HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:28 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Anyone Order Spring Air Retracts 603 from Horizon

Anyone order a main gear micro sytem from Horizon. Does it come with everything I need, valves, hose, air tank etc. Is the air tank the small one? Does it come with the 1/8" wire struts?

Thank you

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:49 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Hi Kelvin,
Thats where I got my set.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
A source of comresed air is all you will need.
You can either bend the 1/8" wier to form an axel , or order the bolt on stub axels.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Nov 11, 2002, 08:42 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Murray
Hi Kelvin,
Thats where I got my set.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
A source of comresed air is all you will need.
You can either bend the 1/8" wier to form an axel , or order the bolt on stub axels.
Are the bolt on stub axels a Spring Air part?

I saw a set of 501's at the local hobby store so I have an idea what comes in the set better but they didn't have the 603s.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:58 PM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
weight

gents

I have been thinking about a set of these what does the whole kit and kaboodle weigh.

I used mechanical retracts on my 54inch mozzie and without wheels they were pretty light under 6 oz i would think. Sadly the mozzie is no more, radio interference robbed me of my baby, but i am thinking of building another, possibly slightly bigger with spring airs instead.

So back to the original question, how much did the whole thing weigh?

cheers

Craig
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:04 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,138 Posts
just call spring-air and talk to bill. He's a really nice fellow and will explain everything that comes with the retract set. Spring-air is here in melbourne,.. actually located next-door to the place that does the laser cutting for my kits. Bill and his son are in our club and both are good pilots (and have spring-air retracts in everything of course ). I have a set of the 600 series in my OV-10 bronco. I did drill them out for 5X32 wire since i knew the bronco would be well over the weight they're intended for (It ended up 7.5 lbs). The retracts were,..if memory serves,.. roughly one ounce per,.. so 3 ounces for the three of them, plus another ounce and a half for the tank, valvle/servo (little HS81, actually had 7 HS81's in that plane).
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:03 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Re: weight

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigO
gents

So back to the original question, how much did the whole thing weigh?

cheers

Craig
I've read that 2 603 mains and the support equipment is 4oz or maybe a little less.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=69867

I saw some of the air tanks at the hobby store and they're very light. The retract set comes with the small tank. Ron Daniels stated in a thread that he was able to get about 20 cycles out of this tank on his 45" Tempest with 603s.

Gordon, in the UK uses 3 of them in his 6.5lb Mig15.

My Kyosho Spit may be close to 7lbs so I may have to do what Gary did for the wire struts.

Kelvin
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:30 PM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts

Installed weight is about 4 ounces.

So, it is 4 ounces heavier than no gear, but probably only 1-2 ouncs heavier than fixed gear.

Very high quality stuff. I use it in a 2 3/4 lb plane.

Ron Daniels
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Nov 13, 2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 09:44 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Daniels

Installed weight is about 4 ounces.

So, it is 4 ounces heavier than no gear, but probably only 1-2 ouncs heavier than fixed gear.

Very high quality stuff. I use it in a 2 3/4 lb plane.

Ron Daniels
That's good news. I'm planning on attempting to mount the gear at a more scale-like position with the gear angled back around 16 degrees aft from a perpindicular line to the fuse. This will give the extended landing gear a forward position.

In order for the wheel to be parallel to the centerline when extended it will be at an angle in the wheel well when retracted from what I can visulize. I was hoping to do gear doors but won't the gear doors be at an angle and not flush with the wing surface? I guess there is no way to do it unless the landing gear rotates a little but these are not designed to do that.

Kelvin