer incidence, installing the cowl, warping the wings to make the ailerons run true, and adding 2 degrees downthrust, the little bird is a good flier.

Total weight is exactly 16 ounces, with 261 sq in wing area. Very scale-like flight with a GWS 8-4.

The lightening/strengthening modifications seem to be entirely successful. If you want a simple scale conversion from slab-sided 1/2A slimer to built up stick electric, you could do worse than Randy Randolph's Jodel!
Old Sep 05, 2007, 11:46 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,423 Posts
Cool gotta love a Jodel.........
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Sep 06, 2007, 06:14 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
She's real cute Geoffinpdx

Makes me want to start the Randolph Chips for E power...

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member